Red Dress Ink Fans discussion

eReaders

Comments Showing 1-50 of 836 (836 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 17

message 1: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacymarie913) | 5567 comments Mod
So, I used to have a Kindle but I sold it because I was hard up for $$ to pay some medical bills. Plus, I didn't have the $$ to buy books for it. But I loved it. I thought it was the coolest thing EVER! I was so hoping that they would make it so you could download ebooks from the library or borrow them from other people.

And along comes the Nook from Barnes & Noble and at first I thought I was going to be a die hard Kindle fan. But then Tara got the Nook and I found out you could get ebooks from the library and borrow from others and the pedestal I had Kindle sitting on started crumbling slowly. I started thinking that one day, when I did buy another eReader, I'd really have to consider the Nook.

Well, I saw a commercial a few days ago for the NookColor and it got me thinking. And I remembered that it's tax return time. And I remembered that they sell it at Best Buy. And I remembered that I have a Best Buy card. And I remembered that my boyfriend and I are going to Jamaica in March and it would be so annoying to have to pack a bunch of books.

So I got on bestbuy.com to see how much it was. And I was like, "What the hell, why not?" So I ordered it. And I was able to get a case/cover for free. It's got a really cool quote on the front that of course I can't remember right now. It looks like it's lime green...not my first choice, but much better than basic black.

The sad part is, even though I opted for in store pick up, it's on backorder and the estimated arrival date is February 21st. This is beyond frustrating for me because I am all about instant gratification. I don't wanna wait!!!

So what type of eReader do you have?

message 2: by Kourtney (new)

Kourtney (familywithbooks) | 1215 comments I still love my Kindle silly lady :) You can now borrow from other Kindle users for up to 2 weeks! I don't know about the library thing though because I have my own library I have to read first...

message 3: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicole21) | 573 comments I know some people who are quite enthusiastic about their eReaders, but I don't think that's for me. I've tried to read books on my iPod (and yes, I know I can't completely judge eBooks based on that experience), but I just don't like it. I discovered that I frequently flip back while reading (I didn't know how much I did this until I tried an eBook), so I find it too difficult to get back and forth when I don't have pages to stick my fingers on. I can't do audiobooks either.

message 4: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) I didn't think I would ever like an e-reader, but I got a Nook as an early Christmas present, and I absolutely love it. I'm glad I went with Nook over Kindle (sorry, Kourtney!) because I honestly have gotten so many library books on it that it's already well on its way to paying for itself. I also love the Read for Free feature -- you can go into any B&N store and read books for free for one hour. I haven't made as much use of that one because I never get to go into B&N without my kids for that long, but if you went enough, you could read an entire book for free.

Nicole, I thought I'd dislike an e-reader for the reasons you are saying - I like to flip back and forth, too. But it is MUCH easier to do that on the actual e-reader than it is on the iPod. I also like the look up words feature. I frequently look up new words while I'm reading, so with the Nook I can just tap a few buttons and it will give me the definition without me having to scramble for my iPhone.

I still love real books, but I love the convenience of the Nook, and the fact that I can carry a bunch of books around at once...it's so much easier to stick in my bag than a heavy book. I'm hooked!

message 5: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joelizrado) | 95 comments I am in Cleveland and our libraries have this cool feature called "overdrive media" it is an app I downloaded on my iphone (it is also available for PC, blackberry and driod)where you can "rent" audio and ebooks from your local library. Check it out and see if your libraries do it, it seems like a common thing. They are trying to get with the times!

message 6: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joelizrado) | 95 comments Here is the link: http://www.overdrive.com/

message 7: by Stacy (new)

Kourtney wrote: "I still love my Kindle silly lady :) You can now borrow from other Kindle users for up to 2 weeks! I don't know about the library thing though because I have my own library I have to read first..."

Figures.

message 8: by Stacy (new)

Nicole wrote: "I know some people who are quite enthusiastic about their eReaders, but I don't think that's for me. I've tried to read books on my iPod (and yes, I know I can't completely judge eBooks based on t..."

That's interesting. Why are you flipping back in the book? I don't think I've ever done that. If the cover has a person on it, lots of times I will glance at it to refresh my memory of what the character looks like.

message 9: by Stacy (new)

Jen B wrote: "I didn't think I would ever like an e-reader, but I got a Nook as an early Christmas present, and I absolutely love it. I'm glad I went with Nook over Kindle (sorry, Kourtney!) because I honestly h..."

Jen, I didn't know about the read for free feature! I love you for telling me about it!!!!

message 10: by Stacy (new)

Joanne wrote: "I am in Cleveland and our libraries have this cool feature called "overdrive media" it is an app I downloaded on my iphone (it is also available for PC, blackberry and driod)where you can "rent" au..."

Thanks for the link Joanne! My library has that too and I can't wait to use it for my Nook!

message 11: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) Overdrive is what my library uses as well. I love the fact that I can get so many books for free, and that they seem to be adding to it weekly.

B&N also gives away a fair amount of free ebooks. There's a Free Fridays book every week (if you become a fan of Nook on Facebook, they'll post it to their status every week), which is usually hit or miss, but some of them have been good ones.

message 12: by Stacy (new)

*adopts a sing-song voice* AWE-SOME!!!

message 13: by Ashley (new)

Ashley There's also a Free Kindle Book page on Facebook where I've gotten a few good books from.

message 14: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cgraceh) | 422 comments I have Pandigital Novel and I do love it...cause i can download from the Barnes & Noble library but I can also read pdf and epub formnatted ebooks...but the biggest thing for me (besides the B&N lending library -love it!!) was that I can also FINALLY download all the ebooks that are in Adobe Digital Edition books from Overdrive on my library websites. They have so many of the old RDI books..I can't wait to read them ALL!! Haha....tho that may take a while.

...but it's my dream is to have a NookColor...I "test it out" everytime I'm at BestBuy or WalMart...good for you for giving your self a tax treat! You deserve it...I hope you get it in time for your vaycay:) Enjoy

message 15: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cgraceh) | 422 comments Joanne wrote: "Here is the link: http://www.overdrive.com/"

This is the best!! I get my local library's overdrive as well as the state's capital library (Boston)...so check out what else might be available to you...maybe more than just the library in your town!

This is where I get most of my audio books and now ebooks!!

message 16: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cgraceh) | 422 comments Check out kobobooks.com periodically...they have a list of Free ebooks that changes from time to time and I've seen some great chick lit books on there, but usually they are only offered for a short time and then...poof...back to regular prices!

Recently I saw the newest Mary Janice Davidson book and forgot to download it for free...it's back to 6.99:( And I got Miranda Dicinson's Fairy Tale of New York free....it's prob my fave ebook resource...

message 17: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicole21) | 573 comments Stacy wrote: "That's interesting. Why are you flipping back in the book? I don't think I've ever done that. If the cover has a person on it, lots of times I will glance at it to refresh my memory of what the character looks like."

I flip back because: something strikes me as not working with the plot; I think I notice some clue and want to check on something that previously happened to try to put it together on my own; the book has 8,000 indistinguishable characters; etc. I flip back a lot. I read fast and frequently in distracting places, so I sometimes miss bits that I later find might have been important.

message 18: by Stacy (new)

Cathy wrote: "I have Pandigital Novel and I do love it...cause i can download from the Barnes & Noble library but I can also read pdf and epub formnatted ebooks...but the biggest thing for me (besides the B&N le..."

Thanks Cathy! I'll have plenty of time to figure it all out before the vacation, we're not going until March sometime. :)

message 19: by Stacy (new)

Cathy wrote: "Check out kobobooks.com periodically...they have a list of Free ebooks that changes from time to time and I've seen some great chick lit books on there, but usually they are only offered for a shor..."

I'll check that one out too Cathy, thanks!

message 20: by Stacy (new)

Nicole wrote: "Stacy wrote: "That's interesting. Why are you flipping back in the book? I don't think I've ever done that. If the cover has a person on it, lots of times I will glance at it to refresh my memory o..."

Yeah, I can see how you would need to do that.

message 21: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) | 819 comments I have a Kindle and I LOVE it. I have gotten a lot of books for free from Amazon or have gotten some discounted. The free books on Amazon are sometimes ones I would never normally pick for myself, but because they are free I download them and give them a shot.

message 22: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicole21) | 573 comments This isn't really about eReaders, but you could use it to buy books for your Nook! Groupon has a BN deal right now: $10 for $20. It's listed under Chicago.

message 23: by Stacy (new)

Nicole wrote: "This isn't really about eReaders, but you could use it to buy books for your Nook! Groupon has a BN deal right now: $10 for $20. It's listed under Chicago."

Great Nicole! Thanks!

message 24: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 767 comments I have a Nook and I love it! I don't use it nearly as often as I'd like, since I still get a ton of books from the library. I also can't afford to buy books for it constantly. I don't think my library offers anything so I can't get any free. Two of my friends have Nooks and we've talked about lending books to each other but haven't tried it yet.

message 25: by Stacy (new)

Suzanne wrote: "I have a Nook and I love it! I don't use it nearly as often as I'd like, since I still get a ton of books from the library. I also can't afford to buy books for it constantly. I don't think my libr..."

Tara has one too, I'm sure I'll be borrowing from her and she from me at some point in time. I just wish mine would come in already!
I know, I'm impatient.

message 26: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 767 comments Stacy wrote: "Suzanne wrote: "I have a Nook and I love it! I don't use it nearly as often as I'd like, since I still get a ton of books from the library. I also can't afford to buy books for it constantly. I don..."

Oh I am sure I would be impatient too! Maybe we can lend each other books some time. I don't have too many yet, but I am hoping to build up my collection.

message 27: by Stacy (new)

I'd love to! :)
I went on to the Groupon website and bought the $10 for $20 coupon earlier today so I'll be able to get some books. Yay!!!

message 28: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cgraceh) | 422 comments Stacy wrote: "I'd love to! :)
I went on to the Groupon website and bought the $10 for $20 coupon earlier today so I'll be able to get some books. Yay!!!"

I'm heading over ther now too! What a great link:) Yay...ebooks!

message 29: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) Just so you guys with Nook e-readers know, Borders ebooks actually work on the Nook, too. This isn't really something they advertise, obviously, but it's nice to have another source to get them from! I had some Borders Bucks back around Christmas, and I was able to use them to get two e-books from Borders, which I've been able to read just fine on my Nook. And, if you're a Borders member, you get your discount on ebooks as well...BN doesn't do that with theirs.

message 30: by Stacy (new)

Jen B wrote: "Just so you guys with Nook e-readers know, Borders ebooks actually work on the Nook, too. This isn't really something they advertise, obviously, but it's nice to have another source to get them fro..."

Awesome! Thanks Jen!

message 31: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (kc0217) | 335 comments I have a Kindle & I am in love.

message 32: by Stacy (new)

Kristine wrote: "I have a Kindle & I am in love."

I did really like mine....

message 33: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) | 819 comments Kristine wrote: "I have a Kindle & I am in love."

Have you tried the book lending feature yet?

message 34: by Stacy (new)

So with the book lending features on these eReaders, can Nooks borrow from Kindles yet?

message 35: by Stacy (new)

And by the way - I'm still (im)patiently waiting for mine. Though I did get the cover! :)

message 36: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) I don't think Nooks can borrow from Kindles. My understanding of Kindle is that Kindle Books can only be read on a Kindle, so they probably won't work on a Nook. I may be wrong about that, but I think that's one of the main differences.

I have a couple of books that I've purchased that are LendMe books, but I believe you can only lend each book out once to one person. Once I'm done with them, though, I'm happy to lend any or all of them:

There's Cake in My Future
Sworn to Silence
Hidden Wives

message 37: by Stacy (new)

That sucks, you can only lend once??

message 38: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cgraceh) | 422 comments Stacy wrote: "That sucks, you can only lend once??"

I thought you could lend multiple times - you just can only lend one at a time...but once it's returned you can lend again - and even though you can't lend Nook to Kindle - the Nook application is downloadable on other application-friendly devices, like any of the android phones or iPhones; don't know about Blackberry (since i gave mine up)

message 39: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (kc0217) | 335 comments Alicia wrote: "Kristine wrote: "I have a Kindle & I am in love."

Have you tried the book lending feature yet?"

Not yet

message 40: by Stacy (new)

Cathy wrote: "Stacy wrote: "That sucks, you can only lend once??"

I thought you could lend multiple times - you just can only lend one at a time...but once it's returned you can lend again - and even though y..."

Oh, ok! Thanks Cathy!!

message 41: by Suzanne (last edited Feb 10, 2011 09:32AM) (new)

Suzanne | 767 comments I also thought you could only lend books once on a Nook. Here is what the website says: All lendable titles can be lent once for 14 days. Once a lending offer is submitted, it cannot be retracted.

I was pretty disappointed to find out that not all books have that LendMe option. I haven't tried lending anything yet though. Someone should try it and let us know!

message 42: by Stacy (new)

I GOT IT! I GOT IT! I GOT IT! I GOT IT!
I'm so excited!!! I got an email from Best Buy saying it was in and I took my lunch, like 5 minutes later and dashed off to pick it up. It is now sitting next to me on my desk charging! :)
I have to wait til I get home to hook it up to my wi-fi though. :(

message 43: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 767 comments Yay! So excited you got it! Please let us know what you think of it when you start using it! :)

message 44: by Stacy (new)

Will do!!! So far, I think it's pretty stinkin' cool. :) I'll let you know more once I can get past the wi-fi set up.

message 45: by Kourtney (new)

Kourtney (familywithbooks) | 1215 comments How do you ladies choose which books to buy on your Kindle vs physical book?

For me I will only buy books that I know I am guaranteed to love and will want to keep forever (unless it's a freebie!) or that I feel strong enough that I will love it in order for me to buy it on my Kindle. The ones I am so-so about I buy physical copies. Then if it is a part of a series, I have to have them all uniform (if one is paperback, they ALL have to be paperback etc etc).

How about you all?

message 46: by Stacy (new)

Kourtney wrote: "How do you ladies choose which books to buy on your Kindle vs physical book?

For me I will only buy books that I know I am guaranteed to love and will want to keep forever (unless it's a freebie..."

You sound like me Kourtney with the uniform stuff, lol.
By the way, I'm typing this on my new Nook while I listen to Pandora radio on itzt the same time!!!!!!!! Totally loving it!!!!!!!!!!

message 47: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 767 comments I try to only buy books that I can't get at the library or can't wait for at the library (if the list is too long).

I'm trying to stop buying books because I move every year and they are a pain to pack up! I did make an exception for the book Anna and the French Kiss because I knew I would love it & the cover is adorable.

message 48: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) I'm still working on the BN giftcard that my husband gave me with the Nook, so I haven't bought a ton of Nookbooks. They are either ones that I can't get in any form at the library (not only is it not on Overdrive, but they don't have it in actual book/audio format either) or ones that are very discounted (or free). I bought one the other day that is the first book in a series I want to read and it is on sale for 99 cents right now. I can't buy the real book for that price, so it was worth it.

Glad you like your Nook, Stacy! I thought about getting the color one, but since our laptop is about to die, I thought it might end up as a replacement for that, which I didn't want. My husband is a laptop hog -- the Nook is MINE! :)

message 49: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joelizrado) | 95 comments I only buy books for my kindle that:
a. are not from an author I love and want the physical copy
b. can't find on a book trade site
c. can't find reasonably priced new on half.com
d. can't find a convertable version at the library.
e. or i want to read while traveling

There are a lot of free books on amazon.com, keep your eye out for them, most all of the classics are 99cents or free

message 50: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cgraceh) | 422 comments Suzanne wrote: "I also thought you could only lend books once on a Nook. Here is what the website says: All lendable titles can be lent once for 14 days. Once a lending offer is submitted, it cannot be retracted. ..."

Ditto - I've only bought one Nook book (trying to save my B&N gift cards for when I absolutely can't get it at the library or elsewhere!) and the one I got wasn't lendable:( What a bummer...such a good book I really want to share it too!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 17