Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Inside Out (Insider, #1)
This topic is about Inside Out
Book Club Discussions > February 2011- Inside Out by Maria Snyder

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

Jennifer W | 1289 comments Mod
Use this thread to discuss Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder. This book was chosen as our non-themed book for February. Please mark spoilers!

Heather Bree (blackdotbug) I'm on page 97. I have so many questions! I'm really enjoying this one. :)

Heather Bree (blackdotbug) I'm done... still so many unanswered questions. Excellent first in series book. Loved all the characters (except Dr. Lamont and Broken Man). Can't wait to read the next one.

Lydia (loverofinformation) | 596 comments I just finished this book. It seems to me all the information about Dr. Lamont isn't in yet. Remember, Trella has not read the file about herself.

This book has really strong themes about right vs. wrong, and the difference in classes. I'm sure there is more accounted for in the second book, but by the end of this, it is a fact that those who have been known as "scrubs" are essential to the continuation of everyone's existence. I believe Rat was introduced to focus on the idea that some people enjoy their jobs. What is not discussed is what is happening now that there is equal representation of the two classes of people.

That puzzles me.

Heather Bree (blackdotbug) Well, certainly things will begin to happen, especially since they have room to expand now, I imagine the overcrowding issue is going to be one of the first rectifications. I imagine something will be done about the limit on the births of uppers, too. And hopefully birth control will be made available to the scrubs. But I'll have to read the next book to see. :)

What I really want to know is, where are they going? What happened to Earth?

Rita Webb (ritawebb) | 183 comments I read this book last year. There seems to be so few YA books that are more sci-fi rather than fantasy. There's no faeries or wizards or vampires. Rather refreshing, I thought.

Izzy I honestly didn't expect to like this one. Something about the cover turned me off, but I was pleasantly surprised when I started reading. At first, it was slow going for me but soon I found myself really into it. By the end, I was completely in love with this book, and I'll definitely be reading the sequel!

The twist with the Outside being outer space was so fascinating. I didn't see it coming at all, and I hope the second book answers all the questions raised by it. If they're coming to Earth, where did they come from? Are they aliens, or were humans forced to evacuate the planet and they're now returning? Will Trella ever get to see Earth, since they won't arrive until Week One Million?

Brittany | 35 comments I was hoping for more discussion on this one.

I felt like Trella had no reason to be as distrusting as she was. Nothing happened in her childhood except for a bit of teasing that would cause her to distrust EVERYONE except Cog.

And I was a little disturbed that they opened a vacuum into space and Trella came out of that alive. Even 30 seconds in a vacuum would do some serious damage to a living body...

Izzy I felt like it was just her personality to want solitude. She sought out the pipes because they were quiet and away from the clamor of the scrubs living in such close quarters, so that means she probably just likes being alone. Since being with the scrubs is the opposite of alone, it kind of makes sense that she wouldn't enjoy being with them. She also feels different from them and that makes her isolate herself even more.

As for your second point, I found that odd as well.

Out of curiosity, is anyone reading Outside In, the sequel? I'm reading it now.

Brittany | 35 comments I kind of want to read it, but I don't really want to buy it so I'll read it if it comes my way.

I understood that she liked solitude...but there's a difference between liking the solitude of the pipes and a mistrust of humanity so deep that she refuses to believe or trust anyone aside from Cog. The irony is that she believes and trusts (at least initially) the Pop Cop propaganda without even realizing she is doing so.

I did find it extremely interesting that they were in outer space though. I thought they would be in the arctic..I didn't even guess space!

Paula (pauldajo) I'm about half way through listening to Inside Out. Though, after reading that they are on a spaceship, I really don't have any urgent need to get back to the book. I will eventually.

Brittany | 35 comments Oh no! That was the driving factor of my interest. Sorry I hope we didn't ruin it for you.

message 13: by Paula (last edited Mar 03, 2011 12:55PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Paula (pauldajo) Ordinarily I have no problem knowing the end of a story. I guess I was hoping that the scrubs would conquer the uppers and find their way to an Utopian land on the surface of Earth. The spaceship was a disappointment, but I'm over that. I am interested in so many of the characters that I will listen to the rest of the book. I so want to eliminate the pop cops. They are the definition of souless people. The pop cops need a dose of their own medicine.

message 14: by Izzy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Izzy I think her mistrust also stemmed from the fact that she's so different from anyone else, but now that you mention it, it does seem a bit too deep-rooted to just be that.

I loved that they were in space. I was expecting that the Inside was just heated or something and she was unused to cold, but then when she saw the emptiness outside, I was so surprised! It made the book for me.

Paula (pauldajo) What emptiness outside? Was she able to look out a window?

Paula (pauldajo) I finished Inside Out and liked the story. Still not loving the spaceship scenario, but the important part about a story is the interactions between the characters which was well done by Snyder. Chomper disturbed me to no end. Can't be sad to know that the Trella family is having hard times. There is hope for better times and that is often what helps humans survive. I'll probably listening to Outside In.

Brittany | 35 comments It's funny how different things can attract people. For me one of the only redeeming factors of this one was that it took place in space... But come to think of it I'm reminded of a book I saw in the book store today called Across the Universe...anyone read it?

I also read a good review (well it wasn't a good review of the book) of Delirium by Lauren Oliver that put rounded out my thoughts when the reviewer said that a good dystopian novel is scary because you can see how we got to that point. You can see moving from where we are now, to where they are in the book. How it would happen. What it would be like. It's terrifying.

But with this book, we don't get any real back story. I felt like everyone's... general ignorance of their situation...why they were in space hurtling toward another planet... was a bit disturbing. Granted they had been in space traveling for over 2,000 years.... but it just seemed odd that no one would know where or why or how. And that they wouldn't be told.

The lack of back story is starting to drive me crazy. I hope she gets to it in Outside In...Let me know!

Paula (pauldajo) 2000 years is a long time. Thanks for doing that math, I was too lazy. Since I learned that Trella was on a spaceship, I've been wondering why they haven't been attacked by aliens. Are there no aliens? What about the spaceship being hit by huge rocks, wouldn't the spaceship occupants feel a collison? Which group is flying the ship (controllers?) or is a Hal like computer doing all the work? I'm going to buy the next book rather than listen to it. I sometimes miss key information when I listen. At least with a book I can flip through it to refresh my memory.

Heather Bree (blackdotbug) That lack of back story was an issue for me as well. I really want to know what happened to Earth. I do think that there are still people that know what happened, but when the security family (can't remember the name) took over they went through and cleaned out a lot of data from the ship's computers. They were actively hiding information about what happened, where these people came from and where they are going. All we know is that something special is going to happen (when is it? Week 1 million or something?).
I think that it had been the intention of the people who first populated this ship that information about their origins and their plans would have traveled from generation to generation. It was only lost when the security family took over. So that conspiracy aspect of it was what kept the book alive for me, when I really just wanted to know the back story. I could at least say, well there's a reason we don't know this and it's something to uncover in future installments.

Brittany | 35 comments But the Trava takeover only happened in Trella's parent's lifetime. So they deleted the information recently, but there would DEFINITELY still be rumors if the knowledge had been known even within 2 generations...Which makes me believe that the information was lost/hidden a long time ago.

It reminds me of City of Ember in that these people will (eventually) get to earth (if they don't all kill each other before then!) and then...what? Land? Live in the box? Be so confused and without purpose that they don't know how to live outside of the box?

Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes) (imjustcupcake) | 191 comments Reviving this thread for the moment thanks to the current challenge going on.

I just finished this book. I liked it, it wasn't my favorite Snyder book, but it was still good.

I disagree with wanting more of a back story. I think that if she had given us more backstory it would have ruined this book. We were discovering with the characters in this book. I hope she gives us a bit more in the next book, I think back story would probably fit in better with the sequel.

There are definately a ton of unanswered questions.

Something I didn't quite feel fit was the old scrubs kept referring to old things, like "sweet 16" and calling the centiweek a "long week". But they had been in space so long, these old people, if they were able to recall this kind of information, probably should have remembered other things as well. This is probably an annoying story loophole more than anything...but still.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Inside Out (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Maria V. Snyder (other topics)