Book Geeks and Bookniks discussion

Group Reads > February 2011 Group Read - The History of Love

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer  (jml_417) The History of Love by Nicole Krauss is our February Group Read.

message 2: by Theresa (new)

Theresa I will be glad to be revisiting this, especially after being so disappointed with Great House.

message 3: by Dannielle (new)

Dannielle Insalaco | 51 comments OK...so it took me 2 1/2 weeks to get through it but I ended up loving it. Did anyone stick with it???

message 4: by Julie (new)

Julie | 59 comments Dannielle, it took me at least that long to finish it but I did. Mainly because I was the one who suggested this title, I felt I should really finish it!

I didn't love it. I was so confused and don't feel I grasped the big picture at all. I did enjoy the main male character, and the young girl. Would love to hear how all these characters fit together if someone knows.

message 5: by Liz (new)

Liz I did finish it although it did take me awhile. I can't say that I loved it, but I did like it. But like Julie, I felt really confused thru most of the book with occassional flashes of clarity. I think I kinda got how it all tied together at the end, but I wouldn't swear to that. ;-) It was an interesting read though & I never considered putting it down to read something else.

message 6: by Theresa (new)

Theresa I really, really liked this book. I read it not long after it came out and it must have been at a time when I could really focus. I thought Krauss did a wonderful job of weaving the stories together, and I found the characters vivid. I'd planned on skimming through it again, but my son took the book back to college with him!

message 7: by Theresa (new)

Theresa By the way, I gave up on Great House. What Krauss managed to pull off so well in The History of Love fell entirely flat in her new novel.

message 8: by Stacey (new)

Stacey I loved it! Liked the characters and the writing. I would say that I liked even better the second time than the first. I remember really liking it when I read it when it was first released.

The character of Bruno caught me off gaurd...what/who do you think he represents? I liked how everything ties together in the end and the visual of Leo and Alma sitting on a park bench was touching.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The History of Love (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Nicole Krauss (other topics)