Axis Mundi X discussion

Character Names

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 7 comments Does anyone else have things/pets/children named after characters in a book? I was just wondering, since I have a co-worker who has a guinea pig named Dorian Gray and we have a stapler at work that we have dubbed Lolita. (We have a fondness for naming our office supplies. We have another stapler named Fernando, and a CC machine called Perez)

message 2: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 1818 comments Mod
I have a cat named after the illustrator and author Edward Gorey, Eddy.

[image error]

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) You named your daughter The Second Mrs. de Winter?

Hee.

message 4: by Ruth (last edited Aug 09, 2008 02:13PM) (new)

Ruth Named a cat after a writer once. Carl Sandburg.
He (the cat) was grey and fuzzy. Like fog.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Well, Ko, the second Mrs. de Winter didn't have a name, either, so if she had no name at all, she'd still be named after her!

message 6: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) | 3620 comments Mod
names from books for pets of mine since childhood:

Bilbo Baggins (our Golden Retriever)
Sam Gamgee (our black cat)
Bombur (my black and white cat)
Merry & Pippin (his brothers who were given away)

yeah... uhm... we had a little bit of a fixation on a certain book series when we were kids. I blame my father.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Char, before I was born my parents had two dogs named Frodo and Gandalf.

message 8: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell We had cockatiels named Bilbo, Merry, and Pippen.

message 9: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) | 3620 comments Mod
Thank goodness... I feel much less like a complete dork now. Or, at least, a complete dork among other complete dorks... which is enough. : )

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 62 comments I take the crown of dorkiness,or rather my wife I have 4 dogs and they all have Disney themed names except 1 and hers is historical Cleopatra.

The others are Tinker Bell the Chihuahua,Anastasia Jack Russel,Celia Pit Bull,Cleo is a Pit also

message 11: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Wasn't Cleo the fish in Pinocchio?

message 12: by Dave (last edited Aug 09, 2008 09:39PM) (new)

Dave Russell Russell! Jack Russell!

message 13: by Sarah (last edited Aug 09, 2008 09:45PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) What Disney film is Celia in?

Also, Anastasia wasn't Disney, it was Bluth. And here's a little tidbit: the music was by Ahrens & Flaherty, who also wrote the music to Ragtime, currently starring Yours Truly.

message 14: by Rebecca (last edited Aug 09, 2008 11:03PM) (new)

Rebecca | 83 comments My cat was Sootica, after a character in the Gobbolino books.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/70...

message 15: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Aww! Kitty!

message 16: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 7 comments Those are all cool names. sooo.. no one else names office supplies? (feeling like i'm very odd now)

message 17: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

The refrigerators in the staff room here are named Hansel and Gretel, and the stove is named Puff.
I haven't gotten to a first name basis with my stapler, yet.

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Used to have a couch named Sophie. But that's not all that original, now, is it?

message 19: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (last edited Aug 11, 2008 01:37PM) (new)

I like Sophie for a sofa, Sarah. Very fitting!

My best friend named her Volvo "Gloria", don't know why.
I've tried to convince my husband that our house is called "The Brambles", but so far no luck.

message 20: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 7 comments Jackie, your cat looks perfectly cute and evil at the same time, as all cats should look.

message 21: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

The evil look is just a facade, but yeah, he's got that Halloween cat look. Especially when he arches his back.

message 22: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 7 comments I once bestowed the moniker of Eartha kitty to one of the shelter cats that I took care of, although that's not a literary name. people used to groan when I told them her name. What a better name for cat than the person who originally played catwoman?

and steve, my grandmother also drove in a way that would instill fear into the hearts of her passengers. I still believe that my grandfather clung to the roof of the car in ghostly form warding vehicles out of her path.

message 23: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 576 comments I don't have any children so can't name them after anything yet, though i do like the name Tabitha for a girl - the daughter in Bewitched.

I have a miniture Yorkshire terrior and he was called Scamp, which I'm sure is one of the names of Ladys pups in Lady and the Tramp.

I also had a goldfish I called Flounder - I loved The Little Mermaid, actually I still do.