Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Blog Promotion > My Blog :)

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 380 comments I just want to share my blog with you. I just started it today and I don't have any reviews up yet but in case anyone wants to check it out or has any advice for keeping a blog let me know :)

www.biblioconfessions.blogspot.com

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan Roebuck (sueroe) | 25 comments There! I'm one of your first followers. Pretty layout and good objective to blog. Once you start reviewing, you'll get more followers, I'm sure.
It's interesting because I'm at the other end of the spectrum - I'm a writer, so my blog content's different (http://lauracea.blogspot.com).

message 3: by Erika (new)

Erika (erikareading) Nice! I like the style and the name and subtitle of your blog...

Well, I don't know if you should be taking advice from me or not but here goes:

Pay attention to what other bloggers are doing and interact with them...it's fun but you also learn a lot and get tons of great ideas about what you can do to improve your blog.

It depends on what kind of books you are reviewing but I know the smaller authors (especially indie authors) really appreciate getting emails telling them you've reviewed their books. It's really encouraging to them and sometimes they'll even put a link up to your review from their own blog, so that's cool.

Most of all...be yourself! And do what you want to do :D

I decided to follow you. I saw your list of upcoming books. All of those look so good. I can't wait to see what you think of them.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 380 comments Susan wrote: "There! I'm one of your first followers. Pretty layout and good objective to blog. Once you start reviewing, you'll get more followers, I'm sure.
It's interesting because I'm at the other end of the..."

Thank you Susan!

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 380 comments Erika wrote: "Nice! I like the style and the name and subtitle of your blog...

Well, I don't know if you should be taking advice from me or not but here goes:

Pay attention to what other bloggers are doing and..."

Thank you for the advice Erika, I appreciate it! And thank you for following me! I'm hoping to get a review up in the next couple days. This is the second week of
the start of the semester at my school so it's pretty hectic right now but once I get a handle on everything I'm hoping to get back into reading quicker. I used to read about 5-6 books a week and right now I'm at 2 sort of haha because of the load of school work.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 380 comments I was concerned about how I should portray myself through the reviews but I've heard from a few people to just be myself so that's what I'm going to try to do. I also write reviews for nocturnereads.com so some of my reviews will be linked there but those are going to be limited on what I can say because they have a strict policy and a certain way of rating the books. Unfortunately, I can't write separate reviews for the same books (it's against their policy). I really want to improve my comfort level with my writing and I'm hoping reviewing books will help. Also, I read tons and tons of books so I thought with my reading experience I could maybe have enough experience for reviewing.

message 7: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Sarah, have you thought about posting your GR reviews to blog?

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 380 comments Sashana wrote: "Sarah, have you thought about posting your GR reviews to blog?"

Are you talking about goodreads reviews? I haven't written any reviews on goodreads. :( I was thinking of linking to my previous reviews on Nocturne Reads but I haven't decided yet.

message 9: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Yes, I was talking about the Goodreads reviews. I say just take it slow and easy. You're just starting out so no one expects you to be cranking the reviews out. Do you know how many books you'll review per month? Are you reviewing multiple genres or just one?

message 10: by Erika (new)

Erika (erikareading) I'm glad I could help :) Writing reviews has actually really improved my own writing and boosted my confidence a lot. Hopefully you'll have a great experience too :)

Also, if you're feeling overwhelmed with school at any time or having a slow reading week, there's no one stopping you from writing about a book you've read already but haven't reviewed yet. And I agree with Sashana. No one expects you to review 5 or 6 books a week (even if you can read that many!).

When I first started in the fall I think I only did about one review every two weeks and then I decided to try for one per week which is working out great now because I have a better handle on things. There are other things I write about on my blog so one or two is really the max. It all depends on your schedule and what you want your blog to be about.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 380 comments Sashana wrote: "Yes, I was talking about the Goodreads reviews. I say just take it slow and easy. You're just starting out so no one expects you to be cranking the reviews out. Do you know how many books you'll re..."

I'm going to try to review the news books I can. As many as possible probably, I haven't decided on a set amount yet. The genres will probably be mostly Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, and YA. Although if I read another book that I think is worth sharing that isn't in those genres I'll probably write a review for it. But lately I've been stuck in those three genres and I can't get enough! haha

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 380 comments Erika wrote: "I'm glad I could help :) Writing reviews has actually really improved my own writing and boosted my confidence a lot. Hopefully you'll have a great experience too :)

Also, if you're feeling overwh..."

I guess I just feel like this is a great idea for me to do especially because I want to pursue some kind of career in the book industry (not exactly sure what). I want to do it well and I think I have high expectations for myself. I will probably have to do one like every two weeks to start unless I feel more comfortable doing it every week. It just depends on how my school work load goes.

message 13: by Lynsay (new)

Lynsay Tervit (lynsaytea) | 6 comments I'm following the blogs listed so far!! I'm interesting in reading everyone's reviews, and I'm sure it'll help me find some new books!

I've just started a review blog as well, all feedback/comments welcome!!

http://theinsatiableereader.blogspot....

message 14: by Erika (new)

Erika (erikareading) Hi Lynsay! I like your blog name too. I'm actually having a lot of fun looking around at blogs and seeing all the neat titles for them people have come up with :)

I have Brighten Rock on my TBR list. No one I know has ever mentioned it before so it's nice to see something about it finally. Jane Eyre, on your upcoming list, is now one of my favourite books ever (I read it last year). I hope you enjoy that one too.

message 15: by Rollie (new)

Rollie (zheick) | 24 comments Nice layout Sarah. I'm one of your followers already. Check mine if you have time: http://whenblogandbookcollide.blogspo...

message 16: by Lisarenee (last edited Feb 03, 2011 07:56PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Sarah, Ever thought of using a picture of the book cover for your City of Fallen Angels ticker?

City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4) by Cassandra Clare

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 380 comments You know I didn't think of that and now that you mention it, it would probably look better! Thanks Lisarenee!

And thanks Rollie for following me! :)

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 380 comments Added two posts today :) My top 5 books and a review for The Iron King by Julie Kagawa! Let me know what you think!!

message 19: by Erika (new)

Erika (erikareading) Sarah, I started reading but I had trouble seeing some of it though. I think you may have changed the background picture on your blog. I really like it (pretty!) but the when the white text scrolls on top of the picture where it's also white-ish I can barely see the text. Does that make sense? I like the picture a lot but I want to see the words more. Maybe you could change the text to be just a bit darker or a different color?

I liked what I read though. The top 5 is a great idea. I love reading lists like that :)

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 380 comments I understand what you mean, I was wondering if anyone would have trouble reading it. I'm probably going to change it. I'm glad you liked the top 5, I'll probably do that for 2011 (so obviously posted at the end of the year).

message 21: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I agree with Erika. I think the background is a little loud...well at least the color. I also think that you should make your rating a bit more visible.

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 380 comments I'm changing the rating system, and I changed the background.

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 380 comments I changed the rating system to hearts and I made them as big as possible at the end of the review. If you guys still have trouble seeing things, or if it's awkward please let me know! Thanks guys! I really appreciate all the advice, and support!

message 24: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I think it looks great, Sarah. Much better. I couldn't see the heart review though, can you give me a direct link?

message 25: by Sarah (last edited Feb 07, 2011 04:52PM) (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 380 comments At the very end of The Iron King review and Unseen review there should be four hearts.

http://biblioconfessions.blogspot.com...

message 26: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Okay I see it. Very cute :)

message 27: by Sarah (last edited Feb 07, 2011 04:53PM) (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 380 comments Thank you :)it was my fiance's idea to use hearts haha

message 28: by Helen (new)

Helen Smith (emperorsclothes) Hello, I just joined this group.

Thanks to everyone for posting the links to your blogs - I have followed them.

Here's mine: http://helensmithblog.blogspot.com

I don't really do reviews. I'm a writer. I do giveaways of my books and other people's occasionally..

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

My writing/self-publishing info & resources blog:

http://www.fenriswulf-books.co.uk

Looking for more helpful resources and links to add, such as self-help blogs for writers, review sites, etc. Links & banner exchanges always accepted.

message 30: by Helen (new)

Helen Smith (emperorsclothes) C. - nice wolf on yr blog.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Helen wrote: "C. - nice wolf on yr blog."
Thanks, designed him myself a few years ago - decided to use him as my company mascot ;)

message 32: by Erika (new)

Erika (erikareading) Sarah, I saw the changes you made a few days ago. Very nice. I didn't notice the hearts until now though. Cute :) It matches the heart of the book pages in your background too.

I spent some time upgrading the look of my blog this week too. Are we using this thread as a blog list now? I don't know. I'll list it anyways so you guys can see the changes. Hopefully you'll like it!

www.100starsorless.blogspot.com

Now I'm off to see the other blogs listed here. Have a great weekend, everyone!

message 33: by Helen (new)

Helen Smith (emperorsclothes) Erika, I really like the photo on your blog header! I have followed you.

And C. Wow, you designed that wolf? I'm impressed!

message 34: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I agree with Ellen. I love the background and the header picture. You did so much in a short amount of time. I can't wait to see what you come up with for your YA blog.

P.S. I like when everyone posts their new changes. Sometimes I forget to check on the blogs I follow.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Helen wrote: "Erika, I really like the photo on your blog header! I have followed you.

And C. Wow, you designed that wolf? I'm impressed!"

Thanks! I did study graphic design & illustration so I thought it made sense to design and illustrate my own stuff ;)

message 36: by Erika (new)

Erika (erikareading) Thank you Helen and Sashana! I designed the header myself (with stock photos) so that's fantastic that you like it.

I did do a ton in a short amount of time. I'm glad I finished what I wanted to get done because I was starting to get sick of it and wanted my reading time back :/

message 37: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 380 comments I added some new reviews if anyone wants to check them out. Secrets of the Demon is up and At Grave's End. Enjoy!

message 38: by Erika (last edited Mar 16, 2011 10:56AM) (new)

Erika (erikareading) I wanted you all to know that I opened my young adult blog yesteray! So, because I'm crazy I'm posting about one young adult book every day in different themes. Then for each book I'm posting something related to it or a book meme. Plus, I'm going to make an effort to get my YA book reviews up there along with free kindle books and cool giveaways that I find.

www.oneadayya.blogspot.com (edited to correct a typo...*headdesk*)

message 39: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Erika, I got this message when I tried to visit your blog: Blog not found
Sorry, the blog you were looking for does not exist. However, the name oneadyya is available to register!

message 40: by Erika (new)

Erika (erikareading) Oops, you know what? I missed a letter in the url. Thanks for being so quick to check it out and reply. Here it is again:

www.oneadayya.blogspot.com

Sorry! That's what I get for typing this on my tv while eating at the same time ;/