Do Some Damage discussion

LATE RAIN 2nd book > Corrine The Second (spoilers!)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alison (new)

Alison Dasho (Janssen) (alisondasho) | 13 comments Alright, at Brian's request, let's talk about Paige.

In my view, she's a little mini Corrine-in-waiting, only better at manipulation, smarter, and more likely to get away with shit in the end.

I read the end of the book as Paige intentionally letting Jack out of the house, knowing full well that he may suffer an accidental death. It is my suspicion that she's been unlocking the door for him regularly throughout the book

After all, patience is a sucker's game.

message 2: by Ben (new)

Ben | 14 comments What would her motivation be?

message 3: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Funk | 19 comments Brilliant observation, Alison.

I see her more as an "anti-Corrine," in the sense that she's far smarter and tougher. Corrine, for me, was fueled on insecurities, whereas Paige has the confidence of many successful forms of manipulation. But, yeah, still a conniving vixen.

I also found her less sympathetic. Her Mom treated her well, her home was pretty stable and while Jack could be bothersome, it's not like he did much wrong to her. But she blithely tried to do away with him and certainly was terrible to everybody.

message 4: by Alison (new)

Alison Dasho (Janssen) (alisondasho) | 13 comments Control.

"He's not doing well," Paige said. "The doctors keep telling Mother it's time to put him in long-term care. He needs supervision. Grandfather's become even more unpredictable in his moods lately, and he's still finding ways to get out of the house."
"What's your mom going to do?"
"She can't make up her mind," Paige said. "Mother knows what she needs to do, but she's weak."
"Aren't you being a little hard on her?"
"No," Paige said. "I'm not."
"I have to watch out for my mother. I mean, I love her, but she's too emotional, and it clouds her judgment sometimes."

Paige wants to control her environment, and be the sole beneficiary of Anne's attentions and financial investment. She sees that her grandpa is about to become a real attention-and-money-suck, and she acts accordingly.

message 5: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Funk | 19 comments Yep, and Paige knows that Ben's a wounded animal, and so pushes her ad hoc father figure, the school counselor, into his place as soon as he vacates the premises.

message 6: by Elizabeth A. (new)

Elizabeth A. (elizabethawhite) | 32 comments Corrine was just repulsive to me. Paige, on the other hand, was downright scary. Definitely a budding little sociopath, and I also completely read it as though she was deliberately trying to get rid of Jack by letting him run free and hoping something bad would happen. Scary little demon child, that one. And like Matt said, without even the "justification" for her behavior that Corrine (arguably) had.

message 7: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronearlphillips) | 18 comments Kostoff definitely put a lot of mental dysfunction going on. Elizabeth assertion is on the mark, Paige is a sociopath. She has no care for her mother or grandfather.