Art Lovers discussion

Picture of the Day > February 2011 Favorite Pictures

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Monica (new)

Monica | 909 comments [image error]
Kitagawa Utamaro (Japanese, 1753/54–1806)
New Year's Games, from the printed book Flowers of the Four Seasons (Shiki no hana) Metropolitan Museum of Art

My friend thinks that the game they are playing in the picture is called "Hagoita." It's like a badminton. The racket is made of wood.
Here is the link about Hagoita.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagoita

message 3: by Monica (new)

Monica | 909 comments Woo, Hoo, AC!!! GREAT find!!!!!!!

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments [image error]

Artist Fernand Léger (French, Argentan 1881–1955 Gif-sur-Yvette)
TitleWoman with a Cat
Date 1921
Medium Oil on canvas

As a young man in France, Fernand Léger was apprenticed to an architect (1897–99), then worked as an architectural draftsman (1900–02) and a photographic retoucher (1903–04). He studied art at the École des Arts Décoratifs and the Académie Julian in Paris. Along with Pablo Picasso, Georges Braque, and Juan Gris, Léger ranks among the foremost Cubist painters of the teens. Even after the height of Cubism, his paintings continued to utilize pure color and to employ forms that had been simplified into the geometric components of the cone, cube, and sphere. After World War I, when Léger became friends with Le Corbusier and Amédée Ozenfant, who were leaders of the Purist movement in Paris (ca. 1918–ca. 1925), his work exemplified the "machine aesthetic."

"Woman with a Cat" belongs to a group of monumental female figures — some reading, others drinking cups of tea — that are emblematic of the artist's new grand figure style from his "mechanica" period of 1918–23. These works might be seen as preparatory for his large masterpiece "Three Women (Le Grand Déjeuner)" of 1921 (Museum of Modern Art, New York) and its two smaller variants. Léger also painted variations of the single-figure composition and made a slightly smaller, nearly identical version of "Woman with a Cat" (Kunsthalle, Hamburg).

Motionless, hierarchic, and frontal, this colossal creature seems made of some undefinable rubberized substance. The powerful large nude woman, painted in grisaille, is composed of spheres, cones, and tubes. She leans against billowing pillows — one off-white, the other a black-and-yellow diamond pattern. A yellow blanket protects her lap, upon which rests an open book and a cat. Her mane of black hair covers half of her white spherical face. The stark simplicity of the composition is matched by the reduced palette of red, yellow, black, and white.

http://www.metmuseum.org/works_of_art...

message 5: by C.nick (new)

C.nick (cnick) | 6 comments description

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments Lovely!

message 7: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl C.nick wrote: ""

What are we looking at?

message 8: by C.nick (new)

C.nick (cnick) | 6 comments Oh yes, sorry, the painting is a portrait of someone in the Chigi family and the artist was Jacob Ferdinand Voet.

message 9: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl I was close. I was thinking maybe Cornelis de Vos or Van Dyck.

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 1140 comments I went to the New Britain Museum of American Art tonight to see a new exhibit called Women Artists. It was exhibited by 8 themes: abstraction, identity, the city and modernity, narratives, nature, nudes, portraits and written signs. They include paintings, prints, sculpture, photography, video, one installation and a hologram. Everything from Jane Stuart (Gilbert's Stuart's daughter to Helen Frankenthaler.

beautiful lithograph by Louise Nevelson

Georgia O'Keeffe, East River from the 30th Story of the Shelton Hotel

Harriet W. Frishmuth, Peter Pan

Nude Study, 1939. Lee Krasner. Charcoal on paper, 25 x 18 7/8 in.

I wish I could find more images online.

message 11: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Neat. I like all those except Peter Pan.

message 12: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 1140 comments That's not the best picture of Peter Pan. It was better in person.

message 13: by Monica (new)

Monica | 909 comments Someone in the Chigi family??? Where did you find it? I'm intrigued!

message 14: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 1140 comments I found a few more from the "Women Artists" exhibit --

Liu Hung, Relic 12, 2005, oil on canvas and lacquered wood, 66x66." The red square is translated slave, where it is located indicates that she is a sex slave.

This is a hologram of the artist Harriet Casdin-Silver who was a pioneer of the use of holograms as an art medium. The exhibit provided a listening excerpt of the artist’s life in her words. It was interesting that as you moved past her exhibit, the hologram moved with you.

Polly Ethel Thayer (1904-2006), Circles, ca. 1928, oil on canvas

Cynthia Westwood, Blue Bathroom, detail, 2006, oil on linen, 20 x 30"

Julie Heffernan, Everything that Rises, 2003, oil on canvas --is staged in a grand ballroom like space, the artist appears to be telling a story about the life of the mind, imagination and myth.

[image error]
Kay Sage, Unusual Thursday, 1951

[image error]
Lalla Essaydi, Converging Territories #12 – sorry so small, only one I could find. Here is another work by her. Moroccan born photographer, Lalla Essaydi incorporates layers of Islamic calligraphy applied by hand with henna.
[image error]

[image error]
Nina Bentley, Corporate Executive Wife's Service Award Bracelet (Homage To Lorna Wendt), 1999, plated silver and chain

[image error]
This is the artist, Sister Mary Corita Kent, but not the artwork in the show. (It was also based on text entitled Stars.)

There was also this great nude by Ruth Weisberg called "Mirrors", 1926 which I wish I could post but I cannot find anywhere.

message 15: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl That bracelet is pretty funny.

message 16: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1948 comments I LOVE that bracelet.

message 17: by Monica (new)

Monica | 909 comments Yeah, it's like the ones were all wearing with the hearts. Brilliant.

message 18: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl I used to have a sterling silver bracelet with teapot charms.

message 19: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 1140 comments What hearts? I remember charm bracelets when I was little. Nina Bentley's bracelet is one of my favorites in the exhibit.

message 20: by Monica (new)

Monica | 909 comments They have a single heart. They come with matching necklaces.

message 21: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 1140 comments Don't think I've seen one.

[image error]
Florine Stettheimer, spring sale at Bendel's, 1921

[image error]
James Tissot, The Shop Assistant, 1883-85

The second half of the 19th century offered a new subject matter for artists – the department store. Le Bon Marché is the most famous department stores in Paris and is regarded at the first department store of the world (1865) designed by Gustave Eiffel. New urban additions inspired writers like Emile Zola who published Ladies Delight in 1883, and artists followed.

message 22: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1948 comments Oh but this bracelet is also a prison chain. It reminds me of Scrooge's vision of the dead Marley, dragging his chains of all the things he cared about in life. Those executive wives are sinking under the weight of all those obligatory social obligations.

message 23: by C.nick (new)

C.nick (cnick) | 6 comments Monica wrote: "Someone in the Chigi family??? Where did you find it? I'm intrigued!"

Wikimedia commons, so I would say take it with a grain of salt.

message 24: by Monica (new)

Monica | 909 comments Carol I'm gonna email a pic of a bracelet. That is, if I have your address on this laptop!

message 25: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments Cézanne's Card Players
Art with a quietly subversive message.

By Christopher Benfey
at The Metropolitan Museum of Art

When this version of Paul Cézanne's The Card Players was first exhibited in Paris in 1910, four years after the artist's death, it was an immediate popular success. It's easy to see why. The roughhewn Provencal table and the clay pipes hanging on the wall convey a serene mood of rural simplicity. The lavish folds of the golden curtain, hoisted as though the quietly absorbed players are actors on a stage, and the lush blue smock right below it (no one paints blue like Cézanne), add a luxuriant opulence reminiscent of Venetian masters like Titian. But sophisticated artists and writers looking closely at Cézanne's paintings a hundred years ago saw something more in such pictures than nostalgia for country life—much more.

message 26: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments Hi Sherry Lynn. First, yes when there is a source to which we should refer the work, we should do it. I try to attribute the writings to whomever wrote it.

I'm not really sure what you are asking when you say how we would like the pictures uploaded. I don't think there is a certain way. Do you know how to post a picture? And what do you mean by 'preferred sources'? Maybe I'm just tired and someone else can answer these questions. I'm sorry.

message 27: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1948 comments Who knows where people get their images. If you want to link to an image, click on (some html is ok) and use the code given there.

message 28: by Heather (last edited Feb 23, 2011 09:04AM) (new)

Heather | 4 comments
Morning in the Village after Snowstorm (Utro posle v'iugi v derevne), 1912. Oil on canvas, 31 1/2 x 31 1/2 inches (80 x 80 cm). Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York
Kazimir Malevich 1978-1935

"The paintings of the Russian avant-garde have, in general, elicited two types of interpretation: one focuses on issues of technique and style; the other concentrates on social and political issues. The former method is usually applied to Kazimir Malevich’s early paintings, grounded as they are in the forms of Cubism, Futurism, and other contemporaneous art movements; the latter largely avoids Malevich in favor of more politically engaged artists such as El Lissitzky, Aleksandr Rodchenko, and Vladimir Tatlin."

"From the formalist’s standpoint, Morning in the Village after Snowstorm is, in its mastery of complex colors and shapes, a perfect example of the newly created Russian style, Cubo-Futurism. The figures have been called a continuation of the genre types Malevich portrayed in his Neo-primitive paintings, their depiction seemingly reliant on Fernand Léger’s work, which Malevich could have known from an exhibition in Moscow in February 1912 or through reproductions. This phase in Malevich’s career has been seen as his formidable stopover on his journey toward abstraction and the development of Suprematism."

"But to ignore the political and social dimensions of Malevich’s art would be a disservice. Malevich came from humble circumstances and it is clear in autobiographical accounts that vivid memories of his country childhood compensated for his lack of a formal art education. Morning in the Village after Snowstorm demonstrates that his hard-won skills as a sophisticated painter were rooted in an unmistakably Russian experience. If art can be said to augur the future, then Malevich’s repeated decision—on the brink of the October Revolution—to depict peasants cannot have been merely coincidental."

Cornelia Lauf

If anyone subscribes to the Guggenheim Museum website on Facebook, they are now drawing to give away a free poster of the people who 'Like' the above painting. I hope I win!

message 29: by Monica (new)

Monica | 909 comments This would be funny except for all my neighbors and friends in Michigan who got walloped with a foot of snow and ice and are expecting 5 inches more on the weekend mixed with ice and freezing rain.

message 30: by James (new)

James (abc-book) | 3 comments Here is a drawing recently done by a student at the Grand Central...

message 31: by Monica (new)

Monica | 909 comments Good heavens, James! Nice to meet you. Who is the student and what is the Grand Central. Where I come from its a train station. What a luscious drawing and model!

message 32: by James (new)

James (abc-book) | 3 comments Sorry about that, I should have included the name and link.

The artist is Brendan Johnston

The image is at http://grandcentralacademy.blogspot.com/

Best

James

message 33: by John (new)

John David (nicholasofautrecourt) I thought Jesus was supposed to be cut.

message 34: by Ike (new)

Ike Rose | 10 comments John wrote: "I thought Jesus was supposed to be cut."

So was King David - Look at the foreskin on the famous statue. Since Jews were banned from most of Europe periodically, (a sort of game of musical chairs, with bribes to the ruler instead of music) and they have very high standards of modesty that would have barred them from nude modeling, artists used Christian models, and had never seen a cut penis.

message 35: by Ike (new)

Ike Rose | 10 comments James wrote: "Here is a drawing recently done by a student at the Grand Central...

"

A popular model at the shcool, I noticed when I visited the blog.

message 36: by Judi (new)

Judi (jvaughn) | 59 comments AC wrote: "Google Art:
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/0..."

Thank you Google for the Tretakov Museum on your site. I visited there 10 years ago and it was a highlight. So many gorgeous paintings, and from all time periods. I love the 1850-1930 period in art and I loved that same period at this Russian art museum.
Judi

message 37: by C.nick (new)

C.nick (cnick) | 6 comments description

Portrait of Theresa, Countess Kinsky, 1793 by Marie-Louise Elisabeth Vigee-Lebrun

message 38: by Judi (new)

Judi (jvaughn) | 59 comments I love her work. It is so full of the subject's personality.

message 39: by Monica (new)

Monica | 909 comments Me too. I don't know enough about her, but Carol will remedy that when her birthday comes along!

message 40: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 1140 comments In the 18th century Marie-Louise Elisabeth Vigee-Lebrun was the most famous female painter. She painted 600+ portraits and 200+ landscapes.

Initially taught by her father, later advised by Greuze and Vernet. She married a painter/art dealer and became the court painter for Marie Antoinette. Later she became a member of France's Académie Royale de Peinture et de Sculpture despite the committee opposition (thanks to Louis XVI with Marie Antoinette's urging.) During the French Revolution she fled to Russia and painted for Catherine the Great as well as became a member of the Academy of Fine Arts of Saint Petersburg. She also traveled to Italy. Later when her name was removed from the list of counter-revolutionary émigrés, Vigée Le Brun returned to France.

http://www.batguano.com/vigee.html

BK: Memoirs of Madame Vigée Lebrun --
http://digital.library.upenn.edu/wome...

message 41: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 1140 comments
Madame Vigée-Le Brun and daughter Julie, 1786