The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Music, Movies, & Miscellany > August Movie Night: "Gosford Park"

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Aug 09, 2008 05:27PM) (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
Anyone familiar with "Gosford Park"...let's watch and discuss here!

"Gosford Park is a 2001 film directed by Robert Altman. The screenplay is by Julian Fellowes, based on an idea by Altman and producer Bob Balaban. It features an ensemble cast including Sir Michael Gambon, Dame Maggie Smith, Kristin Scott Thomas, Jeremy Northam, Bob Balaban, Ryan Phillippe, Stephen Fry, Kelly Macdonald, Clive Owen, Helen Mirren, Eileen Atkins, Emily Watson, Camilla Rutherford, Tom Hollander, Alan Bates, Derek Jacobi, and Richard E. Grant."

message 2: by Angie (new)

Angie | 512 comments I will be picking up my copy Monday.. can't wait to check it out.

message 3: by Joey (new)

Joey (joeymporter) | 26 comments I watched it a few years ago. A professor in one of my english lit classes recommended it.

message 4: by M0rfeus (new)

M0rfeus It's great!!!!
;)
T

message 5: by Angie (new)

Angie | 512 comments I enjoyed the movie though at the beginning I was confused! I love the costumes, and the house. I also thought it was interesting how much the upper class depended on the servants.

message 6: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

I own this one and will be watching it soon. I'm a bit backed up right now with school starting and everything.

Angie--I'm glad you liked it. What do you think about the comments comparing it to an Agatha Christie story?

message 7: by Angie (new)

Angie | 512 comments Honestly I have never read an Agatha Christie story (SAD!). So I don't know! Spoilers: I do wish the murder would've happened a little sooner in the movie instead of towards the end. I did start to guess at the end what was going on... but I am still confused whose kid did the murder. I thought that Helen Mirren's said he was her sister's kid. But then at the end she was crying and that lady said at least your son is alive. So was Clive Owen actually her son and not her sisters?

message 8: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

I'll have to get back to you on that one.

message 9: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

whichwaydidshego | 1996 comments Mod
Okay, I adore this movie and have seen it many times. So glad you all will be viewing it. Plus, Clive Owen - YUMMMMM. Even better (in my book), Clive Owen with a Scottish accent!!! Hee!

I really like the actress that plays the Scottish lady's maid named Mary Something-hard-to-pronounce - Kelly Macdonald. She's quite sweet. She was wonderful as Evangeline in Nanny McPhee, but even more I thought she was amazing in the HBO film The Girl in the Cafe. Fabulous.

SPOILER

Yes, Clive was Helen's son.

message 10: by Angie (new)

Angie | 512 comments OK great! I thought that is what was going on but wanted to make sure!