Gabriel's Inferno (Gabriel's Inferno, #1) Gabriel's Inferno discussion

How do you think this will differ from UoEM?

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zoe (new)

Zoe Well, as we all know SR is smart enough to protect himself , so I am convinced that he will surprise as all.
He is brilliant author , he writes like no one else.

message 2: by Flippinsweet (new)

Flippinsweet Certainly the small town from which they both came and had their first encounter will be changed...

message 3: by Flippinsweet (new)

Flippinsweet My guess is he'll keep at least the Toronto stuff. SR lives and works in Toronto, and the story is so full of Toronto references and locales that it is almost another character in the story.

I think he'll probably keep the Boston stuff too, because...why change it?

Sonya Do you know if this is going to be availible as an ebook?? preferably Kobo, or Kindle?? I know it was released today but it hasn't showed up yet on either ereaders!!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

As talented of a writer as he is, I know he'll change it enough to protect himself, but will keep the essence of the story.

I'm so excited to get my hands on a copy of this book. So far I can't find it though!

Tigris Eden So I just read Gabriel's Inferno Last weekend and I have to say that I did not see twilight at all in nor did I think the character's resembled Bella Swan or Edward Cullen... So totally confused? Was there an earlier version of the story?

Tigris Eden Thanks for that I had no idea.... Well I loved the story just the same :D

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow, I'm very surprised! I had no idea that this was originally Twilight fanfiction. I'm a huge fan of the Twilight saga and where I've read it several times I'm very familiar with the story/words/characters/relationships what have you and to be honest I didn't think about Twilight not even once during this book. Not even a little bit.

I found Gabriel's Inferno incredibly touching.

Lola Ren Just finished gabriels last night and the idea that this book resembles twilight never crosses my mind. However... the thought that this book resembles fifty shades of grey series did occured frequently... Hence the similarity of innocence, virgin, lip bitting heroine up to its song selection...

Melissa Lola Ren wrote: "Just finished gabriels last night and the idea that this book resembles twilight never crosses my mind. However... the thought that this book resembles fifty shades of grey series did occured frequ..."

I had the same thoughts I wondered which one was published first. I thought the relationship was very simalar.

Maria Zito why do you guys compare this book to twilight? 2 totally differant books.

Paris        (kerbytejas) Colleen wrote: "Tigris wrote: "So I just read Gabriel's Inferno Last weekend and I have to say that I did not see twilight at all in nor did I think the character's resembled Bella Swan or Edward Cullen... So tota..."

I just finished reading it also and see no connection what so ever.
Why is it that when a writer does a good job these days it gets a reputation as a Twilight
knock-off/fan fiction? Especially if it has a brooding, destructive male lead and a naive, innocent, frail female lead (is this the main ingredient for a Twilight recipe?)

Did SR state that this is what/how Gabriel s Inferno started

I think SR did a great job and Gabriel's Inferno is better then Twilight could ever be, and i look forward to the next book as well, knowing it too will most likely be great.

There more to life then Twilight....(the books that is)

Paris        (kerbytejas) Lola Ren wrote: "Just finished gabriels last night and the idea that this book resembles twilight never crosses my mind. However... the thought that this book resembles fifty shades of grey series did occured frequ..."

I could see that also, but again that book is also consider Twilight Fan fiction....
Seems like folks have a thing for the Twilight Saga

Melissa Paris wrote: "Lola Ren wrote: "Just finished gabriels last night and the idea that this book resembles twilight never crosses my mind. However... the thought that this book resembles fifty shades of grey series ..."

Rolling MY Eyes I know it seems like every book I have read recently has been a twilight fan fiction. Although I see little comparision with this book and certainly more adult.

DiAnn Though I am a devoted Twilight fan, I didn't feel any similarity of Gabriel & Julia to Edward & Bella.

message 16: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa I was wondering for who read Both UoEM and then GI, is the timeline any diferent? Does GI explore more of Gabriel's past than UoEM did?

Karen I've read both. I was a hugh fan of UoEM. The timeline seemed the same to me. Just names and a few places have been chanced. I feel the Changes were very well done.

Elizabeth I read this, and saw NO similarities that would even make me think Twilight. Twilight is a children's book. This is for grown ups. Just sayin'.

Karen Elizabeth wrote: "I read this, and saw NO similarities that would even make me think Twilight. Twilight is a children's book. This is for grown ups. Just sayin'."

I agree when it was written it was written for the adult audiance not the teen. May adults write fan fic and turn it into erotic tales for adults. I've been known to write them also.

Kristin (KC) I am also a little confused about this whole "fan-fiction" thing. I finally found out what it means, but I don't see connection between Twilight and Gabriel's Inferno, either. Someone said SR changed it before it was published? Was the fan-fic version more like twilight and the author changed some of the story to make it unique before publishing... Or did he just change names? Has anyone read his original?

Karen Kris wrote: "I am also a little confused about this whole "fan-fiction" thing. I finally found out what it means, but I don't see connection between Twilight and Gabriel's Inferno, either. Someone said SR chang..."

When we write fan fic the only thing we are using are the characters names. If you want to check out some Fan Fic to see what we are talking about just go to fanfiction.net where you can see thousands of different books, movies, tv shows that people borrow the characters from. Twilight is far the biggest. SR has taken down his story University of Edward Mason as it was called. Many fan fic stories seem to be rewritten and published.

message 22: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Rachiele I am trying to get through Gabriel's Inferno... I don't see the draw... What am I missing?

ON the other hand it does remind me of Fifty Shades...
Can anyone recommend any other books like Fifty Shades? I did look at the Support group list. I've read a lot of them.
Thanks!

Karen Amy wrote: "I am trying to get through Gabriel's Inferno... I don't see the draw... What am I missing?

Can anyone recommend any other books like Fifty Sh..."

The Saving Anna series the first book is out Slave and second book just got done with final edit and will be out soon. This is also from a Fan Fic story, but lots a changes and it was pulled before it was finished.

Kristin (KC) Did u find "Slave" to be a good book? I have been considering it bc it had some good reviews. I liked christian's and gabriel's tenderness and how it contrasted to their darkness...does the male character have their qualities?

message 25: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Rachiele What's the author, I couldn't find it?

Kristin (KC) Amy wrote: "What's the author, I couldn't find it?"

Sherri Hayes

Elizabeth Amy wrote: "I am trying to get through Gabriel's Inferno... I don't see the draw... What am I missing?

Can anyone recommend any other books like Fifty Sh..."

Try Bared to You by Sylvia Day. Intense.

message 28: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Rachiele Ooooo. I like intense!

message 29: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Karen wrote: "I've read both. I was a hugh fan of UoEM. The timeline seemed the same to me. Just names and a few places have been chanced. I feel the Changes were very well done."

Thanks Karen!

Emily Paris wrote: "Colleen wrote: "Tigris wrote: "So I just read Gabriel's Inferno Last weekend and I have to say that I did not see twilight at all in nor did I think the character's resembled Bella Swan or Edward C..."

I'm pretty sure its the frail female virgin thing. I didn't think there was anything remotely the same. I didn't know Bella was a college student in love with Edward the professor I must have missed that somewhere in the Twilight Series.

Elizabeth @ Emily, I agree. but I think its closer to FSOG than Twilight, though FSOG is a Twilight fanfic. I think GI is a great book and did not see the Twilight similarities either. I think that Bella and Julie are very different, though Ana and Bella are very similar.

Emily I agree with that. The characters are similar but the stories are different aside from him rich/her poor. I really think its unfair to the authors to constantly compare everything they write to someone else's work.

Elizabeth What she said.

Karen Elizabeth wrote: "What she said."

When people write fan fic they make up their own stories just using the names of the charactors. More fan fic's have nothing to do with twilight than our own twisted minds. You can find the twilight related fan fics also, but I for one tend to stay away from them. As I said early I was a huge fan of The University of Edward Mason which is what this story was titled on FanFiction.net. I always thought it would fly as a regular story and even said so in a few of my comments. When we write our fan fic's in our summaries of our stories we place identifers such as AH(all human) AU(Alternate Unerverise) OC(out of charactor) and a few others so the people checking out the stories understand we are only borrowing the names and sometimes the places mentioned in Twilight.

Elizabeth i tried to find the UofEm but couldn't. I just recently found out what fanfic is bc everyone was talking about it. I wanted to see what it was all about. I explain it to myself saying it is like a tribute band, similar and sometimes downright plagiarism, but still interesting in its own right. I would be flattered if I were a writer. I am learning as I go, lol.

Karen UofEn was taken down when the story got picked up for publication. When writing FanFic most of us give the author the credit for there story line as well as for the charactors, which we still. Fanfic has been written for many years. Go to Fanfiction.net and you can see a huge list of books, movies, tv shows witch people write about. There are even some cartoons which people adapt.

Hugs

Lauren (aplpeach) Tigris wrote: "So I just read Gabriel's Inferno Last weekend and I have to say that I did not see twilight at all in nor did I think the character's resembled Bella Swan or Edward Cullen... So totally confused? W..."

I completely agree with you. I have no idea where this is coming from.

Janae Paris (kerbytejas) wrote: "Colleen wrote: "Tigris wrote: "So I just read Gabriel's Inferno Last weekend and I have to say that I did not see twilight at all in nor did I think the character's resembled Bella Swan or Edward C..."

Agreed

Stephanie Switzer I just finished reading the book as well and fail to see any connection between twilight, although it is very similar to 50 Shades.

message 40: by Terry (last edited Oct 28, 2012 09:48AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Terry I admit my bias, since I love the series and think SR is a gifted writer, but I can't see the similarity between 50 Shades and the GI/GR series. I think it's great that EL James took a genre into the mainstream, but these books -- not to mention the writing skills- can be compared. 50 Shades is a fun read. SR's books wind themselves around your heart and live there. That's quite a difference,IMHO.

message 41: by Margarita (last edited Oct 28, 2012 01:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Margarita Terry wrote: "I admit my bias, since I love the series and think SR is a gifted writer, but I can't see the similarity between 50 Shades and the GI/GR series. I think it's great that EL James took a genre into t..."

I agree with you completely Terry...The books are very sensual and beautiful...I love the series!!! And I loved UoEM as well...

Elyse Terry wrote: "I admit my bias, since I love the series and think SR is a gifted writer, but I can't see the similarity between 50 Shades and the GI/GR series. I think it's great that EL James took a genre into t..."

I don't see the similarities at all between this series either. Like you said SR's books hit your heart!!

Rebecca Lola Ren wrote: "Just finished gabriels last night and the idea that this book resembles twilight never crosses my mind. However... the thought that this book resembles fifty shades of grey series did occured frequ..."
not sure if this question ever got answered for you but both "Fifty" and "Inferno" were originally alternate universe/ all-human twilight fanfics. they were running at the same time and both authors announced about the same time of impending publication. As far as not feeling like Twilight, I think the AU/AH theme of the fanfic explains most of it and outside of names and looks nothing really needed to be changed with either of them.

Rebecca Vanessa wrote: "I was wondering for who read Both UoEM and then GI, is the timeline any diferent? Does GI explore more of Gabriel's past than UoEM did?"

I read them both and the timeline is the same. For more of Gabe's past you will need to read the other books. But not very in depth so don't be disappointed. You know the major you need to. Some things in "Rapture" are a little different but not much.

Chelsey Huh. This is the first time I've heard about Gabriel's Inferno originally being Twilight fan fiction.
I suppose I can see some similarities now that I think about it, but for the most part, I feel that this story stands well on it's own.
I wouldn't have made that connection without reading this post.
That being said, I don't think there are any areas of the book that need to be rewritten or whatever to avoid any kind of law suit.

BTW - loved this and FSOG series WAY better than Twilight.

message 46: by Tanya (last edited Jul 25, 2013 07:30PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tanya I think SR did a wonderful job turning UoEM into Gabriels Inferno. As a Twilight FF reader and writer I couldn't see any similarities to twilight. Most FF writers take the characters and make them their own and SR succeeded here. EL James on the other hand did not. 89% of MoTU and FSOG matched word for word. Anastaisa's best friend Jose? Their dads were fishing buddies? WTF? And thats just the tip of the iceberg. A lot of talented FF authors are crossing over and getting published theses days and SR is a prime example of this. E.L. James in my opinion...not so much.

Rebecca Tanya wrote: "I think SR did a wonderful job turning UoEM into Gabriels Inferno. As a Twilight FF reader and writer I couldn't see any similarities to twilight. Most FF writers take the characters and make the..."

As you have read UoEM I was wondering what you thought of the small changes made in Inferno? The only one that really gets my goat is the accident when they see each other again. I think a pivotal point in "bella" is when "edward" refuses any pain medication at he hospital for his broken leg and having that conversation with his dad. That is completely missing in the published version and just don't understand why?
What are your thoughts?