Gigi's Company discussion

Group Reads Discussions > February '11 BotM: Fantasy Lover by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathleen (last edited Feb 01, 2011 05:35PM) (new)

Kathleen Burket (kathleengigicompany) | 20125 comments Mod
Please post comments and discussion here for the February '11 Book of the Month:

Fantasy Lover (Dark-Hunter, #0.5 Prequel) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Fantasy Lover (Dark-Hunter/Were-Hunter, Book .5 Prequel) by Sherrilyn Kenyon

(Selected by Liz, Gajinmama, Ashley Alexis, Natasha, Gigi)

message 2: by Kathleen (last edited Feb 10, 2011 07:49PM) (new)

I read Fantasy Lover (Dark-Hunter, #0) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Fantasy Lover in 2002 when it was initially published. I belonged to a different book review group at that time and I gave it 4 stars. I was impressed with the originality of the story and it hooked me on Sherrilyn Kenyon. The book was not as strong as some of Kenyon's later work, but please remember paranormal romance and urban fantasy were both in their infancy. To read of ancient gods and goddesses interacting in our modern world was unique. Both of these genres owe a debt to Sherrilyn Kenyon.

message 3: by Sam8 (new)

Sam8 | 1857 comments I originally read this back in January 2007 and have read it 2 or three times since. I totally enjoy this book. It wasn't my first introduction to Kenyon's Dark Hunters series as I started with Unleash the Night first and then realized I needed to go back in the series. In this book you get glimpses of people, places and characters that you get to know more of as the series goes on and the nice thing is that Grace and Julien don't disappear as the series goes on, in fact Julien ends up making several appearences which is why I love Kenyon as a craftsman, she has this whole world that keeps evolving and interacting. It totally does it for me. If you are going to read Kenyon . . read from the start, you won't be disappointed.

Grace is turning 29 and her friend Lanie buys her a book, that supposedly has a Greek Love Slave trapped within its pages and upon summoning, he will appear for 30 days and be your love slave. As a joke Grace goes along and does the incantation. A while later a Greek God is standing naked waiting at her beck and command. A lot of hilarity, hot sex, Greek/Spartan history, and a HEA.

like flag

message 4: by Gaijinmama (new)

Gaijinmama | 22 comments Since I'm one of the ones who voted, I just want to jump in and say I have every intention of reading this one and commenting...although, wasn't there and old platitude about good intentions and the road to hell?
Anyway, I've heard great things about Kenyon and about this book in particular. Girls, is it just me or are these PNR/UF books totally addictive?
Honestly, I'm nearly done with a Patricia Briggs book
Blood Bound and I'm like...family, work, sleep, housekeeping, not now honey Mommy is READING!!

Ashley♥Alexis I finally got ahold of this book so I should be done by this weekend

message 6: by Kathleen (new)

Gaijinmama wrote: "...is it just me or are these PNR/UF books totally addictive..."

Not you, they are, ;)

Ashley♥Alexis ok. this book is awful. I didnt even want to read it but since I couldnt vote for the book I wanted to read twice I figured i'd vote for this one on the second poll. Curse my luck for it actually winning. Did I mention this book was awful?

I found myself comparing it to The Pleasure Slave by Gena Showalter which is kinda harsh because she's a great PNR writer and I've never read anything by Sherrilyn Kenyon before. I really really want to read the Dark -Hunter series and luckily I've been told the rest of the series is nothing like this book. SO yeah... this was an awful book and that just goes to show me I shouldn't vote on books I have no interest in reading because it will ruin hours of my day.

I guess I should mention why it's so awful? words cannot describe the mind numbing cheesy-ness of it all. The only thing the hero had going for him was his hotness. A sex therapist who knows nothing about sex? really?! A PHD with a taro card stand on the street? Hmmm ok. But I guess anything is possible in Louisiana. (True Blood much?)

message 8: by Gaijinmama (last edited Feb 16, 2011 04:35PM) (new)

Gaijinmama | 22 comments AshleyAlexis, I started it last night and I agree with you. It's cheesy. I just have to keep going a few more pages to see if it's Velveeta (in which case, I'll drop it) or a decent sharp Cheddar.
A few things are too hard to...what's the expression...suspend my disbelief about. Riiiiiight. A PhD Rhodes scholar who has a Tarot stand on the street. Now...full disclosure here. I have a Master's degree and I teach at the university level...and I've been reading Tarot since I was 16. I've even been paid for it in the past.
We don't have to go into it here but reading the cards does not mean a person is silly. They're just a tool.

However: what's bugging me about Selena is not that she reads Tarot but that she is so dippy and dumb and, even though Kenyon goes on and on about the Gypsy blood in her veins, yadda yadda ad infinitum, the girl couldn't turn a tadpole into a frog! And she's all..."Oh dear, what happened, I wonder what I did wrong?"
Nope. If she were smart, educated and descended from hereditary magical folk, she'd actually know what she was doing.
And Our Heroine? The sex therapist who hasn't been laid in 4 years? Now, many health care professionals are pretty dysfunctional themselves. I come from a family of counselors, social workers, and ministers, and I can say from experience that one big reason they go into those careers is because it's a way of figuring out their own issues. However, for
someone who hears the intimate details of people's desires for a living, she's way too uptight and prudish. For the love of Pete, she can't even call his...ahem...Turgid Manroot what it is! A huge part of that sort of profession is being able to say uncomfortable words with a straight face. To me, that's why she isn't believable.
But whatever. When I get to the big consummation I'll decide if it's worth continuing.
And I will definitely check out Gena Showalter.

message 9: by Kathleen (last edited Feb 16, 2011 07:19PM) (new)

Food for thought for new readers of Fantasy Lover:

This book was written 9 years ago and IS NOT reflective of the current style of PNR/UF. It would be similar to comparing bodice rippers from a few decades ago to contemporary romance. Apples and oranges, folks.

Many of the modern PNR writers were inspired by Dark Hunters when there was little else being written in this style.

Fantasy Lover IS NOT Sherrilyn Kenyon's best book, but is the prequel to the Dark Hunters series. Hence, most Kenyon fans believe that it should be read first.

In is my understanding that Sherrilyn Kenyon worked in Jackson Square in New Orleans as a fortune teller at some point in her history and Kenyon does have a PhD in classical history.

Kathleen
Assistant Moderator

message 10: by Gaijinmama (last edited Feb 17, 2011 04:44AM) (new)

Gaijinmama | 22 comments Thanks for the info. Since this is in fact my first time reading Kenyon, there is a lot I don't know about her and her work. I'm quite new to the whole paranormal thing actually (but thanks to Goodreads it has really become an addiction!).
I definitely have a need to read a series in order,
so I wouldn't dream of not starting here.
As I said above, I do not have a problem with an educated, intelligent woman reading Tarot or working magic. I'm just not convinced by the characters.
Yet.

message 11: by Ashley♥Alexis (last edited Feb 17, 2011 12:13AM) (new)

Ashley♥Alexis I hear what you're saying Kathleen. It's really hard to read a "dated" book and take it for what it was back then w/o adding the standards of today's novels to it. Like i said when I was reading it I was comparing it to another trapped "sex slave" book i'd read. And That wasn't very fair. I've also been reading such amazing PNR books lately I think i'm reviewing a bit harshly. But... I still didn't like this book. Next time I vote i'll check the published date as well.

I didn't have anything against any of the characters really or even the lore. I found the lore interesting. I didn't like the writing and all the descriptive language of how Jillian made her feel was wasted because I was bored and the dialogue very campy.

Did I mention I didn't like this book?

message 12: by Gaijinmama (last edited Feb 23, 2011 11:48PM) (new)

Gaijinmama | 22 comments Stayed up till 3 and finished it last night.
I changed my opinion and started to like it a lot better about two-thirds of the way through.
Julian turned out to be a believable "wounded hero" type with enough of a bad boy streak to keep him interesting. And I ended up really enjoying his wacky dysfunctional family of gods.
I am still annoyed by the fact that Selena is portrayed as such a flake. In fact, if she were an educated, intelligent,not to mention hereditary practitioner of the magical arts, her spells would work.
Actually the bit with her Voodoo Priestess sister was believable. In fact, I can say with pretty fair confidence that a Voodoo practitioner would probably not mess with a pantheon of gods that were not hers.
But that's nit-picking. The romance was sweet, and convincing and pretty darn hot.
And I liked how several of my favorite childhood reads from the 70s got name-dropped!

message 13: by Natasha (new)

Natasha (bookniblet) | 41 comments All I can say is that I caught myself holding my breath... and to me that's a good sign. I think that if Selena's character was portrayed any other way, she wouldn't have been able to convince Grace to do anything. They were opposites of each other. I didn't necessarily perceive her as flighty, though...more of a person who was willing to be open to whatever without reservation instead of reserved like Grace. Regarding Grace's occupation and her sexual hang-ups, I believe she had already chosen her field of work as her traumatic "bad experience" occurred only five years before.

I would have liked to have gotten my hands on that book before Grace did...lol ;)

message 14: by Sam8 (new)

Sam8 | 1857 comments Natasha wrote: "I would have liked to have gotten my hands on that book before Grace did...lol ;)

I right with you there sista! :-)

message 15: by Gaijinmama (new)

Gaijinmama | 22 comments Sam wrote: "Natasha wrote: "I would have liked to have gotten my hands on that book before Grace did...lol ;)

I right with you there sista! :-)"

Me too!! But I just don't see myself waiting a whole month to...you know. Or insisting that he get dressed and go sight-seeing with me when he wants to....you know.

message 16: by Natasha (new)

Natasha (bookniblet) | 41 comments Gaijinmama wrote: "Sam wrote: "Natasha wrote: "I would have liked to have gotten my hands on that book before Grace did...lol ;)

I right with you there sista! :-)"
Me too!! But I just don't see myself wait..."

Lmao... Absolutely ... ;)