Irish Lit & Times discussion

Dublin

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kay (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:40PM) (new)

Kay I'm spending two days and one night there next month in the company of my teenage son who wants to visit the Phil Lynott statue!

I've been there twice before (once a residency) and have read quite a lot of 'classic' Dublin based literature, (ie The Dubliners which depressed the hell out of me!) but has anybody got any recommendations for more recent Dublin based books that would get me in the mood to salute the Liffey?

message 2: by Michael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:40PM) (new)

Michael (michael_harmon) | 13 comments Mod
Absolutely.

Edward Rutherfurd (yes, with a 'u') has written one with the title being the name of city you will visit. Although, I am not sure how easy it will be to get here in the States.

Frank Delaney also has a book entitled 'Ireland: A Novel,' but I am not sure how relevant that will be. I will keep thinking. :)

message 3: by Kay (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:41PM) (new)

Kay I'm in England, so that should be fine! Ta muchly ...

message 4: by Suzanne (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:45PM) (new)

Suzanne Sheumaker | 1 comments Kay -

Edward Rutherfurd actually has a couple of historical novels with a Dublin setting. His most recent is "The Rebels of Ireland: The Dublin Saga," released in February. I've not read it myself but understand it is quite good. Before that was "The Princes of Ireland: The Dublin Saga" (also called "Dublin").

Have you read much of Oscar Wilde? While he isn't a modern writer, his creativity and biting wit still resonate. (Even if you have read him, a re-read might be enjoyable.) More uplifting than James Joyce, he was primarily a poet, playwright and short story teller. His one novel, "The Picture of Dorian Gray," continues to be highly, highly popular. (I wouldn't call it light reading, though.) Perhaps you've seen the remarkable statue of Wilde stretched out on a rock in Dublin's Merrion Square (Archbishop Ryan Park). If not, you should.

If you have time, you also might want to visit the Dublin Writers Museum at 18 Parnell Square.

message 5: by Kay (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:46PM) (new)

Kay Yeah, I went to the Writers' Museum last time I was there; it's very small, very crowded and rather wonderful! I haven't seen the Wilde statue though, and as this is a statue-touching pilgrimage for my son, perhaps I should have a statue of my own to visit.

Rutherfurd is sounding interesting - I haven't read any of his work at all. I'm very fond of Wilde, although very little of his work is Dublin based and I've just remembered the wonderful novel 'The Giant O'Brien' by Hilary Mantel which is actually set in London but is full of the longing for Ireland. It's so short I think I might take that one with me to read on the plane ...

message 6: by Popel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:56PM) (new)

Popel | 2 comments Strumpet City is an excellent book, tracing through Dublin at the time of the labour strikes in the 1920s. A film-version was also made of this book in the 80s, which is also excellent, but would probably be difficult to source.

message 7: by Kay (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:57PM) (new)

Kay It's on my list! Thank you, Popel.

message 8: by Kay (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

Kay Was wonderful - I'm going to try and post my pictures on flickr in case anybody wants to see the James Joyce and Oscar Wilde statues etc. More anon.

message 9: by Peter (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:01PM) (new)

Peter | 8 comments You have to read Roddy Doyle and J.P. Donleavey.

message 10: by David (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:02PM) (new)

David (david_giltinan) | 6 comments Strumpet City is a wonderful book. I second the Roddy Doyle recommendation, though I think that J.P. Donleavey is an acquired taste.

message 11: by Peter (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:02PM) (new)

Peter | 8 comments Oh, Donleavey is DEFINITELY an acquired taste!!! To be sure! But, by all means, give him a try. You never know until you try.