Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

Magician: Apprentice (The Riftwar Saga, #1)
This topic is about Magician
Riftwar Saga > Magician Apprentice: General Discussion Thread (Marked Spoilers Allowed)

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Dawn (breakofdawn) February is here! And as such, I'm going to now be putting up a bunch of discussion threads for Magician: Apprentice, the first book in the Riftwar Saga.

We can do our general discussion here. Do you have a favorite character? A least favorite character? A favorite passage or event? Something that drove you nuts or that you absolutely hated? Something you were confused by? Share away!

Spoilers are welcome, but please mark them all per the directions at the bottom of this post.

To mark spoilers: Goodreads has a new option that I'm hoping we can all be diligent in using, the spoiler tag! It's an html code that will hide the spoiler so that people can browse the thread without fear and click to open the spoiler only if they are ready.

To do the tag, just surround the text that you want to hide as a spoiler with [spoiler] in front, and [/spoiler] at the end (with [] replaced by <> to make it work). (view spoiler).

If you have any questions, or if you're confused by my instructions, feel free to ask!

message 2: by Amelia (last edited Feb 04, 2011 01:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments No one's posted in this thread yet? Amazing! Maybe not enough people have finished it yet?

Anyway, I wanted to add a few comments about the book.

First off: point of view. I like how we got to see the events from all sorts of people. I'm really amazed at how many people we had viewpoints from. Sometimes the switches were vague, othertimes very obvious. It felt like a stream of consciousness approach in a way because it was almost like reading the characters thoughts and intentions, while still leaving much of the events mysterious.

I really like Arutha. Maybe he just reminds me of Arithon from Janny's books, so I took to him quickly. I like his strength of character and his determination to lead his men even in the face of death. Carline kind of annoyed me at first. She seemed like she wasn't very sure of herself but was trying still to be a princess (or at least her idea of one). (view spoiler) I think someone mentioned in one of the other thread that it was nice to see Pug and Thomas viewing the events on the periphary. I like that idea too. That really made this book more unique. I don't know what happens in the next books yet, but it will be nice to see these children grow into their roles more naturally instead of becoming the hero right away. I also really like Martin the Huntmaster. I think there's a lot more to him that I don't know yet. (view spoiler) Thomas is another interesting character. I like the friendship that the boys have with each other. (view spoiler)

I guess I'm embarking on spoiler territory, so I hope I'm doing this right.

(view spoiler)

message 3: by Julie (last edited Feb 04, 2011 02:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Julie (view spoiler)

Dawn (breakofdawn) I love reading your thoughts on the book, Amelia. I feel like I can't reply, because I actually know the answers to a lot of your theories and questions, so I have to keep my mouth shut! But it's really nice seeing the story through the eyes of a first time reader :)

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments Julie wrote: "[spoilers removed]"

(I'm glad they removed the spoilers. I hadn't tried respnding to a spoiler post and wondered what would happen.)

(view spoiler)

Now the hard part is seeing if I can wait until March before I read the next book.

message 6: by Siv (new)

Siv (minnea) Amelia wrote: "I really like Arutha. Maybe he just reminds me of Arithon from Janny's books, so I took to him quickly."

I never made that connection. Maybe because I read this book qite a long while before Janny's ... Arutha has been one of my favourite fantasy characters for a long while now ( and I hope I don't spoil anything when I say I like him even more in the coming books).

That said, I certainly like Arithon too. Perhaps because, as you said, their personalities are somewhat alike - the quiet, no-nonsense kind who are a bit inclined to brooding but nevertheless does what needs to be done.

message 7: by Jon (last edited Feb 06, 2011 11:38AM) (new) - added it

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments I finished this yesterday, but haven't written my review yet. I will say that I was a bit disappointed with the story after (view spoiler). I realize this is an artificial ending, since the original publication was one larger book, so perhaps I'm feeling that amputation for the other story lines.

Dawn (breakofdawn) Jon, could you mark the spoiler about (view spoiler) please?

Julie How is that a spoiler?

Chris  (haughtc) | 111 comments It gives away the ending of the book, for one.

message 11: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn (breakofdawn) What Chris said... That's a plot point from quite late in the book, how isn't it a spoiler?

Julie I guess I get tired of the spoiler marking thing ALL the time. Is there a time that we can talk about the book without worrying about when it is or isn't a spoiler? Sometimes you just want to let your thoughts flow and not have to over think when it is or isn't a spoiler. Not sure if this is the place to talk about it or not, but those are my thoughts. I would say that the "General Discussion Thread" is probably not a place for spoilers but why wouldn't we be able to just talk about the book in the "Finished Book and your Reviews" thread and not what is or not a spoiler.

message 13: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn (breakofdawn) I guess I don't see what's so hard about putting spoiler tags around the text, to prevent other people from being spoiler. It's two extra words, and you can let your thoughts run as freely as you want in between them. The idea of this thread is general discussion of impressions throughout the book. Often those impressions will involve spoilers, which is fine, as long as a second is spent marking it so that people who aren't as far along can still read without the story being ruined. The idea of the reviews thread is to see where everyone ended up review and rating wise.

The the advent of the new spoiler tag, I like the idea what we don't need a hundred different spoiler/non-spoiler threads, just considerate people who err with the side of caution and hide their spoilers in all threads.

message 14: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments Dawn wrote: "Jon, could you mark the spoiler about [spoilers removed] please?"

All of my comment? I really didn't think it was spoilerish, especially in this 'general' topic.

message 15: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments Dawn wrote: "Jon, could you mark the spoiler about [spoilers removed] please?"

I hid the one plot point I meant to hide the first time I wrote my comment. Sorry about that.

message 16: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn (breakofdawn) No not the entire comment, just the little point I mentioned. Looks perfect now, thanks! :)

Chris  (haughtc) | 111 comments Here's a little food for thought about discussions in general. I'm in other groups, and one of them in particular is horrible about spoilers. Entire threads spoil entire books, and not just the books the threads are about. People in there refuse to mark spoilers. So what happens is, if the thread is over a book that I haven't read/finished, I completely avoid the thread altogether. I don't comment, I don't read. I don't participate.

If several potential discussion members do that, you get an end result of dead air....

Chris  (haughtc) | 111 comments I've deleted friends for that, Nicki...or at least, removed them from top friends. I've had some that were serial spoilers....

message 19: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn (breakofdawn) I've been spoiled that way too as well! No fun. That's why I just go with better safe than sorry, even in a "spoiler" thread. What if there was someone new to GR who didn't get the concept and came exploring? Or someone like me who assumes spoilers are allowed in spoiler threads but will still be marked? Better to be safe about it.

message 20: by John (new) - rated it 3 stars

John Beachem | 9 comments Okay, I read this ages ago, but let me see if I can remember it well enough to join in the discussion. I remember the first chapter took me about three months to read, because it bored me to tears. Every word was a nightmare. The rest of the book took me about three days. It was like a broke through a wall after that first chapter and suddenly found myself enjoying it.

message 21: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn (breakofdawn) That's funny, the first chapter was the thing that hooked me! Strange how something so small as 10 or 20 pages can have such diverse effects on different people :)

Chris  (haughtc) | 111 comments This was my third reading, and I found myself bored this time around for about the first half of the book. But then it seemed to take off. I thought I was going to drop it to 3 stars, but by the end I felt that my original rating of 4 was still good.

Julie I guess to solve this issue I'll just put everything I write in a spoiler.....

message 24: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn (breakofdawn) I really don't think you need to go that far, I'm only asking that once your done writing a post you look back at it for a second and consider whether or not anything in it gives away major plot point and mark it if it does... But do whatever you need to do I guess. I didn't realize it was asking too much :\

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments It was with great reluctance that I closed the book last night at page 445 and went to bed.

(view spoiler)

Hopefully I will have time to finish it today at work.

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Oh, to speak to the spoiler controversy, if you uncheck the box 'Add to my Update feed' then spoilers don't show up in the feed. This would help in threads where spoilers are ok, and everyone's read the book.

message 27: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn (breakofdawn) Hah, I so wish I could comment! Having read on though, I'm in no position to speculate with you :)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Dawn wrote: "Hah, I so wish I could comment! Having read on though, I'm in no position to speculate with you :)"

Well the book is so much fun that I'm hoping for happy outcomes!

message 29: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "Hopefully I will have time to finish it today at work."

@Sandra's spoiler: (view spoiler)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Jon wrote: "Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "Hopefully I will have time to finish it today at work."

@Sandra's spoiler: [spoilers removed]"

Well, I'm a romantic at heart. I must say that Pug's approach to that affair is remarkably mature so far.

message 31: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "Jon wrote: "Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "Hopefully I will have time to finish it today at work."

Well, I'm a romantic at heart. I must say that Pug's approach t..."

Agreed on Pug's approach. I'm unfortunately not much a romantic. :)

message 32: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "Oh, to speak to the spoiler controversy, if you uncheck the box 'Add to my Update feed' then spoilers don't show up in the feed. This would help in threads where spoilers are ok, and everyone's re..."

I've unfriended people because they didn't do that. Now that we have the spoiler tags, there is no excuse for anyone to post spoilers any where.

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments Jon wrote: "Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "Jon wrote: "Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "Hopefully I will have time to finish it today at work."

Well, I'm a romantic at heart. I must s..."

I agree that Pug was really quite sensible about Carline,(view spoiler)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Amelia wrote: "Jon wrote: "Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "Jon wrote: "Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "Hopefully I will have time to finish it today at work."

Well, I'm a romantic at ..."

Well I finished! And Amelia I'd forgotten all about the other one!

That's all I'll say for now but I'll have to jump into the next one before March!

message 35: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill (kernos) | 59 comments Jim wrote: "...I've unfriended people because they didn't do that. Now that we have the spoiler tags, there is no excuse for anyone to post spoilers any where..."

One of my problems is that I don't always know something is a spoiler. This is esp true of long series I have read in the past and one forgets what happened to whom in which book. The simple solution is when in doubt use the tag. The hard part is knowing when to be in doubt.

message 36: by Mary-Ann (new) - added it

Mary-Ann (arcticsilence) Okay not sure where else my thoughts go so I thought I'd put them here. I have finally had a chance to read some more (One Bonus point for a winter blizzard). I have just finished chapter 5 and am loving it now. The story for me has gotten more engaging and I am growing more and more curious. I have all sorts of questions and theories so far. I'm sure some of those will be answered as I read on.

General Thoughts on the Thomas/Pug friendship.

(view spoiler)

Thoughts on Magic and Pug:

(view spoiler)

Right now I am curious about everything, the characters, the magic, the world. I can see how it wouldn't be quite as enthralling at this point to those of you that are doing rereads especially if you remember the answers to all the questions right now what is driving me is absolute curiosity to find out why, and what, and how everything is happening. :)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Mary-Ann wrote: "Okay not sure where else my thoughts go so I thought I'd put them here. I have finally had a chance to read some more (One Bonus point for a winter blizzard). I have just finished chapter 5 and am ..."

Me, too, Mary Ann. I have finished the first book and am attempting to read something else, and today found myself thinking about Pug, Tomas and all and wondering what they're doing next!