CCC Reads discussion

Books turned into movies

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 2 comments Mod
What books do you think that Hollywood ruined by turning into movies? What books do you think made great movies? I think that your opinions will be very interesting.

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan | 2 comments The shining by Stephen King was a truly scary book and IMHO a wretched movie! East of Eden was both a great book and movie.

message 3: by Jessie (new)

Jessie I almost always think that the book is better than the movie. One exception is The Boy in Striped Pajamas. The book is written by John Boyne, and the movie captured the story and emotion well. They didn't change the ending, which they sometimes do in the movie version.

message 4: by Katie (new)

Katie | 3 comments I think that Hollywood ruined "My Sister's Keeper" by completely changing the ending. The book was heart wrenching as most of Jodi Picoult's books are. I understand that sometimes they have to do that, but it just wasn't what I was expecting. I want to see "The Lovely Bones" to see how that movie was made, but I just can't bring myself to watch it now.
When I was in middle school I loved the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, and I was pretty impressed with how Hollywood brought Tolkin's imagination to life (not on everything, but overall, good movies, and excellent reads).
Fun Topic!

message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie | 3 comments I agree with Jessie, I also enjoy books more so than movies. I haven't watched or read "Boy in the Striped Pajamas", but I think that one is going on my list.

message 6: by Kara (new)

Kara | 4 comments I love Stephen King and think that most of his movies are very well done, I loved The Shining, Stand by Me, Misery, The Green Mile, and the Shawshank Redemption. But still agree that the books are definitely better. Eat, Pray, Love the book was so much better than the movie!

message 7: by Amanda Wade (new)

Amanda Wade | 1 comments There are too many that weren't up to par. "Eat, Pray Love" is a perfect example along with the Millinium series by Stieg Larsson (although they weren't done by hollywood). Katie mentioned "Lord of the Rings"; this is the only instance where I liked the movies more than the books. Anyone I've ever met, that has read the books, is in love with the books, but that first book was horrendously boring with half of it as landscape descriptions. The movies were so well done too--despite some of the plot missing.

message 8: by Jessie (new)

Jessie Two great books that will have movies coming out this summer "Water for Elephants" and "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan". I can't wait, hope that they both live up to the book.

message 9: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Miller | 4 comments The book and movie, Water for Elephants was so good, enjoyed both.