Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Melodie's January 2011 Reads

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melodie (last edited Jan 31, 2011 08:24PM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3641 comments Good start to the New Year with 4 really excellent books and only 2 real stinkers!

Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King: you can never really go wrong with King! I often wonder what must go on in his mind when he's writing this stuff! Grade: 8.5

Lemon Tart (Culinary Mystery, #1) by Josi S. Kilpack Lemon Tart by Josi Kilpack: 1st in Sadie Hoffmiller series and just barely okay. Sadie was terribly annoying and got away with things that NO ONE would get away with during a murder investigation. Some good sounding recipes, tho! Won't bother with more in the series. Grade: 4.5

Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins: 2nd in The Hunger Games trilogy. While it was definitely a great read, it didn't live up to THE HUNGER GAMES, IMHO. Hard to say much about this book without spoilers for those who haven't read the books, but want to. Grade: 9

My Soul to Save (Soul Screamers, #2) by Rachel Vincent My Soul to Save by Rachel Vincent: 2nd in her Soul Screamers series and no where near the quality of story as the first. I've got the other 2 in the series, so will read them, but wont be in a hurry. Grade: 4.5

Seduction in Death (In Death, #13) by J.D. Robb Seduction in Death by J.D. Robb: 13th in In Death Series, and another okay read. These begin to run together after awhile and I read 3 of them this month! Grade: 7

Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2) by Kami Garcia Beautiful Darkness by Kami Garcia: 2nd in Caster Chronicles series, and a bit of a disappointment after BEAUTIFUL CREATURES, which was one of top reads last year. This seemed to rehash a lot of what was in the first book and the ending left you pretty much in the same place you were in after the first. Grade: 7

I'm a Fool to Kill You by Robert J. Randisi I'm a Fool to Kill You by Robert J. Randisi: 5th in Rat Pack series and would have been a much better read if the editing hadn't been so atrocious. I think this is par for the course with this publishing house, as I read another they published a few years ago and it was terrible, too. In this one Eddie is approached by Sinatra to keep an eye on Ava Gardner and see if he can find out what happened during a blackout she had where she was covered in blood when she woke up. Grade: 8

If Walls Could Talk (A Haunted Home Repair Mystery, #1) by Juliet Blackwell If Walls Could Talk by Juliet Blackwell: 1st in new Haunted Home Repair series. Mel Turner runs a home restoration business with her father in the Bay area and is visited by the ghost of a man who met a bad end with power tools in a house she's agreed to work on for a friend. Good characters and a good story about shady real estate deals. Grade: 8.5

A Killer Crop (Orchard Mystery, #4) by Sheila Connolly A Killer Crop by Sheila Connolly: 4th in Orchard mystery series and I had decided not to read any more since I hadn't cared for any of them, but the cover was so pretty on this one I couldn't resist. Got a pleasant surprise as it was actually pretty good. Meg's mom shows up unannounced on her doorstep and the cops show up a short time later asking questions about a dead man. Meg's mom's cell number was the last called from the dead man's phone. This one involves a little literary history. I might read the next one now! Grade: 8

The Sentry (Joe Pike) by Robert Crais The Sentry by Robert Crais: I'll just echo everyone else's sentiments about this book....one fantastic read!! Grade: 9.75

Buttercream Bump Off (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #2) by Jenn McKinlay Buttercream Bump Off by Jenn McKinlay: 2nd in Cupcake Shop series and another great read for me. Completely different kind of book than THE SENTRY, but every bit as good to me. Mel's mom hasn't been on a date in years and when she finally does go on one the man ends up dead in his swimming pool. I knew "whodunit" pretty much right away, but it didn't detract from the characters figuring it out. Grade: 9.5

Reunion in Death (In Death, #14) by J.D. Robb Reunion in Death by J.D. Robb: 14th in In Death series and one of the better ones. A bad gal Dallas put away before is out on good behavior. Not good. Grade: 8.5

Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins: conclusion to The Hunger Games trilogy and a stellar read. Intensely dark and pretty much how a situation like this would be, I think. This one will stick with me awhile, for sure. Grade: 10

Buffalo West Wing (White House Chef Mystery #4) by Julie Hyzy Buffalo West Wing by Julie Hyzy: 4th in White House chef series and a very good read. The story starts with a batch of very popular chicken wings showing up in the White House kitchen on Inauguration Day. There's a note that says they're for the President's kids. But when Ollie can't find out who delivered them she refuses to serve them. One of the kitchen assistants gives them to the White House laundry crew without telling Ollie and they turn out to be poisoned. Grade: 8.5

The Lost Saint (The Dark Divine, #2) by Bree Despain The Lost Saint by Bree DeSpain: 2nd in the Dark Divine series. I've been recently disappointed in several 2nd in series books in some of the YA UF series I've read, but this one was an exception. Every bit as good as the first one and now I'm really looking forward to the 3rd! Grade: 9.5

Purity in Death (In Death, #15) by J.D. Robb Purity in Death by J.D. Robb: 15th in In Death series and really so-so. Computer viruses that infect people's brains. Though the way things are going, it wouldn't surprise me to see this happen down the road! Grade: 5.5

message 2: by Ann (last edited Jan 31, 2011 11:43PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14959 comments Good month Melodie! I have Beautiful Darkness in my library tbr, sorry to hear it didn't move the story forward.
Melodie wrote: "...by Kami Garcia: 2nd in Caster Chronicles series, and a bit of a disappointment after BEAUTIFUL CREATURES, which was one of top reads last year. This seemed to rehash a lot of what was in the first book and the ending left you pretty much in the same place you were in after the first. Grade: 7 "

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1653 comments You had a really good month Melodie! I see a few I've read, and a few I really want to read.

message 4: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1228 comments Too bad about the editing in I'm a Fool to Kill You. I will have to give those White House Chef mysteries a try.