Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Before I Fall
This topic is about Before I Fall
Before I Fall Discussions > Initial reactions (no spoilers please!)

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Chloe (chloebooklover) What were your initial reactions/first thoughts about Before I Fall? Did you have good feelings or bad feelings reading the first pages?

message 2: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
I like this book so far. I like how Sam is explaining her life and really making me feel as the reader that I am involved. Right now she seems so full of herself... she has to be the most popular and who cares about everyone else.

message 3: by Shelby (new) - added it

Shelby (cinephiledreams) 18 pages in. I love the author's voice and imagery. Sam and her friends seem like typical girls, despite the fact that they obviously have the wrong ideas about sex, but what Sam has said so far about herself and what popularity means to her kind of makes my skin crawl. I'm an impatient reader, so I paged ahead to see how long I have to wait for the next chapter (and hopefully an epiphany). I'm sixty-four pages away. I'm just hoping that the voice and imagery sustain me until then...

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) I liked it more & more as I went on. I had a hard time liking characters at first, and hence the book. But I liked Sam's voice and the writing style from the beginning.

Kellyflower | 28 comments It took me a little while to get into this story, but once I did, I had to read it all the way to the end. I'm not sure if this book is for everyone, why? Because the main character is part of the "mean girls" at school. and it's hard to read about how they have treated other students. BUT the book was well written, I'm just not sure how I feel about it. I can feel what the main character is feeling, I just lack pity for her friends and I wasn't really happy with the ending

Chloe (chloebooklover) Kellyflower, yeah, it was hard that Sam was so mean. But I think she really changed throughout the story.

Tara Like Lisa, I liked it more and more as she relived the days.

Adriana (msbibliotecaria) | 29 comments When I first saw the book and how long it was I couldn't really see how all of those pages were needed, but once I got into the story I understood that we really needed to go through each day with Sam. There were definitely moments in the beginning where I just wanted to slap her, she was such a mean girl and I knew that she knew that she was better than that.

message 9: by Vanessa (last edited Feb 03, 2011 12:20AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vanessa (ayeestrella) | 14 comments To be honest, I had to make myself pick up the book several times to start reading it. I usually don't like books that are in anyway depressing/sad without the happy ending.I mean real life suck sometimes as it is and when I pick up a book I want to read about something interesting yet with a good happy ending. Therefore I had a hard time reading the novel at first but after I made myself stick to it for a few chapters I began to slowly enjoy it and by the end I really liked the novel. The ending took me by surprise -I was so upset lol

message 10: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

One thing I have noticed is that these girls listen to a lot of 90's music!

message 11: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Please edit your posts and mark any spoilers in this thread since it is an initial reactions thread. Thanks!

Courtney (cklueh) I'm 80 pages in, and I don't like it. I don't like Sam or her friends. When does it start to get better? The prologue was so promising, but this is just boring, typical, teenage drama.

message 13: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Does anyone else think it's funny that we picked this book around groundhog's day. Like the movie where he keeps living the same moment over and over? That is how I am feeling in this book so far.

Vanessa (ayeestrella) | 14 comments I was definitely thinking about that movie when I was reading the novel lol!

Courtney (cklueh) The author even poked fun at herself about Groundhog's Day. Sam said she felt like she was in that movie.

I'm a little further into the book and still not loving it.

message 16: by Nicole (last edited Feb 03, 2011 07:17PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Nicole (seymourfedme) | 3 comments Angie wrote: "Does anyone else think it's funny that we picked this book around groundhog's day. Like the movie where he keeps living the same moment over and over? That is how I am feeling in this book so far."

Yeah, that was my thought. I kept thinking of Bill Murray! Next thing I know, a few pages further and Groundhog's Day is used as a comparison! I am starting to think that I would rather be watching that movie than reading this book.

Teresa (teresainohio) Sadly. There. Are. Girls. In. High. School. Who. Are. Just. Like. Sam. And. Her. Clique. Who. Think. They. Are. The. Cream. Of. The. Crop. Sam. Appears. To. Be. The. One. Who. Got sucked. In. And. Wants. Out. But. Can't. Quite. Leave.Lindsay. is. The. Queen. Bee. Who. Everyone. Hates. But. Noone. Will put. Her. In. Her. Place. I. Really. Don't. Have. Much. Of. Opinion. On. The. Pther. Two. Yet .

Audiaa | 7 comments I also liked the potential of the prologue, but story doesn't seem to live up to it. When she restarted the day I just groaned a little. The girls seem pretty typical for YA fiction and I don't find them likable. I don't care about them (yet? maybe as I read more?)

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments I just finished the prologue and I feel like I'm reading Pretty Little Liars again - or a remake of that series.

Deborah I second Pretty Little Liars. Almost to chapter two. I am not a big fan of Clique books. Hope it gets better. These girls make me cringe.

Courtney (cklueh) I'm almost finished and it does get better. I actually WANT to read it now, LOL.

Chloe (chloebooklover) Angie wrote: "Does anyone else think it's funny that we picked this book around groundhog's day. Like the movie where he keeps living the same moment over and over? That is how I am feeling in this book so far."

Angie, that is such a good point! That movie actually made me afraid of recurring days!!

Chloe (chloebooklover) Audiaa wrote: "I also liked the potential of the prologue, but story doesn't seem to live up to it. When she restarted the day I just groaned a little. The girls seem pretty typical for YA fiction and I don't f..."

Audiaa, I hated the girls at first, but as I got into the story I loved them all.

Audiaa | 7 comments Chloe wrote: "Audiaa, I hated the girls at first, but as I got into the story I loved them all. "

I don't think I came around to love them by the end, but I at least came to understand them and their actions a little better. Maybe I expected more from Sam, but the way she's portrayed is probably more realistic.

I agree that it does get better (I did finish it in two days, I think), but some of the girls still feel a little shallow at the end.

message 25: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Teresa in Ohio wrote: "Sadly. There. Are. Girls. In. High. School. Who. Are. Just. Like. Sam. And. Her. Clique. Who. Think. They. Are. The. Cream. Of. The. Crop. Sam. Appears. To. Be. The. One. Who. Got sucked. In. An..."

I don't get this post... what do all the periods mean?

message 26: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

I thought this book got better but after the first few days you follow Sam around.

Winna (winnaefendi) | 16 comments Liked the first chapter. Then the pace got a little slow, and I got a little bored.

Am on page 216 now and will finish reading it soon!

message 28: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Wow... you flew through the book Winna!

Winna (winnaefendi) | 16 comments Hi Angie! I was a bit late in joining the fun, but better late than never, right?

Just got the book and just finished it this morning. I love the ending :)

message 30: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

It is always better let then never. Our book discussions go on forever. After the month that the book is picked for there may not be as many participants but it doesn't matter!!!