The Lost Entwife Read-Alongs discussion

The Unbearable Lightness > Week 4 Discussion: Part 7

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Presley | 119 comments Mod
Post your final thoughts on Part 7 and the book here.

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan (megoizzy) | 40 comments well, i finished the book over the weekend during my trip. i have to say, reading this book in prague actually caused me to go into a bout of minor depression - i am not kidding. it made me start to see everyone around me as being as fucked up and depressed as the characters, which was in part what i think kundera was going for. most czechs dislike him and consider him a traitor, but i wonder if there isn't something to the fact that he kind of hit the nail on the head and got a little too close to home in his portrayal of these "typical" czechs.

the ending was fitting, given how depressing the book was from start to finish. even the dog dies - and not a nice death, either!

i think a good tragedy has to be combined with some human redemption or some idea that a character has not lived in vain. these characters lived completely in vain - they made their own lives shit and then hated themselves for it.

i also dislike the way that kundera used a kind of passive narrarator's voice at times. at one point, he even went so far as to say "most people write only about themselves. but these characters were born by themselves and have nothing to do with me" (i'm paraphrasing). it's like.. NO, DUDE. YOU CREATED THESE ASSHOLES, TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY HERE.

lol. ok, sorry i'm done. very glad to be finished with this book - bring on madame bovary! lol.

message 3: by Lydia (new)

Megan wrote: "well, i finished the book over the weekend during my trip. i have to say, reading this book in prague actually caused me to go into a bout of minor depression - i am not kidding. it made me start t..."

I'm finishing it up today but I completely agree (I can't even imagine reading this in the place it was set in! UGH! I'd deal with depression too).

I'm glad I've finally read the book, I just wish I'd liked it more. I think the writing was gorgeous, the story just... left me wanting. Bigtime. And now I'm dreading the ending even more (although I can definitely see it's not going to end well).

message 4: by Lydia (new)

Oh my gosh, seriously?

Megan says it well "even the dog dies - and not a nice death, either!".

I don't think I've ever read a more depressing book. But in the end, maybe I was just totally down and not reading it right, in the end do Tomas and Tereza actually make the decision to be together, no more women? no more withdrawing?

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan (megoizzy) | 40 comments they die in the end, it's just that kundera didn't write the book in chronological order. i can't remember exactly where, but at some point he says that tomas's son gets a letter or gets word somehow that his dad and his wife died when their car went off a cliff, and then the last scene is them dancing in a nearby town, after which they presumably drive home and have the fatal accident. at least, that's how i read it.

but i guess for the last few months/years (??) tomas doesn't have any mistresses while they are living in the small town, but i did not in any way get the sense that they were happy together or that tereza was less withdrawn.

message 6: by Lydia (new)

Megan wrote: "they die in the end, it's just that kundera didn't write the book in chronological order. i can't remember exactly where, but at some point he says that tomas's son gets a letter or gets word someh..."

That's right. I'd forgotten about that. I think the last few parts were kind of numbed down in my mind lol

message 7: by Megan (new)

Megan (megoizzy) | 40 comments Lydia wrote: That's right. I'd forgotten about that. I think the last few parts were kind of numbed down in my mind lol "

lol i completely feel your pain. by the end i was just burning through it so that it would be over with. ugh!