Harlequin Presents Readers discussion

Themes > Harlequin Presents With Russian Heroes!

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (last edited Feb 04, 2011 07:22AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 2280 comments Mod
I think the HP line editors are reading my mind. There are a slew of HP books with Russians.

An Obsessive Love by Sarah Holland
Ruthless Russian, Lost Innocence (Harlequin Presents, #2920) by Chantelle Shaw The Christmas Love-Child (Modern Romance, #906) by Jennie Lucas The Ruthless Magnate's Virgin Mistress (Virgin Brides, Arrogant Husbands, #2) (Harlequin Presents, #2787) by Lynne Graham The Last Kolovsky Playboy (Harlequin Presents (Larger Print)) by Carol Marinelli Devil Wears Kolovsky by Carol Marinelli Prince Voronov's Virgin by Lynn Raye Harris The Millionaire Affair (Harlequin Presents No. 2089)(Notting Hill Grooms) by Sophie Weston

message 2: by KatLynne (new)

KatLynne | 2 comments Thank you so much for this list Danielle. I have been searching for HP books with Russians since reading The Christmas Love Child by Jennie Lucas.

message 3: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (last edited Feb 06, 2011 08:09PM) (new)

You're welcome, Katlynne. I'm happy to share the Russian hero love!

If you find some, please add them to the list!

message 4: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

Wow, I didn't realize there were others who had Jones for the Russian heroes. :)

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateperegrinate) I love a good Russian hero, too! I've always been interested in Russia (even ended up minoring in Russian language in college).

message 6: by Vashti (new)

Vashti | 732 comments love the R ussian hero's, maybe a new trend is starting...esp loved theLG russian and the JL one.

message 7: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

I have this intense fascination with Russia. It's only gotten worse.

message 8: by Lemon (new)

Lemon | 801 comments Mod
The Most Coveted Prize (Mills & Boon Modern) by Penny Jordan The Most Coveted Prize by Penny Jordan.

This book is available now online via Mills & Boon and will be available as an HP October 18. This looks rather intriguing and from the description, it looks like a series.

message 9: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

Yay! Thanks, Lulu!

message 10: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

I wonder if she's going to write a book for the business rival/brother too.

message 11: by Lemon (last edited Sep 03, 2011 04:37PM) (new)

Lemon | 801 comments Mod
Yes!

The Power of Vasilii (Mills & Boon Modern) by Penny Jordan The Power of Vasilii available October at Mills & Boon and November 15 as HP.

message 12: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

Aw, there you go! You rock, Lulu!

message 13: by Vashti (new)

Vashti | 732 comments Thanks Lulu,I adore the Russian heros,I don't know but ever since I saw EASTERN PROMISES with Viggo Mortenson,the Russian hero is it for me.

message 14: by Lemon (new)

Lemon | 801 comments Mod
Vashti wrote: "Thanks Lulu,I adore the Russian heros,I don't know but ever since I saw EASTERN PROMISES with Viggo Mortenson,the Russian hero is it for me."

I admit I really don't have a thing for Russian men or Russian heroes. But I'll take Viggo Mortenson whether he is colored Russian, Scandinavian, pink, blue, purple or whatever else you paint him :P.

message 15: by Vashti (new)

Vashti | 732 comments LOL,he is something is'nt he?When I read about these Russian heros,I just picture him in place of the H's.

message 16: by Lemon (new)

Lemon | 801 comments Mod
Vashti wrote: "LOL,he is something is'nt he?When I read about these Russian heros,I just picture him in place of the H's."

I'll be sure to do that when I read this book. Or better yet, Daniel Craig. The brother/rival can be Timothy Dalton. Yeah, I know they are British and James Bond, but it's my fantasy after all :P.

message 17: by Vashti (new)

Vashti | 732 comments I can see Daniel Craig as the brother,loved him as Bond!

message 18: by Lemon (new)

Lemon | 801 comments Mod
Mia wrote: "Ditto. Daniel Craig would make a great Russian Hero."

Daniel Craig would make a great anything in my book, LOL.

message 19: by Vashti (new)

Vashti | 732 comments Oh my,don't get me started on Pierce!

message 20: by Lemon (new)

Lemon | 801 comments Mod
Mia wrote: "Well, may I add Brad Pitt & Pierce Brosnon too..."

Yes, please!

message 21: by Virginia (new)

Virginia (goodreadscomginny) | 264 comments I have never watched any James Bond movies so I don't know Craig and what he looks like but I was disappointed that Piece lost his James Bond. I think he iis great and am just adjusting to the Russian heroes in the HP series. I have a few books with Russian heroes in my stack to read. Perhaps you can help me selectr one or two to get started. Ginny

message 22: by Lemon (last edited Sep 10, 2011 11:55AM) (new)

Lemon | 801 comments Mod
Virginia wrote: "I have never watched any James Bond movies so I don't know Craig and what he looks like but I was disappointed that Piece lost his James Bond. I think he iis great and am just adjusting to the Ru..."

I haven't read any myself but Lady D loves them. I raided through Lady D's Russian hero shelf and she gave four stars to the following:

The Christmas Love-Child (Snow, Satin and Seduction) (Harlequin Presents Extra, #78) by Jennie Lucas The Christmas Love-Child (Snow, Satin and Seduction) by Jennie Lucas

The Ruthless Magnate's Virgin Mistress (Virgin Brides, Arrogant Husbands, #2) (Harlequin Presents, #2787) by Lynne Graham The Ruthless Magnate's Virgin Mistress (Virgin Brides, Arrogant Husbands, #2) by Lynne Graham.

I'm sure Lady D and Vashti (they are the Russian hero experts) can give you more recommendations, Ginny.

Pierce Brosnan made a very dashing and debonair James Bond, but he was portrayed as a bit of a softie in my opinion. I like the grit embodied in Daniel Craig's version of James Bond. I don't know how to attach an image in html, but you can click here for a picture of Daniel Craig.

message 23: by Vashti (new)

Vashti | 732 comments Lulu,Daniel Craig made a yummy James Bond,very manly and I liked the roughness on how he played him.I think it was a more realistic portrayl of how a master super sexy spy should be.Pierce will always have a special place for me as I loved him in Remington Steele........Anyways,loved Danielle's titles on the Russian heros.Penny Jordan has the 2 comming up and Sharon Kendrick has one out,haven't read it as yet though.Carol Marienelli [sp?]has a series called the Koslovsky's which is about Russian designers set .I have read some and they are in an Australian setting,some good,some did not care for as she is a hit/miss with me.

message 24: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateperegrinate) Even though it wasn't set in Russia (and the most of the protagonists had spent most of their lives in Australia), I really enjoyed the House of Kolovsky series.

message 25: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

On my reading list, Kate. I liked your reviews.

message 26: by Reader in NJ (new)

Reader in NJ (readerinnj) | 147 comments Kate wrote: "Even though it wasn't set in Russia (and the most of the protagonists had spent most of their lives in Australia), I really enjoyed the House of Kolovsky series."

Kate, for the most part I enjoyed that series also. I did not like the "Devil" book for one small thing that could have been left out of the book. I don't want to spoil the book for those who haven't read it yet. How do you insert spoilers so the type isn't shown until you click on it?

message 27: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateperegrinate) If you surround the text with [spoiler] and [/spoiler], except use <> instead of [].

The thing that bugged me about the Kolovsky books was that the transliteration of Russian was hard to figure out and I'm not sure all of the names were real Russian names (at least they weren't any that I've ever come across).

message 28: by Reader in NJ (last edited Sep 10, 2011 07:30PM) (new)

Reader in NJ (readerinnj) | 147 comments Kate wrote: "If you surround the text with [spoiler] and [/spoiler], except use instead of [].

The thing that bugged me about the Kolovsky books was that the transliteration of Russian was hard to figure out ..."

Kate, agree that some of the names weren't really Russian.

I'll try posting the SPOILER: (view spoiler)

Thanks for the tip about posting SPOILERS -- it worked. :-)

message 29: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateperegrinate) The last book (Devil Wears Kolovsky/Bride for Kolosky) was the weakest. I really liked having Lavinia's story told since she was such a baddie in The Last Kolovsky Playboy, but I really didn't care for the hero. The story was too focused on her instead of them for me to ever get a sense of them as a couple.

message 30: by Reader in NJ (new)

Reader in NJ (readerinnj) | 147 comments Kate wrote: "The last book (Devil Wears Kolovsky/Bride for Kolosky) was the weakest. I really liked having Lavinia's story told since she was such a baddie in The Last Kolovsky Playboy, but I really didn't care..."

Kate, you are right, the story was too focused on Lavinia. But, once I read the part in my spoiler, that ruined the entire book for me and I really didn't care what happened with the characters after that. A few years down the road I can see him cheating on her and not thinking anything of it.

message 31: by rm2h (new)

rm2h | 22 comments Here is a Russian hero book but it just came out in US so I do not know if it is any good or not:

Too Proud to be Bought by Sharon Kendrick Too Proud to be Bought

message 32: by 3meg (new)

3meg | 361 comments Too Proud to be Bought was pretty good. I would say 3.5 stars. Seemed a little to on again off again to every really be good but I liked the characters.

message 33: by Vashti (new)

Vashti | 732 comments I have that one,maybe will read it today,have't read an HP in a while.

message 34: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateperegrinate) I just finished Too Proud to be Bought. I really liked that the hero let the heroine keep her waitressing job even when she was his live-in mistress, especially after I'd just been infuriated by another book where the hero was against the heroine ever going back to practicing law for most of the book.

However, I didn't think the hero as particularly Russian. Exchange his Russian name, the references to him being Russian, and the few Russian terms on endearment that he uses with those of any Greek, Italian or Spanish hero, and it would have been the same exact book.

And it really, really bugged me that "нет" was transliterated as "net" instead of "nyet".

message 35: by Vashti (new)

Vashti | 732 comments Kate wrote: "I just finished Too Proud to be Bought. I really liked that the hero let the heroine keep her waitressing job even when she was his live-in mistress, especially after I'd just been ..."

Read that one ,and it was meh for me.Could not connect with the heroine.Would have loved to knoe what his endearments meant! figured out "moy angel" because I read it in a LG book,lol.I agree with you Kate that he was interchangable with other heros who are French,Spanish,etc.....

message 36: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

Kate, I think that would bother me too. Plus I hate the mistress storyline with a passion.

message 37: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateperegrinate) Vashti wrote: "Would have loved to knoe what his endearments meant! figured out "moy angel" because I read it in a LG book,lol."

I'm compulsive about looking up any Russian that's used in HPs in my dictionary (which is why I hate when the transliteration is bad). "Milaya moya" means "my darling" or "my sweetheart".

Danielle wrote: "Plus I hate the mistress storyline with a passion."

I didn't find the mistress storyline as awful as some because the heroine is pretty strong willed and doesn't drop everything to become his beck-and-call girl. She still waitresses, keeps her own house and doesn't allow him to buy her anything.

message 38: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

Then I wouldn't consider her a mistress in that scenario. Sounds like she's a girlfriend or a lover moreso.

message 39: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateperegrinate) Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Then I wouldn't consider her a mistress in that scenario. Sounds like she's a girlfriend or a lover moreso."

I agree, although they both use the "mistress" moniker probably because he's one of those "I'll never marry, I'll never have kids, I can't love anyone" heroes. I imagine he thinks the other terms would insinuate that she'd someday be his fiancée or wife.

I really liked the sentiment and storyline in this book. I just wish that other aspects of their personalities had been developed so they weren't so generic.

message 40: by Sam (new)

Sam (tahseen) | 16 comments just finished reading all these books with russian heroes.. loved it.. i am waiting to read penny jordan's The Most Coveted Prize and Power of vasilli.. couldnt find these two.. thanks a lot for the list.. really enjoyed it..

message 41: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

I'll give it a try since ended up liking it despite the issues you had, Kate.

Sam, I think this is a great list. Nice to know where to find the Russian heroes.

message 42: by Lemon (last edited Sep 26, 2011 09:22AM) (new)

Lemon | 801 comments Mod
Sam-

The Most Coveted Prize and Power of Vasilii are not yet out in the North America market. They will be published in October and November, respectively. The Most Coveted Prize is available now in the UK from Mills & Boon.

message 43: by Lemon (last edited Sep 26, 2011 09:51AM) (new)

Lemon | 801 comments Mod
Lululemon wrote: "Sam-

The Most Coveted Prize and Power of Vasilii are not yet out in the North America market. They will be published in October and November, respectively. The Most Coveted Prize is available now..."

Clarification- these titles will be officially out in November and December, respectively, but ebooks are available online from the Mills & Boon website one month earlier than the official publication date.

Two more upcoming Russian hero books from Mills & Boon are below. It seems these will not be published in the North America market in 2011 as I do not see them listed in the upcoming Harlequin Presents book list for 2011.

Innocent in the Ivory Tower by Lucy Ellis Innocent in the Ivory Tower by Lucy Ellis - UK October publication date with ebook available now online from Mills & Boon website. This one seems like another one where the hero is just Russian but nothing else about the book relates to Russia. The setting is Italy. Huh?

Kholodov's Last Mistress (Mills & Boon Modern) by Kate Hewitt Kholodov's Last Mistress by Kate Hewitt- available in UK in November through Mills & Boon.

message 44: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

Thanks for the update, Lulu!

message 45: by Sam (new)

Sam (tahseen) | 16 comments thanks a lot lululemon.. will read these two books.. and am waiting for oct and nov to come...

message 46: by Asteropê (new)

Asteropê (21tauri) | 82 comments There's the just released:

UK: One Night Heir by Lucy Monroe
US: One Night Heir by Lucy Monroe

He's described as a Cossack in the book, which refers to Slavic ancestry.