Great War (1914-1918): The Society and Culture of the First World War discussion

Book Club/Online Discussion > Book Club/Online Discussion?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 75 comments Mod
Is there interest in a book club/online discussion of a WW1 themed book? I personally do not have time to "lead" the discussion, but if there is interest, I certainly would be delighted if someone else is interested and would like to lead. Just a thought.

message 2: by AC (new)

AC | 8 comments Jenna wrote: "Is there interest in a book club/online discussion of a WW1 themed book? I personally do not have time to "lead" the discussion, but if there is interest, I certainly would be delighted if someone..."

I can't lead it - but am always game if the book is right -- (I've been aiming to read Cataclysm for a while, and have it loaded on my kindle...; but open to ideas)

message 3: by 'Aussie Rick' (new)

'Aussie Rick' (aussierick) Same here, maybe we could start putting together some suggested titles and see what happens? Maybe just do a buddy read where we just join in when we can?

message 4: by Ian (new)

Ian | 5 comments I would be interested in a WWI Book Club/Discussion Group. I belong to a WWI study group. Suggest it operates as does the WWII Buffs Group. I will investigate what's involved in 'leading' a group. If it's not too onerous I'll volunteer. Will write again. Currebtly reading William Boyd's An Ice-cream War by William Boyd set in East Africa in WWI

message 5: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (bekeown) | 13 comments Sounds like a great idea. I'd also be willing to lead, though in several other groups, a buddy-system worked very well, also.
So far, we have Cataclysm as a suggestion--any other thoughts?

message 6: by 'Aussie Rick' (new)

'Aussie Rick' (aussierick) I will need to check out my library, when would we all be comfortable in starting this? Would March 1st be OK as that would allow us to work out which book we all wanted to read and make sure we all had access to the same title.

message 7: by Jan C (new)

message 8: by AC (new)

AC | 8 comments 'Aussie Rick' wrote: "I will need to check out my library, when would we all be comfortable in starting this? Would March 1st be OK as that would allow us to work out which book we all wanted to read and make sure we al..."

If we read Cataclysm, March 1st works for me --

message 9: by Ian (new)

Ian | 5 comments Are we talking about fiction and non-fiction books re WWI or both? Is this to be a reading club where we all read the same book and discuss or a group where we discuss what we happen to be reading individually and make recommendations? Or all of these things!

regards

Ian Patrick

message 10: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 69 comments I, for one, prefer non-fiction but have read a few fictional books about WWI. I would think we would all read the same book and discuss.

message 11: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 75 comments Mod
As I don't think I'll be doing more than popping in here and there, I am fine with whatever the majority decides for type of book and length of time to read it.

I know the WW2 book discussion seems to do well, but I don't know how its run, so maybe once Ian has more details he can let us know. Thanks.

message 12: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (bekeown) | 13 comments In the interest of keeping the proverbial ball rolling on this, could we perhaps agree on Conquest for March and leave an option open for a fiction book in April or later? If there's interest, there could even be two groups, one for fiction and one for non.
In other groups, I've found it helpful to set up a discussion folder for the book so people can post their thoughts/questions/opinions/ideas for further reading, etc. Might this work here?

message 13: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 75 comments Mod
Bridget, that sounds fine with me! I'll set up a new folder/section for the "book club".

message 14: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 75 comments Mod
Wait -- title? Conquest? Cataclysm? Sorry...!

message 15: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (bekeown) | 13 comments Erm...I shouldn't be allowed to type before coffee time...sorry! Cataclysm, yes.

message 16: by AC (new)

AC | 8 comments Bridget wrote: "Erm...I shouldn't be allowed to type before coffee time...sorry! Cataclysm, yes."

When was the start day - I have long had Cataclysm on my list, and would like to read it - but March 1 is probably too soon for me -- or too short notice - would you be willing to wait till March 15th, or (better) to April 1?

We had agreed on 50 pgs/week, is that right...?

message 17: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (bekeown) | 13 comments 50 pages is great. Seeing how it's a rather long book, what do we think about starting March 15 and going through April with it?

message 18: by John (new)

John | 2 comments I'm in.

John

message 19: by Ian (new)

Ian | 5 comments On reflection the book club format with sort of timetabled reading is not for me. Hope it all goes well.
I'll post items to the group re book titles from time to time. A novel set in WW1 - east Africa - which I enjoyed is An Ice-cream War by William Boyd