What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Arabella: The Smallest Girl in the World
This topic is about Arabella
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Childrens picture book - tiny girl [s]

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elle (new)

Elle | 57 comments I'm looking for a book that was most likely early 1990s - possibly late 1980s. It was a paperback picture book for lower primary about a little girl who was very tiny (maybe the size of a thumb, but not Thumbelina). The main thing that I remember is that she dove off a tap into a bath. The name Angelina or something similar is familiar. It would have been in the era of Titch.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40166 comments Mod
A Tiny Family by Norman Bridwell?

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/81...

message 3: by Elle (new)

Elle | 57 comments Thanks for the reply. No, unfortunately it's not that one. It's just the one little girl. There may have been a fullsized person as well, but I can't really remember that. The pictures are full colour.

I think she did lots of things throughout the book and the last page may have had her falling asleep in something tiny, but all I seem to remember is that she dove off a tap (may have been called a faucet because I would've thought that was weird).

message 4: by Jena (new)

Jena | 40 comments Not one of the many picture book versions of Thumbelina, eh?

message 5: by Elle (new)

Elle | 57 comments No, not a Thumbelina.

It's so annoying that I can't remember any more details about it, but I think if anyone remembers a tiny girl diving off a tap, that would be the book.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

The Teenie Weenie series by William Donahey is much older than what you are looking for, but it does feature tiny people diving into sinks:

"...the diminutive Teenie Weenies, a self-sufficient group of hardworking and courteous two-inch-tall people, appeared in newspapers, books, and on a variety of licensed products between 1914 and 1970...."

message 7: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Or how about the Borrowers? The Borrowers They've had several re-prints and also feature little people. But, looking at the "early primary" I don't think that could really be it--unless it was one that was read to the class.

message 8: by Elle (new)

Elle | 57 comments No, it definitely wasn't a family of little people - just the one little girl.

message 9: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 33 comments I found Little Little Sister by Jane Louise Curry . Does that look familiar?

message 10: by Gloria (new)

Gloria I remember a story like that, but not the faucet part. In the one I have in mind, a full-sized girl finds the tiny girl. At first she is afraid she will run away so she puts a colandar over her. Later she figures out how to make her a bed and other things she needs. I don't remember the name of it, but would love to find it.

message 11: by Elle (new)

Elle | 57 comments Gloria wrote: "I remember a story like that, but not the faucet part. In the one I have in mind, a full-sized girl finds the tiny girl. At first she is afraid she will run away so she puts a colandar over her. ..."

I think this one might sound familiar.

I should maybe add that this could be an Australian book.

message 12: by Elle (new)

Elle | 57 comments Still no luck in finding the book, but I mentioned it to my mum and she suggested that the little girl could have been called Annabelle or Annabella/Anabella.

message 13: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendyclarkbooks) | 30 comments What about The Littles?

message 14: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 147 comments Could the girl be Justine - whom everyone calls Justeenie because she is so small. I don't recall her on a faucet but she does spend time on a flower that grows. The book is called Justeenie.

message 15: by Angela (last edited May 19, 2011 10:43AM) (new)

Angela | 62 comments The part about the colander reminds me of "Poppy" by Anne Perez-Guerra about a fairy named Poppy who woke up one morning in the slipper of a full-sized man. The family falls in love with her and stays with them. Since Poppy was so tiny, she was always getting into trouble and one time the mother put a colander over her and gave her a lump of clay to play with to keep her busy while she was cooking. Poppy filled almost all the holes with the clay and the mother had to clean it out of the colander after she finished cooking.

message 16: by Elle (new)

Elle (rumpus) | 3 comments I'm pretty sure it was a full colour book. Not too old.

I wish I could think of the little girl's name...but all I can think of is Annabelle or Annabella (but I may be getting that confused with No Flying in the House).

message 17: by Elle (new)

Elle | 57 comments Thought I might bump this up and see if anyone knows this book :).

Brenda, I can't seem to find the book 'Justeenie' anywhere?

Probably late 1980s, early 1990s. I'd say it was fairly recent when I read it in ~1992/3.

A bit of a recap..
There was only one tiny person in the book. I think there may have been a young girl that she 'belonged' to. I may remember her having a bath in a soap dish. But the main thing is that she dove off a tap/faucet into a sink.

message 18: by Elle (new)

Elle | 57 comments Thought I might give this a bump to see if it rings a bell with anyone :)

message 19: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Mckinnon | 1 comments I've been looking for that same book for years! And I do think it was something like Annablle. I remember her sleeping in a shoe box next to a girl in a full sized bed and maybe going to the dentist?! Help!

message 20: by Elle (new)

Elle | 57 comments Bump?

message 21: by Liralen (new)

Liralen | 712 comments Huh. I don't remember the title, but I read a picture book that sounds like the same thing when I was little -- the girl had a normal-sized family, I think, and they kept giving her massive portions of food (I seem to remember a plate of spaghetti) in an effort to get her to grow. That didn't work, but eventually someone (a doctor?) told the family to (view spoiler), and that worked. (Also, I think she was blonde?)

Does that sound like the book you're thinking of? Sorry I can't remember the title.

message 22: by SparksofEmber (new)

SparksofEmber | 956 comments Liralen, I think you are referring to The Story of Imelda, Who Was Small. Amazon has some pictures from the book here.

message 23: by Gabs (new)

Gabs  | 127 comments The Tub People is the only thing I could think of, but I don't think it's what you are looking for....

message 24: by Liralen (new)

Liralen | 712 comments Ladysaotome, yes, that's the one I was thinking of. Elle, any luck?

message 25: by SparksofEmber (last edited May 18, 2013 12:28PM) (new)

SparksofEmber | 956 comments Any chance Angela was right and it's Poppy, the Adventures of a Fairy? Edit: I just read it. She sleeps on a bathsponge cause the dollhouse is made of paper and too fragile. She gets into constant trouble and at one point the mom traps her under a colander (with her toys) just to keep her out of mischief. The kids build her a small playground on a window seat and a swimming pool out of a baking pan. At the end she finds a boy fairy and he comes to live with the family, too, so she'll have someone to play with.

message 26: by Elle (new)

Elle | 57 comments Thanks for so many replies!

Unfortunately, it was more of a picture book than Imelda, and they didn't try to change her height.

And it would have been 'newer' than 1930s. Late 80s at earliest, I'd think.

But thanks again for the ideas :).

message 27: by Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, (last edited May 18, 2013 05:00PM) (new)

Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, | 258 comments I may have read this. I don't recall anything except a little girl who wasn't Thumbelina diving into a sink. She was very small, a thumb's length for height or a finger's length. I forget if there were dishes or not in the sink but there was water in the sink and it was in the kitchen and the kitchen was all cluttered, or at least there were many vivid and colored items in the kitchen and there were lots of details like things on the cupboards, ect. The family was normal sized, maybe just a mom and a dad and there was the little girl. She dived into the sink for a swim or to avoid a bird or cat or something. She ended up going outside I think I forget why. Actually. Thinking about it again, I think she was trying to help her mom unplug the sink because it was an old fashioned sink that was just a tub with a cork or something to plug the draining water. She got wet so her mom put her next to the window to dry I think. Or there was a pastry next to the window and she tried it (pie?) then went outside to explore. I'm sorry my memories are all a cluttered but I went through a phase when I was young where any book that had small people like Thumbelina in it I would read. The book I'm trying to remember btw, is Not Thumbelina. She went outside but she never got caught by a frog/toad and never helped a swallow/bird ect. And I do think she had an A name.

message 28: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5054 comments Arabella: The Smallest Girl in the World by Mem Fox?

This was the only pic I could find description

message 29: by Elle (new)

Elle | 57 comments I think that could be it! Mem Fox would be the exact right time! I'll check it out and let you know. Thank you so much!

message 30: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Be sure to come back and let us know if that IS it, ok?

message 31: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) The Tub People would be a long shot, if it's not right...

message 32: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Elle, was "Arabella: The Smallest Girl in the World" your book?

message 33: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2472 comments I think Brenda was referring to this book:

Just Teenie
Author: Susan Meddaugh
Publisher: Boston, [Mass.] : Houghton Mifflin, 2006.
Edition/Format: Book : Fiction : Primary school : English
Database: WorldCat
Summary:
Justine is so small, everyone calls her "Just Teenie," but one day she receives a plant that grows so tall, it gives her a different perspective.

message 34: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) abandoned

message 35: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Konen | 1 comments I have been trying to find a similar-sounding book, just about a little girl, too small for her house and all her things. All I remember was the copy i read as a child in the library had a red cover and black & white illustrations with pops of color, which i found beautiful. i just located it:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

Thank you, goodreads thread. I've finally found The Very Little Girl, by Phyllis Krasilovsky. Can't wait to order by vintage, hardback copy! might this be your book, Elle?

message 36: by Elle (new)

Elle | 57 comments Haven't been able to get my hands on a copy if the book, so I can't confirm :(. Arabella sounds right, though.

message 37: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Maybe we should move to Possibly Solved? Or we can leave in Unsolved until you can find a copy.

message 38: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Elle wrote: "Haven't been able to get my hands on a copy if the book, so I can't confirm :(. Arabella sounds right, though."

Have you been able to get a copy of "Arabella"? Are you ready to call this solved?

message 39: by Ann (new)

Ann | 535 comments Elle, it's on the Internet Archive if you'd like to check it out: https://archive.org/details/arabellas...

message 40: by Elle (last edited Jul 31, 2020 04:11PM) (new)

Elle | 57 comments That's it! Thank you :)

message 41: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Super.