Romance on Audio discussion

Thoughts or questions about audiobooks

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lupdilup (new)

Lupdilup | 510 comments Mod
I like to your thoughts, and if you have any questions.

message 2: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 296 comments Thought I put this here. I was surprised; at the pharmacy today I saw they had audio books. Wow! They are becoming so much more popular.

message 3: by Lupdilup (new)

I know! I got 5 of my co-workers to start listening to audio books, now they love it, is just such a great way to do other thing while still being able to enjoy the books.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) As my Library has very little in their selection, can anyone suggest a Canadian site to order them from?

message 5: by Lupdilup (new)

The best way is to download them to your computer and then you can transfer them to any listening device, eg: mp3 player, Ipod, iphone, blacberry etc.
this is a much cheaper way to buy them, this is a good site:
http://www.weread4you.com
Check it out, sometimes they have promotions like, buy one and get 3, they have a pretty good selection but is not as good as audiable.com, but for that site you have to become a member, if you want to know more about it or need help on how to transfer your books to your Mp3 player, just let me know, I'll be happy to help.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Thanks for your help Lupdilup,I dont own any of the above( the computer yes..but not good at it) This is a good link..problem is when its US the exchange ends up costing more as well as shipping...I guess I need to buy an Mp3 or Ipod..Im just not good with having to figure out how these work..I guess the library is the cheapest way to go..just their selection isnt always up to date.

message 7: by Lupdilup (new)

You are not alone, I had to show most of my girlfriends how to transfer then to an Mp3 player, mp3 players are getting real cheap now days, you can get one for $20.00. I have some videos from U tube that show you how to this step by step, just let me know and I can help. I don't pay any handi man anymore lol.. I just go to utube and I'm sure to find a video that shows me how to fix just about anything..lol.

message 8: by Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (last edited Apr 25, 2011 12:54PM) (new)

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Lupdilup wrote: "You are not alone, I had to show most of my girlfriends how to transfer then to an Mp3 player, mp3 players are getting real cheap now days, you can get one for $20.00. I have some videos from U tub..."

Who knew!? what a great idea! I did borrow my daughters Mp3 to put some music on it for my walking once..thought I did it right..but after she laughed and said"what the heck did you do?" I think that goes along with when I download stuff & cant figure out where it went nor can I find it LOL! No..these things and I dont mix..but once I DO get the hang of it..all's good :) But U tube..III have to check it out thanks!

message 9: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 296 comments Lupdilup, Thanks for the YouTube idea! Maybe I'll buy one if they are only $20 - any suggestions on brand names?

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Lisa Kay wrote: "Lupdilup, Thanks for the YouTube idea! Maybe I'll buy one if they are only $20 - any suggestions on brand names?"

And would you say one is better than the other?
Mp3 verses Ipod?

message 11: by Lupdilup (new)

It really doesn't matter, just for listening to books you can go with the cheapest one, you do need maybe to spend a little more on the earphones, you do want them to be comfortable. If you get one and need help, just let me know.(just make sure its got at least 1 gig of memory),you know what, I just thought, I could go to walmart website (later tonight) and send you a link, you do have a walmart right??? lol. I now live in Mississippi and I forget what the rest to country looks like...lol, down here your house value goes according to how close you are to waltmart...LOL

message 12: by Lupdilup (new)

Ipod is better, you can get one for like $35

message 13: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 296 comments I have a Walmart nearby. And yes, I think everyone does. LOL! This is sweet of you; thanks!

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Im in Canada and yes they are all over!That would be great if you could give us that link thanks Lupdilup!
And they will probably be more here than in the US :(

message 15: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 296 comments Lupdilup, It would help me if you referred on with a YouTube instruction video. Thanks!

message 16: by Lupdilup (new)

Sure thing. I'll post the links tonight,

message 17: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 296 comments Thanks!

message 18: by Lupdilup (new)

Ok, this one is a pretty good deal:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ematic-4GB-...
I don't see the one my friend bought for $20.00, but this one is only $25.00 and is a lot better.

message 19: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 296 comments Thanks, Lupdilup!

message 20: by Lupdilup (last edited Apr 25, 2011 07:22PM) (new)

Here is the video for transferring the books from computer to mp3 player, this will work with books you can borrow from the library or you buy from audible or we read4you, remember you want to download the books in mp3 format
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSDufW...
I hope this helps.
Now if you have CD books you can first upload them to the computer and then transfer them, that's a whole other animal. lol, is not hard I can write step by step directions if you need them, or you can alway do a youtube search.

message 21: by Lupdilup (new)

message 22: by Lupdilup (new)

This video is for the Sacramento library but is the same system for most public libraries.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--LoGM...
All these are pretty good, I'm going to put them up on my website.

message 23: by Lupdilup (new)

The Ipod shuffle is $45.00, they have a bundle deal, but is more complicated to transfer mp3 books, is only easy is you buy from Itunes and their audiobooks are more expensive.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) These are all great links! Thank you so much Lupdilup!

message 25: by Shellbelle (last edited May 14, 2011 08:35PM) (new)

Shellbelle Hi there I'm new to the group, but I just wanted to add, I have been getting tons of Audio books thru my state lib. online! The easiest ones are in OverDrive format, but the others, I just download to my itunes and then sync it to my iphone! Love it! Plus I can burn Cd's of them too. I also check out audio's from actual lib. and download them to Itunes, or just listen to them in my car while I'm driving. Another website to get get Audio Books from is http://www.audible.com/ they are always running specials, like a free audiable book if you sign up:)

message 26: by Lupdilup (new)

Shellbelle wrote: "Hi there I'm new to the group, but I just wanted to add, I have been getting tons of Audio books thru my state lib. online! The easiest ones are in OverDrive format, but the others, I just download..."

Welcome to the group! I love the audible app for the Iphone, it's great isn't?

message 27: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 296 comments Welcome, Shellbelle! Glad you made it here.

message 28: by Shellbelle (new)

Shellbelle Thanks guys! I do love the audible app, and the overdrive app! Makes life so much more simple:)

message 29: by Shellbelle (new)

Shellbelle Hey there, I have two Audible credits I have to use up soon! and I was hoping you guys could give me some recommendations on some audio's with a good narr. I would like one of the audio books I get to be either YA, or if it's adult it has to be clean, because I need something I can listen to in the car, and with teenagers smutt isn't an option!lol The other one I download will prob. go on my phone, so smutt isn't a factor!:D I really open to anything, but I prefer Romance in my books, but it doesn't matter what genre, I like them all!

message 30: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 9 comments Shellbelle~ re: "teen-safe" books

Patricia Briggs' YA books are good. There is the Hurog Duology, plus the Aralorn series (first two are on audible).

My family loved listening to the P.G. Wodehouse Jeeves and Wooster books on trips. If they'll listen to romance but you want it clean, Georgette Heyer books are safe. Also, don't forget the tried and true: Jane Austen. Even my teen boys liked these.

The Dorothy L Sayer's Lord Peter Wimsey books are quite good as well. They're mysteries, so you may have to deal with the dead bodies, but they aren't gruesome.

I haven't listened to these, but the Hunger Games books are very popular and have good ratings on audible.

Good luck!

message 31: by Shellbelle (new)

Shellbelle Thanks for all those suggestions! I'll have to look into to those, they sound great:) I didn't realize Patricia Briggs had YA! We have the Hunger Games already, but the rest is all new recommendations (except Austen, which I couldn't pay my daughter to listen to or read!lol, however I adore her:)

Anyone know of any good adult selections now? I have been listening to a lot of Historical romance on audio, so I'm ready for a bit of a change!

message 32: by Carrie (last edited May 19, 2011 05:50PM) (new)

Carrie | 9 comments I don't know what you've read already, but I've enjoyed the SEP Chicago Stars series. I've also recently listened to an amazing sci-fi with romance, Shards of Honour by Lois McMaster Bujold. A rare 5* book for me. Jennifer Crusie has several great audiobooks. I know Welcome to Temptation is a perennial favorite, and I've enjoyed Charlie All Night, The Cinderella Deal, and Anyone But You on audio.

If you like romantic suspense, Nora Roberts High Noon is good, as is Linda Howard's Dream Man. Black Ice by Anne Stuart was a surprise for me. I thought I might hate the hero, but I actually really liked the book.

Exclusively Yours by Shannon Stacey is highly rated, although i personally didn't like the book. The narrator is great, I just didn't like the heroine at all, but I'm definitely in the minority. Lastly, I've heard really great things about Envy by Sandra Brown, including how good the narrator is.

message 33: by Shellbelle (new)

Shellbelle So many good choices! I just listened to a book by Jennifer Cruise and I really enjoyed it! I have read all of the Chicago Stars books, but I'm thinking I might revisit them..choices, choices!lol Thanks for all the suggestions! My biggest concern is always the Nar., nothing can ruine a book quicker than a bad Nar.

message 34: by Melanie♥ (new)

Melanie♥ (meliaann) I purchase quite a few MP3 CD and regular CD audiobooks. Every time Barnes and Noble has a good coupon, I add to my collection.

Is there any interest among the members for swapping physical MP3CD/CD audiobooks?

I usually just list them on www.paperbackswap.com, but would rather trade for more audiobooks.

Thanks!!

message 35: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 296 comments I might be, Melanie. I have quite a few CDs, but unfortunately most of them are packed away in anticipation of my moving. It might be few months b/f I can get them organized.

message 36: by Melanie♥ (new)

Melanie♥ (meliaann) When you get around to it, just let me know and we can swap lists. I've been holding off listing them on pbs as I currently have plenty of credits there, so I am happy to hold onto them for a while longer =)

message 37: by Lupdilup (new)

Melanie wrote: "I purchase quite a few MP3 CD and regular CD audiobooks. Every time Barnes and Noble has a good coupon, I add to my collection.

Is there any interest among the members for swapping physical MP3CD..."

I don't have many on CD I've always bought either Mp3 or from audible, but is a good idea to start a new discussion, feel free to do so.
Maybe peeps can post what they have and are willing to trade

message 38: by Melanie♥ (new)

Melanie♥ (meliaann) Lupdilup wrote: "Melanie wrote: "I purchase quite a few MP3 CD and regular CD audiobooks. Every time Barnes and Noble has a good coupon, I add to my collection.

Is there any interest among the members for swappin..."

Great idea. I will do that. Thanks =)