Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Etcetera > Brrr! Winter Weather and the Superbowl

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Did we ever get blasted during the night. Saturday and Sunday we were in the mid 70's and now, we are in 20's and dropping down into the teens for highs on Wednesday and Thursday. I've got about 2 inches of snow over a layer of ice. All city offices and schools in Central and Northern Texas are closed. Unfortunately, because of the continued cold weather, this stuff isn't going to melt until maybe Friday. Usually, we get the wet stuff, but it melts as soon as the sun comes out. Not this time, though.
Meanwhile, Arlington, Dallas and Ft. Worth are going strong in the celebrations of the Super Bowl for Sunday. Both teams arrived on Monday. Packers are staying in Irving, TX. and the Steelers are staying in Ft. Worth. Last week they painted the end zones with the teams logos. Center is painted with the NFL logo. They are also working on the stage to be quickly set up for half time show. Lots of press are around, over a 1,000. Today, Tues, is media day. Lots of high priced parties are going on with big name entertainment. The cheapest one is close to $500.00 per ticket, most tickets for these events are over $1,000.00. Prince's concert is the highest: $1,500.00 per ticket. Meantime, a stripper bar is bringing in 100 pole dancers. Lots of money being spent around here.
Security is really tight. Roads around the stadium are closed to one lane only. On game day, the nearest parking will be over a mile away. There will be shuttle buses and golf carts offered to fans to get to the stadium. Mass transit trains and buses are being searched with bomb sniffing dogs. Most of the homeland security measures are being done by Federal agents. Some are even trained in reading mannerisms of suspicious individuals. We are staying away from that area, will watch it on the TV.
Meantime, restaurants are worried this wicked weather will cause a downturn on the expected revenue. They have extended their hours and hired extra cooks/wait staff.
Trying to stay warm,
Lorraine

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3641 comments REALLY cold for you guys! It's -4 here right now, which has been the high so far today!

message 3: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3111 comments I'm still waiting for December's snow to melt. I'm running out of places to put it.

message 4: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (JaneNancy) | 161 comments What a lot of hoopla! I usually don't caught up in it much, even though I am aware of the teams involved and the excitement about the event. It takes a lot of preparation to get ready for it! The weather is really going to be a factor. I enjoyed reading what you wrote about it.
NJ

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14967 comments Lorraine: Thanks for the interesting tidbits about the Super Bowl festivities and preparations! This week's weather is a good example of why the NFL requires the Super Bowl Host to have a DOMED Stadium!! Stay warm and safe. Hope Fred is feeling ok!

message 6: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3667 comments I don't think December's snow will melt until august. It has alot of snow and ice to get to before we get to the december stuff. LOL. The guy they talked to yesterday in NJ on the news in one of the parking lots said you can't complain all you want but it won't do anything. Another said at midnight on friday you are half way though winter. I don't know if that is good or bad. Also Mr. Groundhog saw his shadow (don't know where he was) so spring will come early this year. Is he ever right? Let's hope this time he is.

message 7: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8255 comments DJ, forget about spring in six weeks. Someone mentioned this in a meeting today and we all laughed hysterically. I don't think this snow is going to melt until April.

Why hasn't anyone invented a machine that melts and purifies snow? That would make a killing, every town in the North and Midwest is wresting with this issue.

Donnajo wrote: "I don't think December's snow will melt until august. It has alot of snow and ice to get to before we get to the december stuff. LOL. The guy they talked to yesterday in NJ on the news in one of..."

message 8: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3667 comments Carol my sister & bil asked me today if I made up my mind. I said I decided no on the week trip to florida while they are down there for 6 weeks. They both said they understood and my sister said she probably wouldn't be able to do it herself either and she said my niece said the same thing. I know I'll be sorry about it's not the plane ride it's the airport finding where to go and the weather if they cancel the flight. My bil said you go continental it's easy to find or ask for help and the worst it trying to get your luggage. Then I thought some of the clothes I need are at the shore. And just getting ready. It's going to be the longest 6 weeks of my life. Put I have stuff I have to do for them. they mostly prepaid bills but some might still show up that I might have to take care of and deposting certain checks that are expected. I don't have to worry about going to their house I told them that they are stopping newspapers and will stop the mail but have to speak with the mail lady because normally they will only hold the mail for 30 days and it's alot longer but I'll be picking it up once a week. They leave a week from sunday the day after Isabelle's birthday party they won't even be here for the day of her birthday. But they just decided and made plans after talking to someone who works int he dentist office about the train you can put your car on and it's someplace in Virginia and it goes to someplace 3 hours from where they are going to be in florida. So they don't have to drive going for 2 days.
Then they come back but will probably drive all the way coming back. And that will be the beginning of April. There will be alot of phone call making I'm sure. They are staying at the girl who owns the beauty parlor we go to her condo which she is selling the day after they leave to come home so Denise said they will be saying goodbye to it for her because she's leaving everything there.

message 9: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3667 comments I did finally go out today so I know what to expect in the outside of world LOL tomorrow when I have to go out myself. I took a ride to the cemetary with them by my parent's to change the flowers. I did it because we haven't been there since before the holidays and I won't get there until they get home. I saw less snow in other areas. And yes parking lots are bad with ice. I just walked slow and hoped no ones was watching me. Went out for a nice lunch (salad and pasta) which I have half the pasta as leftover for another time. Tomorrow I go for my hair to be cut at 2 not crazy about the time but by that time everything that got icy should be melted. And I have to do other errands at the same time. I told them while they are gone I'm planning on doing salvation army and cleaning my clothes and getting rid of stuff. And they both said they will make a bet I don't do it.

message 10: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments I lived in Michigan for 29 years. I thought I was away from all of this.
In Texas we are not used to this kind of weather. Three days of below freezing temps. set a record. First time 3 consecutive days below freezing in 30 years.
Some differences between Texas preparedness and Michigan's:
99 per cent of the homes do not have a basement
when temps. get below freezing, must drip faucets and open cupboards on outside wall rooms to prevent
pipes from freezing.
We have no snowplows in the DFW area. Because of the Superbowl and thousands in town, the city of
Amarillo(they get snow there) lent 6 plows. They are plowing the freeways. I've been here since 1981 and
this is the first time I've seen this.
Schools, over 300 of them have been shut down since Tuesday.
Normally, TXDOT only puts a salt mixture on the freeways during winter storms. The main streets and side streets receive nothing. When freezing rain or snow falls, that's where it lays until it melts.
Wednesday into early Thursday, we had rolling blackouts. Two of the state's power plants went down after experiencing broken water pipes(frozen) which put a strain on the other plants. So, we had blackouts off and on through out the day. I experienced 2 blackouts, one lasted about 45 min. the other about 20. No heat or lights during the blackouts.
As of today, Friday, the ice hasn't melted, we received a few inches of snow over night. I need to go to the grocery store on Saturday, we will take the pick up and limp along the way.

Fred has his next appointment Wednesday. .

message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14967 comments I can sympathize, Lorraine! We don't have the kind of snow removal equipment here to deal with a prolonged snow that doesn't melt either. The blackouts must be scary not knowing when or how long they will occur. Stay safe and warm! Hope all is clear by next Wed. for Fred's appointment and that he is doing as well as possible.

message 12: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3667 comments It's on almost channel and all news shows. It's horrible. Stay safe and hope it clears up.

message 13: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3111 comments We have the equipment, we have just run out of places to push the snow to.
I spend about an hour a day moving snow to make room for the next storm, and now, I'm trying to figure out how to get an oil truck to my house.

message 14: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Now, ice had fallen off the Cowboy Stadium and injured 6 workers. One is still in the hospital. I keep telling hubby, God doesn't like Jerry Jones.
All these awful, unusual things happening and we haven't had the Superbowl yet. I keep wondering what shoe is going to drop next.

message 15: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14967 comments Lorraine: Yikes! I hope the rest of the Super Bowl event goes on without a hitch.
Brakedrum wrote: "Now, ice had fallen off the Cowboy Stadium and injured 6 workers. One is still in the hospital. I keep telling hubby, God doesn't like Jerry Jones. All these awful, unusual things happening and ..."

message 16: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments I am so glad it's over. We finally melted on Saturday. Crowds came out. But complaints came:
The lack of snow/ice removal earlier in the week
The Press booked hotels in Dallas. I know what went wrong with that one. The team is called the Dallas Cowboys, but their old stadium was in Irving, Tx. The new Cowboy Stadium is in Arlington, Tx. Not many parties in Dallas, they were all in Ft. Worth.
Seats were sold for hundreds of dollars, the NFL said some of the seats were unsafe. People wouldn't be able to exit safely. They closed about 800 to 1,000 seats, news varies on the number. These people were seated in obstructed view areas and others are being offered triple the cost of their cover price ticket.
Half time show: Christine Agurilla(sp) messed up the National Anthem.
After 1/2 time, it began to rain, a section of the roof began to leak.
I'm so glad this is all over. Cowboy Stadium will probably never be selected again.

message 17: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14967 comments Lorraine - a tough week to recover from the double whammy of the weather and already challenging logistics. It was a game to the end which is what counts - Thanks for the insider updates!

Brakedrum wrote: "I am so glad it's over. We finally melted on Saturday. Crowds came out. But complaints came ......After 1/2 time, it began to rain, a section of the roof began to leak. ..."