Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Monthly Challenges > February 2011

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) National Eating Disorder Week- Read a YA, MG or Juvenile book where a character in the book is dealing with an eating disorder.

message 2: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Kellee wrote: "National Eating Disorder Week- Read a YA, MG or Juvenile book where a character in the book is dealing with an eating disorder."

If you do not know what to read for this month, Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson, Perfect by Natasha Friend, and Just Listen by Sarah Dessen are some great books!

message 3: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

Jennifer W | 1289 comments Mod
There's also a list or two on goodreads dealing with eating disorders like:

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/21...

message 4: by Izzy (new)

Izzy I read Perfect by Natasha Friend, so I believe that puts me at 2 points for this month.

message 5: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Izzy wrote: "I read Perfect by Natasha Friend, so I believe that puts me at 2 points for this month."

That is a tough read (as is all books about eating disorders), but did you like it?

message 6: by Izzy (new)

Izzy I liked it a lot! It wasn't as dark as for instance, Wintergirls, although it was still definitely a hard read. I loved how the ending wrapped everything up while not being too unrealistically perfect.

message 7: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 136 comments I read Identical
Identical by Ellen Hopkins

Definitely a hard read!

Total Points: 58

message 8: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Cathy wrote: "I read Identical
Identical by Ellen Hopkins

Definitely a hard read!

Total Points: 58"

Wow- seems VERY rough!

message 9: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

When We Were Saints It doesn't sound like it's about an eating disorder, and for the first half of the book, it isn't, but it becomes a huge component in the story. I found it to be a realistic, and not too preachy, look at discovering faith. It's also about taking faith too far and believing that only at the extremes can a person be holy.

2 points
Total: 27 points

message 10: by Angela Sunshine (new)

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) Jennifer W wrote: "When We Were Saints It doesn't sound like it's about an eating disorder, and for the first half of the book, it isn't, but it becomes a huge component in the story. I found it to be a..."

Hmm, good to know. I have this one at home and have been pushing it off a bit because I haven't felt like reading a sermon. Glad to hear it deals with real problems in a down to earth way!

message 11: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

It's not a sermon, but there is a lot of talk about God, sometimes to the point that I'd have to take a break for a while. I found Archie to be realistic, he questions his faith and constantly wants signs from God that he's doing the right thing. Clare was interesting as sometimes she's just a little too "good," but then other times, she's fanatical. To me, that was the best part of the story; at what point does following faith turn into being crazy?

message 12: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 136 comments I also read

Keeping the Moon
Keeping the Moon by Sarah Dessen

and

Perfect Perfect by Natasha Friend

Total Points: 60

message 13: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey | 1046 comments I read Hunger, which was an awesome book about the horsemen of the apocalypse and the main character struggled with anorexia and became Famine. Definitely an interesting novel.

message 14: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Kristen wrote: "I read Hunger, which was an awesome book about the horsemen of the apocalypse and the main character struggled with anorexia and became Famine. Definitely an interesting novel."

Wow- that sounds intense! :)
Did you read it in February or after the fact?

message 15: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey | 1046 comments During February. :-D I think it was my last read of February. It's a short book and it was quite intense at times. Looking forward to the next book - Rage.

message 16: by Kellee (last edited Mar 31, 2011 05:50PM) (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) I read Before I Fall in March which has a side story of eating disorders. Not going to give away too much...

+1 pt.