Kids/Teens Book Club discussion

News & Current Affairs > Did YOU get hit by the monster storm across the U.S.?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 117 (117 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Amelia, free market Puritan (aeimaginer12) I did! We got tons of snow, and day 2 it's still on the ground! School's been canceled for 2 days now and it's fantastic :D

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments This is my seventh snow day of the year, second in a row. I think my last midterm has officially been cancelled because of it. (It was pushed from Thursday to Tuesday to Wednesday, and now Wednesday is a snow day and Thursday will be my first day of the second semester)

message 3: by Frank (new)

Frank Good: I got off of school today. It's pretty nice

Bad: I spent the last two hours getting rid of snow on my drive-way. 2 feet!!!

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Yikes.

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments That's awful. I'm glad that for once I still have power. Usually we're the first to lose it. We were out for four days once last year; it wasn't fun.

message 6: by Frank (new)

Frank We had a small surge last night, but luckily didn't lose power for a long period of time.

message 7: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 4295 comments Mod
Oh goodness. A storm in the US of A too?
Last night Queensland got hit with a major freak cyclone.
Yep, one week after those giant floods that caused so much pain and damage, a level five cyclone goes through the top half of Queensland O.o

Storms everywhere by the look of things.

♫♫☺Allie☺♫♫ (alliwicious) | 1115 comments Yeah we got hit here too. It's been in the negatives for days. They closed schools because it was too cold. We barely even got an inch.

message 9: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments We in my part of West Virginia didn't get hit TOO badly, but we did end up with a couple days off and several two-hour delays because of the weather.

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Wow. Where are you?

♫♫☺Allie☺♫♫ (alliwicious) | 1115 comments Me? Well I'm in Colorado.

message 12: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments I'm by the Ohio River. (not saying more specific for safety on the internet purposes) lolz

message 13: by Frank (new)

Frank The school just called. No school tomorrow either! It has been 2-3 years since our last snow-day. Now we get two in a row. I am a happy camper.

message 14: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments Here we are complaining about the wind in AZ (and trust me, it's been ridiculous), but we have practically nothing in comparison. The super cold wind is the worst of it.

message 15: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Wow, that's awful Frank. Where are you?

Yeah, Allie I meant you before. Rae hadn't posted when I opened the page.

To amend my earlier statement, my Global Studies teacher just e-mailed to say that our midterm has been cancelled. I wish I had known that on Monday. I'm not sure whether or not I should be happy, though.

message 16: by Diana (last edited Feb 02, 2011 02:46PM) (new)

Diana Here where I live the streets were covered in ice and snow and the wind was horrible. Today is the third day school has been canceled.

message 17: by Pandy (last edited Feb 02, 2011 02:52PM) (new)

Pandy | 185 comments I live in AZ too, Taylor, and I've been complaining about being freezing the whole day. Freezing for me is anything below 60°F. :)

message 18: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments I'm not even going to comment.

message 19: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments Pandy wrote: "I live in AZ too, Taylor, and I've been complaining about being freezing the whole day. Freezing for me is anything below 60°F. :)"

Oh, all of us were! My favorite teacher (who lived in Chicago for 10 years, she said) showed up in a snow jacket today. ;)

message 20: by Frank (new)

Frank I live in the Chicago area (not the city). I must say...TOO COLD!

message 21: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 210 comments I live in western Canada so we haven't been getting the tons of snow you guys have but it's been going down to minus 30 (celsius)

Amelia, free market Puritan (aeimaginer12) Amber wrote: "I did! Snow and ice, ice baby. :P

No school yesterday, or today. But we're having black outs-they can't supply enough power because it's so cold and everyone's using it at the same time, so they..."

That's happening to us! Our power hasn't gone out yet, but we're like, inevitably waiting for it. :P

message 23: by Ishita (new)

Ishita (ishifishysquishy) nope here in Socal we are having perfect weather sunny and a light breeze with clear skies...some clouds of course just have to wear a light jacket..i feel cold but some girls are still wearing shorts and tanks

message 24: by Z. (new)

Z. (mizzfictionista) Hooray for winters full of sunshine in SoCal! :D

I wouldn't be able to stand living in frigid temperatures with excess snow. Stay warm, guys!

message 25: by Ishita (new)

Ishita (ishifishysquishy) Zareen wrote: "Hooray for winters full of sunshine in SoCal! :D

I wouldn't be able to stand living in frigid temperatures with excess snow. Stay warm, guys!"

yup we would die wouldn't we....
drink lost of Hot COCO! Good Luck

message 26: by Frank (new)

Frank Good idea. I am seriously going to go make some hot coco right now.

Amelia, free market Puritan (aeimaginer12) I'm on my third cup of coffee.
In the last hour.
:D

message 28: by Ishita (new)

Ishita (ishifishysquishy) Amelia (Imagination in Focus) wrote: "I'm on my third cup of coffee.
In the last hour.
:D"

hahah nice you noe what you should try....take some tea with honey instead of sugar it should warm you up and drink it slowly...and while the water boils grate some ginger it seriously opens the senses yet keeps you warm

message 29: by Ishita (new)

Ishita (ishifishysquishy) me 2 !!!!! where are you on the coast?

Amelia, free market Puritan (aeimaginer12) Ugghh our MAIL stopped yesterday, and I'm pretty sure it will today. That's how you know things are bad: when the interstates are so bad, even the truckers and the mail-delivery people can't get where they need to go. I saw on the Weather Channel that UPS shut down yesterday.
Hope anyone in the Midwest isn't expecting packages!

message 31: by Frank (new)

Frank There is almost two feet by me and we got two days off. I get to go to school tomorrow, but then there is a weekend. I love this week.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I got it. But living loser to the equator than some of you it wasn't bad. We got some wind and rain and that was about it. :(

message 33: by Ishita (new)

Ishita (ishifishysquishy) Brenna wrote: "I got it. But living loser to the equator than some of you it wasn't bad. We got some wind and rain and that was about it. :("

yup same same...i kinda wished it snowed just for the heck of it

message 34: by Frank (new)

Frank Well, I have to walk my dog in -7°F (with wind-chill). I am definitely making more hot chocolate when I get back.

message 35: by Z. (new)

Z. (mizzfictionista) I would want snow just for the sake of no school, but the thought of having to make up the days during summer is horrible.

message 36: by Kendall Anne (new)

Kendall Anne (dance4life) | 785 comments There is sooo much snow!! Everything has been canceled!

message 37: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 4295 comments Mod
wow...its pretty hot here in Australia.
We're barely even hearing news of the storm over there...

message 38: by Kendall Anne (new)

Kendall Anne (dance4life) | 785 comments lucky!!

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

we didn't get hit by the storm straight on (Im Canadian), but i think we got some of it but we did get a lot of snow... two feet. I live in a valley, so that's a lot for here in a year. My cousin in northern Alberta has five feet and -40, Celcius that is.... in Farenhiet that would be like, -10. Here in the valley its like, -20 C.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Just so you guys know. If you get snow days off of school you are SOOOO lucky! I'm homeschooled and my mom is like an army general when it comes to school. (which means no snow days) ;(

message 41: by Frank (new)

Frank The area I live in is expecting snow all weekend into Monday. Hopefully it adds to the large amount already and we get another snow day. I can only hope, but our school is really strict when it comes to snow days.

message 42: by Rose (new)

Rose (rose_b) | 330 comments I got two snowdays.

message 43: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Brenna wrote: "Just so you guys know. If you get snow days off of school you are SOOOO lucky! I'm homeschooled and my mom is like an army general when it comes to school. (which means no snow days) ;("

Yeah, but it also means you don't have to make up the snowdays. We only have five before we lose vacation days and guess what? It's only the beginning of February and we have seven. That means the Friday before Memorial Day has just disappeared and two half days have turned into full days. Pretty soon they'll start taking off of February break. Then they'll go to April, and if they have to, they'll take off some of the summer too.

Amelia, free market Puritan (aeimaginer12) Now it's starting to melt, and you know what's funny? I'm kinda sad to see it all go. Because school's gonna start back up on Monday, and we're all gonna have to go again. It was so nice to have a few days to bum around the house, even if it was like 7 degrees outside :D

message 45: by natalie (new)

natalie | 5047 comments I wish. I live in SOCAL. I hate it. I want to move to either Illinois or Colorado. Well, I want to go to school in IL and live in Colorado.

message 46: by natalie (new)

natalie | 5047 comments Speaking of the Superbowl, I can't wait until the Glee episode tomorrow!
Okay well, yeah. I want to live somewhere wwith seasons. Hot sun, snow-y winter. I just live in Hot, warm, hot, warm, hot, cool, warm, hot, hot, warm, cool, hot.

message 47: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments I know what you mean. I live in New York, so I have all four seasons, and I would absolutely HATE it if I didn't. I would get so tired of it, and even the good whether wouldn't be so good if it was all I had.

♫♫☺Allie☺♫♫ (alliwicious) | 1115 comments I live in a place with all four seasons too. Sometimes they're a little long though. Like winter and summer are the ones that last the longest.

message 49: by Z. (new)

Z. (mizzfictionista) Natalie wrote: "I wish. I live in SOCAL. I hate it. I want to move to either Illinois or Colorado. Well, I want to go to school in IL and live in Colorado."

But SoCal has the beach, and Hollywood, and Disneyland, and the Lakers! :D I <3 LA

message 50: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments ♫♫☺Allie☺♫♫ wrote: "I live in a place with all four seasons too. Sometimes they're a little long though. Like winter and summer are the ones that last the longest."

I think ours are all pretty much the same, but I would say that winter and summer are slightly longer than fall and spring, although I like fall and spring better. Not too hot, not too cold.

« previous 1 3