We LoveFilm discussion

The Lounge > New Year...New You

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments What would be one thing that you would love to do this year for yourself?

For me, I would love to go someplace new to travel. I'm kind of mad at myself b/c I let an opportunity to go to South Africa slip through my fingers. I just was all over the place, but I think I would love to go somewhere this year.

Or...maybe meet new people. I'm normally reserved so I think opening myself up that way would be an experience.

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore I was taking krav maga classes a few years ago, and I'd like to get back into something like that. Not only is it good exercise which I desperately need to start getting, but its wonderful for relieving stress.

message 3: by Davina, The Modster (new)

Davina D. | 693 comments Mod
I stopped making New Years resolutions since my late twenties because I never keep them and by year end I just feel like a colossal failure. I just want to be able to keep my balance and be happy in whatever I'm doing.

message 4: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Not a New Year resolution. I don't make those. Just something that you would like to do for yourself Davina. Know what I mean.

message 5: by Davina, The Modster (new)

Okay I hope to write 100 pages of a screenplay from April 1-30 for the 2011 Screnzy, and I hope complete the 2nd book in a 3 part series I've been working on for 2 years for the 2011 NaNoWri in Novemeber. How about that?

message 6: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Good job! Now you get it :) Let me stop teasing you. What is the Screnzy? I was suppose to do NaNo in 2010 but life got in the way :(

message 7: by Davina, The Modster (new)

LOL, still feels like a new year res for me, Sam, but okay. Your thread your rules. ;)

The Screnzy has the same concept as the NaNo, except you write a screenplay within a month instead of a novel. Life always gets in the way. That's why I don't like to plan things ahead too much. I've found that I tend to get what I want when I least expect it. When I plan and resolve to do stuff, it almost never works out for me. But when I just go with the flow and leave things to fate everything turns out the way I want it. It's weird, but I swear its true. Anyone else experience that it's like this for them too?

message 8: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Haha! Granted that's how I worded it but all I wanted was to know what people wanted to do for themselves. To honor themselves. It really has nothing to do with this year or whenever. Lol.

Wow. I wonder how much different is it to write a screenplay than a novel.

To answer your question, yes and no. I'm a planner. Yep! I am! I live by my work day planner and my personal one. Ha! I have two I carry around. I write up goals for myself yearly and try to get them. I revamp my 5 year goals and try to tackle them and I move in steps. I'm a thinker. I think things to death and figure out what needs to be done to achieve any goals that I set in place. However life gets in the way and I try to work around it. Some goals that I have I really can't plan, I have to wing it. Those are the things that I become stressed out about.

message 9: by Davina, The Modster (last edited Feb 05, 2011 12:45AM) (new)

I have two day planners too, Samantha! Luckily I'm fortunate to have an assistant who manages the professional one, but the personal one is all on me!!!

A lot of the times things don't work out for me is my own fault, but even with the things I can't control if I wish for it and try to work toward it I never get it. But once I've despaired, given up or forgotten about it that's when I get it! Maybe I'm just bad luckied like that.

message 10: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Haha! You must be lucky b/c I feel like I have to work hard for everything. That's why I think everything out. Plus I write out all the bad scenarios to my situations and how to handle them so I don't panic and work it out. I know it sounds like I'm anal and is always stressed but I'm not. I just like to be focused.

Ha! An assistant to handle my professional one. I keep my with me on my desk. No touching! I send her emails to let her know when I'll be out, what meetings I'm attending, etc. I see her desk and its scary. Very scary. I'm scared my planner would get lost there. LOL!

message 11: by Davina, The Modster (new)

I don't know if I'd call it luck. Sometimes this process really puts me through the wringer and leaves me emotionally and physically exhausted. Because I fight and fight to get what I want, then I don't get it. I then pull myself together, forgot about it and viola ... I suddenly have it. Ridiculous. It's not that I don't like to plan, I do. But when I plan too much its like fate's telling me "You arrogant b!tch, you're not in control here, I am!" and proceed to screw everything up for me.

When I think of something and say to myself 'this is what I want' and subtlely make choices that leads me to it, I'll get it. But any stated or written plan, it feels like everything in the universe works against me getting it.

You're far more methodical than me in this sense. I sincerely wish I had someone to attend to my personal affairs as well!