Amazon Kindle discussion

Locations/Book Size?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Neil (new)

Neil (nilling) | 24 comments I use to decide what paperback book to read next based on it's size and how much freetime I think I would have. On the Kindle how can I judge a books size? Use Locations? But what's a big book? I think I understand why Locations are used rather than page numbers.

What are all those dots and dashes on the Kindle's progress bar?

message 2: by stormhawk (last edited Feb 03, 2011 09:44AM) (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments What the dots are depend on which Kindle you have. On the K1 each dot (on the progress bar, NOT under the book on the home screen) represents 2% of the book. Since the K1 doesn't give you percentage read you can figure it out by counting dark dots and multiplying by 2. On the home page, more dots means more locations. Each dot represents about 150 locations, which translates to about 15 pages rounding up to the nearest 5 (it was 13 and some decimal, but you're looking for a rough estimate), if my math is right.

I am not sure if there is an official statement from amazon on this, I just did some quick math on one book. (make that two, it's consistent.

While reading, the progress bar is solid. If you see open squares on it, that's a bookmark. There are also chapter markings that some publishers include. If you have those you can use the cursor thingy to jump a chapter ahead or chapter behind per click.

message 3: by Tish (new)

Tish (paradiseisalibrary) | 30 comments Personally I just look at the print length before I buy it. That way I know how long the book is.

Irene Well Worth A Read I haven't seen any dots or dashes. You can tell the size by looking at the file size or by looking at how many pages the print version has.

message 5: by Colette (new)

Colette Guerin (coletteguerin) | 5 comments I have a need to know the length of a book too. Like Tish I just check out the print length before purchase. I am impressed with Stormhawk's mathematical skills.

message 6: by Neil (new)

Neil (nilling) | 24 comments I was thinking of picking my next book when you just have your Kindle and cannot access Amazon to check the number of pages.

I've just had another look at the Kindle homescreen and noticed the book I'm currently reading is nearly 3 times the length as my previous read! Yikes ;)

message 7: by Weenie (new)

Weenie | 55 comments Slightly off topic but kinda linked - my K3 shows locations but is there any way to change the settings of the Kindle so it shows 'pages', or are the locations there instead of pages?

message 8: by Neil (new)

Neil (nilling) | 24 comments @Weenie

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-18438_7-...

The picture here shows a 'clear' progress bar whereas mine if full of dots/dashes hmmm...

message 9: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments Weenie wrote: "Slightly off topic but kinda linked - my K3 shows locations but is there any way to change the settings of the Kindle so it shows 'pages', or are the locations there instead of pages?"

The Kindle will not show pages, unless you are reading a PDF (which isn't really easy unless you have the DX, at least I don't find it so good on the K3). The idea behind locations is that locations are static (don't change) where pages varies based on the text size.

Nell, which Kindle do you have? The K3 has a solid progress bar, I don't know about the K2, but the K1 has dots that get "bolded" as you move past that reading location. On the K3 there are little open square boxes that show bookmarks. I have also noticed a little triangle that points down at where you started reading that session.

message 10: by Neil (new)

Neil (nilling) | 24 comments @stormhawk I have a K3. The progress bar is solid and the foremost point is marked by a solid triangle. However, it's the unread portion of the bar that has the dots and dashes so they are not my bookmarks. Could they be other peoples bookmarks/notes?

message 11: by Connie (new)

Connie Faull | 80 comments Neil wrote: "I was thinking of picking my next book when you just have your Kindle and cannot access Amazon to check the number of pages.

I've just had another look at the Kindle homescreen and noticed the boo..."

Neil - I go to the home page which lists my books and I compare how many dots are under the book titles to one another. I usually have one or 2 books I know how many pages they are so I can then guage the books that I don't by comparing the length in the dotted line under the book titles. It's not a science but that dotted line give you an idea of how long the book is.

Hope that helps.

message 12: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (charlotte-) | 32 comments Neil wrote: "@Weenie

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-18438_7-...

The picture here shows a 'clear' progress bar whereas mine if full of dots/dashes hmmm..."

The progress bar is clear to start with. The dots (which appear to be squares) seem to be bookmarks. Books that other members of my household are reading, whose kindles are on the same account, show many of these so obviously it includes all linked devices.
% plus locations works for me. You learn to recognize how many locations an "ordinary" length book has, although I am not sure there is a direct correlation between number of pages and number of locations as some books appear to have more locations per kindle page for me than others, with the font staying unchanged. May depend on the paragraph formatting - some have no extra line between paragraphs, some do.

message 13: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (andrewd2) Neil wrote: "@stormhawk I have a K3. The progress bar is solid and the foremost point is marked by a solid triangle. However, it's the unread portion of the bar that has the dots and dashes so they are not my b..."

The dots and dashes in the unread portion are a sign that the book was properly bookmarked by the author and each of those dots should be the beginning of a new chapter or subsection.

message 14: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (charlotte-) | 32 comments Andrew wrote: "Neil wrote: "@stormhawk I have a K3. The progress bar is solid and the foremost point is marked by a solid triangle. However, it's the unread portion of the bar that has the dots and dashes so they..."

Checked my books again, and sure enough, the ones I have not read do vary - some have dots, some don't. Can't see that they are very helpful as the resolution does not allow you to judge how far to the next chapter break, unless they are very long chapters. But they do get us chattering!

message 15: by Danielle (new)

Danielle  (ereader1) Andrew is right, those dots on the progress bar depend on whether the publisher formatted in chapter coding.
Find a book with them then do a 5way click right and left, it skips chapter to chapter in line with those dots. You can then compare how many pages/ locations to the next one, as well as seeing it visually with the greying bar.
To get back to your reading back, click the BACK button itself (not the 5 way left /right)

message 16: by Gail (new)

Gail Baugniet | 30 comments It will also be more difficult to judge the size of a book by the number of printed pages because of the use of different font sizes and lines per page in the printed copy.

As an example, if a book is printed in smaller than average font with 281 pages and 39 lines per page, it will have more pages on Kindle with the regular typeface than a book with larger than average font having 354 numbered pages and 33 lines per page.

message 17: by Summer (new)

Summer (paradisecity) I've found that the most reliable way to estimate a book's size, particularly when there's no print edition, is to sample the book. A sample is typically 10% of the books total length, so estimating the full size is easy. And it tends to be more reliable than file size, as graphics and formatting can artificially increase file size.

message 18: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 29 comments My daughter has the K3 of our shared account and mine is a K2 so I don't have personal knowledge but the K3 now can show you the pages read based on a software update.

message 19: by Helen (new)

Helen Pages are supposed to be enabled on my kindle however, so far I haven't had a book that actually has pages on it!

message 20: by Ann (last edited Apr 16, 2011 05:24PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 29 comments Helen:
I have wondered if the pages only show on books you have added after the software change. I am ok with the locations and percentages for my K2 experience, but when reading a book along with someone else, knowing the actual page would be helpful.
Helen wrote: "Pages are supposed to be enabled on my kindle however, so far I haven't had a book that actually has pages on it!"

message 21: by Ralph Gallagher (new)

Ralph Gallagher | 327 comments Mod
Only certain books have page numbers. Only books that have print editions are eligible for page numbers, and not all authors/publishers have attached page numbers to their books.

And I believe only the K3 and the DX have this option, but I'm not positive.

message 22: by Helen (new)

Helen mine can't be attached then as one of the books on my kindle I actually rebought having already got it in pprback. The option for pages is under go to but mine remains grey. Perhaps it will change.

message 23: by Ann (last edited Apr 17, 2011 09:20AM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 29 comments from Amazon Help: *how to tell if your Kindle title will display page numbers when on a K3 and after clicking the menu button while reading ---
Not all Kindle books include page numbers. Kindle books that include page numbers will list "Page Numbers Source ISBN (the print book identification number)" for the matching print edition under "Product Details" on the detail page at Amazon.com. If the Page Numbers Source ISBN (the print book identification number)" listed under "Product Details" on the product detail page is the same edition as your print book, the Kindle page numbers will match the page numbers in the printed edition.

Real Page Numbers -- Our customers have told us they want real page numbers that match the page numbers in print books so they can easily reference and cite passages, and read alongside others in a book club or class. We've already added real page numbers to tens of thousands of Kindle books, including the top 100 bestselling books in the Kindle Store that have matching print editions and thousands more of the most popular books. Page numbers will also be available on our free "Buy Once, Read Everywhere" Kindle apps in the coming months. As with all of Kindle's features, we want you to lose yourself in the author's words, so page numbers are only displayed when you press the Menu button.