Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Weekly Reading > What are you reading January 31st?

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Irisheyes (last edited Jan 31, 2011 03:34PM) (new)

Irisheyes | 896 comments I finished HOW TO WOO A RELUCTANT LADY by Sabrina Jeffries and enjoyed it. It was cute.

I also finished WILD MAN CREEK by Robyn and enjoyed that. I can't wait to read Kelly's story out next month.

Things have been quite crazy today getting ready for the big snowstorm , but next on my list is EJ's WHEN BEAUTY TAMED THE BEAST.

message 2: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2101 comments Mod
I am finishing rereading last nights scandal. then I'm going to rereading barely a lady....

message 3: by Janga (new)

Janga | 1070 comments Mod
Last week I read Any Man of Mine by Rachel Gibson, Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart by Sarah MacLean, Midnight's Wild Passion by Anna Campbell,and Already Home by Susan Mallery. All of them were A-B reads for me. I'll review the Mallery book this week on my blog within a discussion of the scarcity of good mothers in romance/romantic women's fiction. Already Home has a good mother; actually it has two of them. I also finished Vanessa Kelly's My Favorite Countess, which was not only a great romance--and a different one--but also interesting in strictly historical terms. Elizabeth Hoyt's Notorious Pleasures is next.

message 4: by Irisheyes (last edited Jan 31, 2011 06:45PM) (new)

Irisheyes | 896 comments Janga wrote: "Elizabeth Hoyt's Notorious Pleasures is next."

Janga, EH's NOTORIOUS PLEASURES I'm saving for last. I have a few more to get through before I dive into hers. I want to make sure I have plenty of time to savor it.

message 5: by Manda (last edited Jan 31, 2011 06:54PM) (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1923 comments Mod
Wow, Janga, that's quite a list:) I enjoyed MY FAVORITE COUNTESS, too. It was quite nice to read a physician hero for a change.

I am about to start WHEN BEAUTY TAMED THE BEAST and I can't wait! Then I have to buckle down and read my RITA books.

I read Lauren Willig's THE ORCHID AFFAIR over the weekend and enjoyed it. Though I'm glad I waited to read these late enough that I could glom a bunch of them at once. I think the snail's pace of Eloise and Colin's relationship arc would have driven me batty if I were reading them just as each successive book released.

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindyw35) | 128 comments I've been in a reading slump. I'm finally picking it up again with Katie Fforde's Life Skills.

message 7: by Kasey (new)

Kasey | 560 comments Mod
I am almost done with Victoria Dahl's A LITTLE BIT WILD. I am not sure what I am going to pick up next, I kind of want something different.

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jen_fairytales) | 10 comments Just finished EJ's "When Beauty Tamed the Beast" and Laura Lee Guhrke's "Scandal of the Year." Loved both of these!!

I just started Holly Black's young adult book "White Cat" this morning and can't wait to get off work to keep reading!

message 9: by Monica (new)

Monica | 548 comments Mod
I've just started "The Countess" by Lynsay Sands.

message 10: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2101 comments Mod
Reading shalvis Animal Magnetism. Not sure what I think (except that ahe has a thing about siblings coming in 3s).

message 11: by Monica (new)

Monica | 548 comments Mod
Ooooh, DLS... I wanted to read that book. I'll be interested to hear your final thoughts...

message 12: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2101 comments Mod
Monica I have to say that I was disappointed. I love her Wilder brother series where we really can see what attracts the couples to eachother as well as like them individally. In this book Brady and Lilah are both very likable and the sexual attraction is strong but it's hard to see what about Lilah draws Brady. And the role of the western Rockies was so ce teal to the characters in the Wilder series that i was disappointed to feel like this book could have been set anywhere.
I will probably give it a 3
on the other hand I really liked the new Molly okeefe his wife for one night.
Is it just me or are there a lot of contemps out there right now w characters who were abused or in foster care or both? I'm reading Sarah Mayberrys the last goodbye and the hero there was abused by his dad: the hero in the new okeefe was abused by his mom: the hero in animal magnetism was in foster care (and looks like the next two in that series will be about his foster brothers. Actually, the set up for those two stories looks great.)

message 13: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Romain | 420 comments Kasey, I really liked "A Little Bit Wild"--nice to see the hero being steadier than the heroine for a change! Jude and Marissa were a great match for one another.

I'm so excited about the buzz on Eloisa's BEAUTY--a lovely friend who lives in Brooklyn was able to go to the launch party last week and snag me a signed copy! (Since my friend wants to read it first, I have an emergency copy on its way to me so I don't have to wait.)

Right now I'm reading Courtney Milan's UNVEILED. I'm about halfway through, and it's lovely. She has a marvelous ability to make her characters do the thing a reader least expects and yet remain completely true to themselves.

message 14: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2101 comments Mod
I finished Unveiled. It was wonderful. One of those romances where they are both adults. Just a lovely book.
Now I'm about 50 pages in to notorious. So far it's fabulous.

Aly is so frigging bored | 857 comments Mod
I am reading the Knight Miscellany series by Gaelen Foley and loving it! Tortured heroes(and veeeery hot *batting eyelashes*), lots of drama and emotion: just what the doctor order(me getting a cold and all)...

message 16: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1923 comments Mod
Dls wrote: "on the other hand I really liked the new Molly okeefe his wife for one night.
Is it just me or are there a lot of contemps out there right now w characters who were abused or in foster care or both? I'm reading Sarah Mayberrys the last goodbye and the hero there was abused by his dad: the hero in the new okeefe was abused by his mom."

D, I read the new O'Keefe and the new Mayberry back to back and was really struck by the similarities in their set-ups with the abuse background and the elderly/ill parents. Come to think of it, the recent Karina Bliss had a similar set-up, though without the abuse. I suppose those are issues that lots of people are dealing with in real life, so it becomes fodder for novels.

I'm reading two books at the same time which I almost never do. I had to make a roadtrip yesterday so I listened to Jayne Ann Krentz's IN TOO DEEP. And I'm also reading Cynthia Eden's DEADLY HEAT. Also need to get started on my RITA reading.

message 17: by Okie (new)

Okie (okieb) | 2112 comments Mod
Starting on my Sunday read, The Lost Gate by Orson Scott Card.

message 18: by Okie (new)

Okie (okieb) | 2112 comments Mod
Janga, I'm really looking forward to reading Anna Campbell's Midnight's Wild Passion

message 19: by Kasey (new)

Kasey | 560 comments Mod
Theresa - it was a good book, but at times I thought the pacing was a bit off. I did enjoy it though. After that I read A GRAVEYARD BOOK, which was a good YA novel and now I am half way through Sabrian Jeffries's HOW TO WOO A RELUCTANT LADY and I am really enjoying that one so far.

message 20: by Dls (last edited Feb 06, 2011 10:54AM) (new)

Dls | 2101 comments Mod
I finished Notorious. Wow. Its rare that you can read two such wonderful books in the same week (this and Unveiled.)
I also finished the rereading I wanted to do for the AAR poll...2010 was a good year.

message 21: by Pj (new)

Pj Ausdenmore (pjpuppymom) | 100 comments I stepped out of my comfort zone to read THE SURRENDER OF LACY MORGAN, a historical western erotica by Suzanne Ferrell and was surprised by how very much I enjoyed it. This is Ferrell's debut and I'm looking forward to more from her.