Clean Reads discussion

Books that are clean

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen (tigerlilly88) | 3 comments I would suggest books by Lili Dauphin.
Her books are loved by both young adults and adults. They are based on her experiences growing up as a poverty stricken child in the Caribbean.
"Crying Mountain" is about Tilou and her survival during a class 4 hurricane.
"I Will Fly Again-the Restavek" is about her surviving child slavery. "My First Sin" is about Tilou searching for her sin so she can take her first communion.
Tilou inspires and motivates us to never lose faith. To forgive those who betray us. To be generous even if we have very little. To be kind to those who are unkind to us. I learned to appreciate what I have.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

The Chronicles of Narnia. I love them!

message 3: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 75 comments Thanks for your suggestions!

I too love the Chronicles of Narnia. (The movies have actually lived up completely to my expectations.) I should pull those back out.

I tried without success to find Lili Dauphin at my local library. Perhaps I will have to widen my search.

I have recently discovered Shannon Hale's books, and they are delightful. I'm on my way to the library today to pick up Goose Girl.

Keep the suggestions coming!

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen (tigerlilly88) | 3 comments Lili Dauphin's books are not in the library. You can order them online.
What is Goose Girl about?

message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie | 1 comments I loved the Goose Girl. It was an easy read, and kept me wrapped up in it till the end. It is very good. I haven't read the other ones in the series, but have heard they're good as well (not as good, though). I also love the Twilight Series, but I'm sure you've all read them already.

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura | 11 comments Hi Everyone,
It's refreshing to find readers who like clean books! Tracy, thanks for starting this group.
I'm an author and a reader who is thinking of starting a local book club, and I'm scouring the Internet for clean books to add to my Reading List. My novel, Daughter of Mine, is a clean book that explores a young woman's journey as she searches for her roots.
For more information, please visit my Web site www.laurafabiani.com.
I look forward to future discussions.
Laura Fabiani

message 7: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 75 comments Hi Laura. Sorry I didn't write back sooner. Thanks for your suggestion. I am very happy to know that there are authors like you out there that are writing books I could read, and comfortably recommend to my friends. Thanks. Best of luck with your book. (And sorry it's kind of quiet on here - I'm just too busy reading to write much... :))

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen (tigerlilly88) | 3 comments Lili Dauphin has a new book out called "the Thinking Cow." It is short stories, each of them has a moral or message. At the end of each story is a blank pages where you can write your thoughts. It's fun to do this with children or in a group setting. It sets the stage for lively discussion and interaction.

message 9: by Emma (new)

Emma | 1 comments I would recommend Mitch albom books I have recently read,the five people you meet in heaven, and one last day. both are great reads for those who like a clean read.

message 10: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 75 comments Thanks one and all for your great suggestions. Keep 'em coming.

I've recently discovered the "Shadow Children" series (Among the Hidden, Among the Imposters, Among the Barons, etc.) by Margaret Peterson Haddix. I can't put them down. They are found in the YA fiction section, and I highly recommend them.

message 11: by Minerva (new)

Minerva (minervavasquez) | 3 comments Try Justina Chen Headley...I just read North of Beautiful and it is a very profound book about accepting physical imperfections...no bad words, nothing explicit...a PG 13 book but one that is appealing to adults as well

message 12: by Minerva (new)

Minerva (minervavasquez) | 3 comments Laura Resau is another author whose aim is to appeal to a wide audience. I just read Red Glass--the main character, Sophie, goes through a journey of change as she travels with a foster child to Mexico...many love stories in this one! But, clean, clean, clean!

message 13: by joy (new)

joy *the clean-reader extraordinaire* (joytotheworld) | 98 comments if you like fairy tales and fantasy, i've just discovered the author robin mckinley. so far her books are great and super-clean, though not written with that as the purpose.

message 14: by Chantele (new)

Chantele Sedgwick Jessica Day George writes clean books. If you like fantasy and fairytale retellings.:) All of Shannon Hale's young adult books are great! Lisa Mangum has a book called The Hourglass Door that I loved. Obviously I like YA...:)

message 15: by joy (new)

joy *the clean-reader extraordinaire* (joytotheworld) | 98 comments i would now rescind my unconditional recommendation for robin mckinley. i LOVED the blue sword and chalice , as well as her retellings of fairy tales, but sunshine was definitely R rated, and i didn't think much of dragonhaven , either.