Ms. Wieder's Humanities Crew discussion

Assignments > What are you reading? OR What will you start reading?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ms. Wieder (last edited Feb 04, 2011 09:17AM) (new)

Ms. Wieder (mswieder) | 66 comments Mod
Please respond to the following prompts in 150 words or more. You don’t need to respond to the questions in a list, but can compose a paragraph answering the questions together. ALL POSTS DUE BY SUNDAY, 2/6/11 at 5PM.

1.What book are you currently reading?
2.Where are you in the book? How far do you want to be in one week (if we give you some homework time for homework and classwork)?
3.Are you enjoying your book? Are you enjoying it more or less than previous books you’ve read for free choice? Why or why not? What does this tell you about yourself as a reader (your preferences, interests, etc.)?
4. Where and when are you doing your reading? How is this working for you? What distractions bother you or keep you from getting lost in your book?

OR

1. What book will you be starting THIS WEEKEND?
2. How did you choose this book? What makes it seem interesting to you?
3. What's your reading "plan"? Where and when will you read this book? Is there a friend reading the same book that you could have a mini book club with?

REMEMBER TO BRING YOUR BOOK TO CLASS ON MONDAY!!!

message 2: by Till (new)

Till (TillKallem) | 12 comments I am currently reading Stargirl by by Jerry Spinelli. I am on page 43. I want to get to page 70 in the next week but I don't know if I will get enough time. I haven't been reading. The book seems okay, but I haven't really been reading it because we were reading Akhenaten, so I didn't have time for any other reading whatsoever. I liked my last book better because it was a little more interesting. I don't really get the plot of the book I'm reading now because the writing style is strange to me. I almost find the book too stereotypical and unoriginal and it just makes me feel weird when I read it. I hopefully will be able to get into it soon. This tells me that I like more complex books. It also tells me that I am not a very good reader because I don't read. I should probably start soon. I haven't been reading, so I can't say when and where. The last time I really read was right before school started this year and I read in my living room during the day. Obviously, not reading hasn't been working for me. I can't get lost in my book because I never find any time to read with homework and my other responsibilities. I guess I could read on the weekend but I have been so out of my book that I'm not even interested in reading at all. I'm not even interested in starting a new book. Besides, after the week I like to just relax. I also have homework on the weekends so that is my priority, not reading for pleasure.

ilov tac obel (josue mejia) (ilovtacobeljosuemejia) | 8 comments it's cool to be the second one to post on this assignment and i am writing this sentence so i can get atleast 150 words.so................i will be reading a child called it by dave pelzeri chose this book by grabbing it picking it up, putting my name on the signout sheet and taking the book. the title makes the book really interesting to me because it is a really interesting title to me because it just is. my reading plan is to read the book with my eyes only not borrowing someone elses eyes. i will read this book at my house, bart, and maybe at school while ssr and i will read it at the time that i could read it like at night or morning. idk if there is anyone reading the same book. i have 150 words. count if you don't believe me.

Jonah or Jonahmus Jackson Prime | 9 comments Im currently reading Percy Jackson and the Olympians: the Last Olympian, and Harry Potter and the order of the pheonix, the half blooded prince, and the deathly hallows.
In the Order of the pheonix, Im on the middle part of the part of the book,say like on page 189, but Im also starting on the Percy Jackson and the Olympians.
YUP! Im really enjoying it, I enjoyed it alot, because its my favorite story, I only like bools that its about a boy and a girl in the story.I do it sometimes on my free time. I works if everything is quiet and peaceful, and I read book alone.I got lost when my sisters started singing Taylor Swift.
Im finishing the harry potter books and the Percy Jackson and the olympians: The last Olympian book.
I always wanted to finish the series of Percy jackosn and harry potter books. Harry Potter is the only magic battle that had happened in the book and Percy Jackson is not only about Greek mythology, but its a love story type thing. I can only read when I alone or if the room is silent. At home and at school(If I can that is). I don't think so.

message 5: by Marco (new)

Marco Fung i want to read the outsider by SE Hinton. i found this book from the library and i think the book sounds pretty cool from the back of it. the book seems very interesting because it talks about gangs and i want to learn about gang violence. my reading plan is to read it when i have free time or during ssr time. i will try to read at school and at home, because those are the most quiet place i go to usually. i get bothered by interesting things and when i get too much sugar i cant focus. i dont think i have anyone that is going to read the same book as me.

message 6: by Ms. Wieder (new)

I completely understand how hard it is to fit in pleasure reading! We won't be reading a novel in class together for a couple months, so this is a great time to get back into it. But I wonder if this is the right book, since you don't seem that excited to return to it. Maybe a fresh start would help?

Till wrote: "I am currently reading Stargirl by by Jerry Spinelli. I am on page 43. I want to get to page 70 in the next week but I don't know if I will get enough time. I haven't been reading. The book seems o..."

message 7: by Ms. Wieder (new)

Wow, Josue! You were very interested in meeting the 150 word requirement. And I believe you, so I'm not going to count the words, either with my own eyes or with borrowed eyes;) I'm interested to hear if this is the right book for you!

ilov tac obel (josue mejia) wrote: "it's cool to be the second one to post on this assignment and i am writing this sentence so i can get atleast 150 words.so................i will be reading a child called it by dave pelzeri chose t..."

message 8: by Ms. Wieder (new)

Why is Taylor Swift always ruining everything for everyone? Jeez. Anyway, I'm glad you're into all of these books. Is there one you want to focus on right now?

Jonah wrote: "Im currently reading Percy Jackson and the Olympians: the Last Olympian, and Harry Potter and the order of the pheonix, the half blooded prince, and the deathly hallows.
In the Order of the pheoni..."

message 9: by Ms. Wieder (new)

Many, many students have loved this book. It sounds like it will be a good match for you, too! Stay off the sugar, Marco.

Marco wrote: "i want to read the outsider by SE Hinton. i found this book from the library and i think the book sounds pretty cool from the back of it. the book seems very interesting because it talks about gang..."

message 10: by Emily (new)

Emily (EmilyDuong) | 10 comments I'm going to start reading Pretty Little Liars : Perfect by Sara Shepard this weekend. I already read the first two books over the summer and never got back to reading the rest of the series, I find it really interesting because it's a mystery book, and it's sort of like gossip, which makes it even more interesting. My cousin started reading it and said it was amazing, so I decided to read it, and I love it. I also love the TV show, which is really good but not as good as the book. I don't really have an exact reading plan. but I think I'm going to try to read consistently everyday to keep a good pace and not fall behind. I'm going to read this book after school,possibly in my room or somewhere nice and quiet. I don't think there's anyone reading the same book as me.

message 11: by Guston (new)

Guston Cole | 9 comments 1) this weekend i will start reading the book The Hunger Games by suzane collins.
2)i chose this book from the last goodreads assignment and fedor gave it 5 stars so it looks really interesting. also alot of my other friends have read it and they said it was really good.the setting of the story got me particually interested, it takes place in north america in the future where they have game shows to the death.
3)my reading plan for this book is to read at least 20 minutes a day as an average.i will usually read this book in bed or on my bean bag. OR on long car rides and airplane flights.so i would read it anytime.all of my friends that i am aware have read the Hunger Games are already finished with the book.

message 12: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (briannamarie) | 4 comments I am currently reading Every Breath You Take by Judith McNaught.
I just started this morning and Im on page 33,if I have time I can be on page 100 by the end of next week but if I dont, I'll be happy to get to page 70. I like this book but, its not that interesting at the moment the last book I read was way better. I read at home, in my room. When I have free time. Its workig out okay but sometimes I read with the t.v on and that gets pretty distracting. AS for this weekend I dont think i'll read at all. I just dont have the time with homework and family plans, etc. Plus, the weekends are more for relaxing and I haven't been able to get lost in a book since christmas break. The only plan I could say I have right now is to find more freetime. Lastly, im positive no one is going to or is reading this book.

message 13: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Powell (kimkim) | 4 comments 1. I am reading someone to love me by Ann Schraff.
2. I chose this book because i read a lot of books by this author and her series.
3. I like it so far. Yes i am enjoying it more than then the previous book because i like action and the other book didn't.This tells tells me that i'm really into peoples drama.
4. I'm doing my reading at making waves around 5:30

message 14: by Ms. Wieder (new)

I'm glad you're getting started on that one. Hopefully it will hook you like the first two!

Emily wrote: "I'm going to start reading Pretty Little Liars : Perfect by Sara Shepard this weekend. I already read the first two books over the summer and never got back to reading the rest of the series, I fin..."

message 15: by Ms. Wieder (new)

I'm interested to hear what kind of "action" this book has!

Kimberly wrote: "1. I am reading someone to love me by Ann Schraff.
2. I chose this book because i read a lot of books by this author and her series.
3. I like it so far. Yes i am enjoying it more than then the pre..."

message 16: by Ms. Wieder (new)

What was the last book you read, that you liked better? It sounds like you either like this one, too, or that you're a fast reader!

Brianna wrote: "I am currently reading Every Breath You Take by Judith McNaught.
I just started this morning and Im on page 33,if I have time I can be on page 100 by the end of next week but if I dont, I'll be ha..."

message 17: by Ms. Wieder (new)

Yes, this is a popular one! I'm eager to hear if you get into it the way that others have.

Guston wrote: "1) this weekend i will start reading the book The Hunger Games by suzane collins.
2)i chose this book from the last goodreads assignment and fedor gave it 5 stars so it looks really interesting. al..."

message 18: by Fedor (new)

Fedor Garmatyuk | 11 comments 1. I am reading the SPACE left BEHIND.
2. I chose this book because it has a pair of keys on the front, and god knows i love keys. Seriously though, it just seemed like a weird jumbled up book that has every single genre mixed together.
3. My reading plan as usual is to finish the book within a week. I will probably read it at home (ON THE CAAANNN!!!) and around night time. Finally, no there are no friends reading this, i just randomly found it in the library.

message 19: by Giovanni (new)

Giovanni Luna | 8 comments I want to start reading Always Running. I found out about this book through some of my friends, and some teachers too. As i have heard, this book is very interesting and it captures you as soon as you start reading it, which is something i have not yet experienced. The fact that many people who don't like to read, or that rarely read say that this book is awesome, brings my attention to this book! I plan to get this book from one of my friends who was previously reading this book. I want to read it everyday for at least 20 min. At school after school, or at home in a quiet place. I'm just so excited to start reading this book!

message 20: by Elis (new)

Elis Aguilar | 7 comments I want to start reading the book Suicide Notes by Michael Thomas Ford. I found out about this book because of Ms. O'Rourke and it looks like one that I would enjoy. I like books that are about people my own age, but at the same time have a more adult writing style, and this appears to be one of them.
I want to read this book as much as I can, because it looks really interesting and I want to get "into" the story. I'm going to try to fit in probably 30 minutes a day or more, depending on how much time I have. Hopefully I'll read it at home, or at a friend's house, or a park. Somewhere quiet. :)

message 21: by Gustavo (new)

Gustavo Altamirano | 10 comments I am right now reading The Deception point by Dan Brown.I am 3/4 done with the book and plan to finish the book soon. I am enjoying the book but it is a little of a change from the last book that I read, but still great book. I enjoy it because of the action that the book has, the thrill of what could happen next, you just want to keep reading and that is what I really like. I do my reading at home, at school in the morning, in the car, all great places that I do my reading, they all work for me. They are working great for me, I have problems in the hall where I read when the talking starts happening.

message 22: by Ms. Wieder (new)

Ah, Fedor. Where to begin?! Soooo much information. One might say too much.

Which genres are mashing up in the book?
Fedor wrote: "1. I am reading the SPACE left BEHIND.
2. I chose this book because it has a pair of keys on the front, and god knows i love keys. Seriously though, it just seemed like a weird jumbled up book that..."

message 23: by Ms. Wieder (new)

I'm excited that you're excited to read this book! And I'm even more excited to hear how you like it.

Giovanni wrote: "I want to start reading Always Running. I found out about this book through some of my friends, and some teachers too. As i have heard, this book is very interesting and it captures you as soon as ..."

message 24: by Ms. Wieder (new)

It's hard to find really good coming-of-age books, so I'm glad this seems to be one of them. Are you hooked yet?

Elis wrote: "I want to start reading the book Suicide Notes by Michael Thomas Ford. I found out about this book because of Ms. O'Rourke and it looks like one that I would enjoy. I like books that are about peop..."

message 25: by Ms. Wieder (new)

I forget-- was the last book another Dan Brown one? How does this one compare with The Da Vinci Code?

Gustavo wrote: "I am right now reading The Deception point by Dan Brown.I am 3/4 done with the book and plan to finish the book soon. I am enjoying the book but it is a little of a change from the last book that I..."

message 26: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Abrams (danielabramsyessiriy) | 7 comments 1 I will be starting to read the whipping boy by Sid Fleischman
2. I read it when I was like 10..or so and I just liked the thought of boys running away from their responsibilities and villains trying to take them hostage for money
3. I'm going to read it on the bus, in class any time I'm not doing anything important I'll read the book, it's only eighty nine so it won't take me long to finish oh and it has a Newbery Medal, so that should back me up if you think its too short to read :D(cheesy grin)

message 27: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 10 comments 1. I am currently reading Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes.
2. I am on page 152 and I want to get up to at least page 200 in one week. Since we started on Akhenaten, I haven’t been reading and I want to catch up in the book so I can start reading a new book.
3. Yes, I enjoy reading my book more than the previous free choice books I have read because I like how the author uses a diary format, which helps me keep track of what is happening in the book. It also helps me understand the character and how he is getting smarter. Reading this novel tells me that I enjoy reading books with a little bit more critical thinking because I can predict what is going to happen, which helps me understands the book better.
4. I do my reading in my room before I go to sleep. I think this is both working and not working for me. It is working for me because my dogs are all asleep at the time the time when I read my book so that they don’t distract me. However, it is somewhat difficult for me to concentrate on my book because I am already tired from finishing my homework.

message 28: by Ms. Wieder (new)

What? I can't picture you making a cheesy grin at all;)

I'm interested to hear your impression of the book this time around, now that you have a different perspective on the world.

Daniel wrote: "1 I will be starting to read the whipping boy by Sid Fleischman
2. I read it when I was like 10..or so and I just liked the thought of boys running away from their responsibilities and villains tr..."

message 29: by Ms. Wieder (new)

This is a classic, and one I've never read, so I love hearing about it from you. I love that you're using your critical thinking/reading skills:)

Nicole wrote: "1. I am currently reading Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes.
2. I am on page 152 and I want to get up to at least page 200 in one week. Since we started on Akhenaten, I haven’t been reading and..."

message 30: by Sammie (new)

Sammie | 10 comments 1. IT by Stephen King
2. I'm about... 50 pages into the book. And as for the homework, i would like to be by page 70 or 80. (I am a very slow reader)
3. Sometimes it can be a little confusing, but overall i enjoy it very much. So far, it isn't exactly my top favorite book. But i know its in the top 10 somewhere.
I'm learning that I take forever to read 500 or longer paged books with small font.
4. During school hours or at home on the couch. The only distractions are either when someone wants to talk with me or when someone wants me to move over.

message 31: by Elisa (new)

Elisa Mendoza | 9 comments 1. I have started the book, Push by Sapphire
2. I just gt the book from the library and im already 25pg from the book, there is not chapters in the book, so i think i would like to read 8-15 pages a day.
3.I'm enjoying my book, its kind of depressing and sad, but its really good.(so far). In books, i prefer lots of drama because it get my excited and want to read more.I'm a good reader but i have to like the book that i'm going to read or it will take me forever just to finish the book.
4.I get a little distracted when in reading so i prefer to read at night or alone. I also like reading on the bus.At home i get distracted if i want to read because of my younger siblings.

message 32: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Wu | 9 comments 1. I am reading Middlesex right now.
2. Right now I'm not too far in the book at all. I'm at page 50 or so. I definitely need to get reading...
3. I am really enjoying the book, at least the parts that I have read. It is intriguing, and the story line is really unique. Truthfully, I'm not sure what this book tells me about me as a reader. It's an interesting book, with humor, romance and mystery.
4. I have been reading in my living room or dining room table, but I definitely think I should change. Sometimes my mom is talking to my dad or cooking dinner and it's a little distracting.

message 33: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Legaspi | 10 comments 1. So I am going to read Heat.
2. I chose this book because someone else read this book on goodreads. It seems interesting to me becaue I love baseball.
3. My reading plan is to read evrynight and to read at least 20 pages a day. I will most likely read in my room at night.

message 34: by Mark (new)

Mark Bely | 10 comments 1. I will start reading Detective Stories this weekend.
2. It has been on my shelf for too long so I decided to read it and I am interested in mysteries.
3. My plan is to rea every day at home for half a hour.

message 35: by Dante (new)

Dante (dantedilallo) | 10 comments I am reading Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. I am on page 586 in one week with homework I want to be at 625 or be finished if possible. I am enjoying this book very much, I think this is a better free choice book, only because it is longer than the Da Vinci Code, and it is more interesting. Um, I think that this tells me that I like longer books, and books that are somewhat fictional. I am reading at my house before I go to sleep, and reading at that time actually helps me sleep better and understand the book better.

message 36: by Ramon (new)

Ramon Gomez | 8 comments I am going to read Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz.I haven't started to read it yet. I didn;t have time this weekend to get it. Im going to get it on Monday. I am going to enjoy this book because i like books like this. Mystery books, or books that have to do with spies and things like that. I will read this at home, on the bus and at school. I am looking forward to read this book.

message 37: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Chue-wong | 10 comments I am going to read Warren Buffett. Choose this book because from an early age i was interested in Finance, this book will help me interpret financial statements. So in the future i can know what people in finance are talking about or it will help me decipher which stocks are best to pick I will probably read this book over breaks or when i go to the learning center for learning skills or after school. I don't think i know anyone who read or is reading this book.

message 38: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Guardado | 7 comments This weekend I will be starting Animal Farm by George Orwell. My sister recommended this book to me and she and I usually like the same books so I decided to read it. I will probably start reading this book every night before I go to sleep or right after school for an hour or so. I don't know anyone else who is reading this book right now.

message 39: by Kate (new)

Kate Shrayber (kateshrayber) | 12 comments 1.I am currently reading the Virgin of Flames.
2.I am on the very last chapter. i hope to finish in class tomorrow!
3.I am enjoying this book. it has more dark adn twisted things in it which shows the types of books I like.
4. I read whenever and wherever I can. I really like this book so usually there are no distractions!

GO PACKERSS!

message 40: by Zane (new)

Zane Buck | 5 comments I am reading Why Dogs eat Poop and other useless/gross information about the animal kingdom. I am currently in the middle of it and would like to finish or be close to finishing it. I am enjoying it so far, there are some pretty funny/weird things in this book. I usually read it in my room or in the living room. My neighbors behind me and/or next door neighbors having loud party's is usually pretty annoying.

message 41: by Connie (new)

Connie | 10 comments 1) I am currently reading Gamer Girl By: Mari Manucsi.
2) I'm on page 75 right now and I want to be able to get up to page 102.
3) I am enjoying the book and I enjoy it a little less or the same as the other books I chose to read. I like books that are mystery/drama/weird
4) Most of the time, you can find me reading in my room. Sometimes I read whenever I'm bored and just before I go to sleep.

message 42: by Venita (new)

Venita Tam (VenitaTam) | 6 comments 1) I am starting to read the book Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. By J.R.R. Tolkien.
2)I chose this book because I read the first one and I wanted to continue reading the series.
3)My reading plan is just to read the book whenever I have time. I think I will mostly read my book in bed at night.

message 43: by Ms. Wieder (new)

So are you into it and it's just slow-going, or are you not really hooked?

Sammie wrote: "1. IT by Stephen King
2. I'm about... 50 pages into the book. And as for the homework, i would like to be by page 70 or 80. (I am a very slow reader)
3. Sometimes it can be a little confusing, but..."

message 44: by Ms. Wieder (new)

This book made me cry so hard that I haven't gotten up the nerve to see the movie. Did you see the movie yet?

Elisa wrote: "1. I have started the book, Push by Sapphire
2. I just gt the book from the library and im already 25pg from the book, there is not chapters in the book, so i think i would like to read 8-15 pages ..."

message 45: by Ms. Wieder (new)

I'm glad you're looking forward to it. What's the mystery element? The title is intriguing....
Ramon wrote: "I am going to read Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz.I haven't started to read it yet. I didn;t have time this weekend to get it. Im going to get it on Monday. I am going to enjoy this book because ..."

message 46: by Ms. Wieder (new)

Have you started the book since you last posted about it? What's your reading goal for this week?

Thomas wrote: "I am going to read Warren Buffett. Choose this book because from an early age i was interested in Finance, this book will help me interpret financial statements. So in the future i can know what pe..."

message 47: by Ms. Wieder (new)

Oooh, this is a good one, and can be understood on many levels. I wish someone else were reading it so you could talk about it with them. Maybe you can convince someone in our class....

Danielle wrote: "This weekend I will be starting Animal Farm by George Orwell. My sister recommended this book to me and she and I usually like the same books so I decided to read it. I will probably start reading ..."

message 48: by Ms. Wieder (new)

You're going to be able to teach us so much after you finish this book. Why DO dogs eat poop, Zane???

Zane wrote: "I am reading Why Dogs eat Poop and other useless/gross information about the animal kingdom. I am currently in the middle of it and would like to finish or be close to finishing it. I am enjoying i..."

message 49: by Ms. Wieder (new)

I'm glad you're into it, Connie, though maybe less than other books? Do you know a lot about gaming that makes it interesting?

Connie wrote: "1) I am currently reading Gamer Girl By: Mari Manucsi.
2) I'm on page 75 right now and I want to be able to get up to page 102.
3) I am enjoying the book and I enjoy it a little less or the sam..."

message 50: by Ms. Wieder (new)

Yay, a book that makes you want to read it! I'm interested in checking it out in class tomorrow. It's been on my shelf for a long time and I've never tried reading it.

Kate wrote: "1.I am currently reading the Virgin of Flames.
2.I am on the very last chapter. i hope to finish in class tomorrow!
3.I am enjoying this book. it has more dark adn twisted things in it which shows ..."

« previous 1