Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BRs - Authors; E - H > Haydon, Elizabeth - Prophecy: Child of Earth (Symphony of Ages # 2)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 152 (152 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Sans (last edited Jan 30, 2011 07:19PM) (new)

Sans Prophecy Child of Earth (Symphony of Ages, #2) by Elizabeth Haydon

Lisa, I took the liberty of starting the thread for the second book. I hope you don't mind!

As always, expect SPOILERS!

message 2: by Lisarenee (last edited Jan 30, 2011 07:16PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Jinx you owe me a coke. I just put one up too. lol Can you add a cover picture and I'll delete mine?

message 3: by Sans (new)

Sans LOL!! Great minds, y'know. ^_~ Book cover added!

message 4: by Lisarenee (last edited Jan 30, 2011 07:19PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Isn't scary when friends think alike? ;) Pretty soon we'll be finishing each others sentences.

message 5: by Sans (new)

Sans Dude, seriously. Wanna know the really scary thing? My dad and I finish each other's sentences. >_<

message 6: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments What's really scary is when you start speaking in half sentences throughout a whole conversation. Had a roommate in college and we were a little too much on the same wavelength. People would look at us like we were from another planet and say to us, "You really know what each other is saying?" We'd give each other a funny grin and they in unison, "Yes!"

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments I'm not done with Rhapsody yet but I will probably finish it either tonight or in a couple of days. I've already requested Prophecy. I'm catching up! :D

message 8: by Gaijinmama (new)

Gaijinmama | 53 comments I think this is my favorite book of the series. It's not just about the sex. Well who am I kidding, it's
about the sex!
But seriously, The Empire Strikes Back is my favorite Star Wars film and The Two Towers is IMO the best part of the LoTR trilogy and there isn't any boom-shaka-laka in those. I guess a well-done second book resolves some important issues and goes deeper into who the characters really are.
That and good sex. Works for me every time.

message 9: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Sans, You're going to read this one, right? When are you going to start?

Niquae, Are you stopping with Rhapsody or will you continue?

message 10: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments I'm done with Rhapsody. I will be continuing. I'm waiting for my book to be mailed from paperbackswap.com. If all goes well, I should have Prophecy in two weeks or so.

message 11: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Okay, I'll hold off reading it till later.

message 12: by Sans (new)

Sans I'm going to start next weekend probably. I've got a huge project going on at work that goes live next Tuesday. After that, I have to catch up on my regular work and my co-worker's projects since she's on a personal leave until April. @_@

message 13: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments I meant to read this in February, then I pushed it off to March. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to push it off until April. Eeps.

message 14: by Sans (new)

Sans *raises hand* Same here, Niquae. My co-worker is coming back on Monday so I'll have a lot less stress at work. I'm hoping to start this next weekend.

message 15: by Gaijinmama (new)

Gaijinmama | 53 comments I'm in that situation, too. Several other group reads clamoring for my attention..but I've read it several times already, and have the Good Parts dog-eared

message 16: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments hahaha. I don't feel quite alone now. :D

message 17: by Gaijinmama (new)

Gaijinmama | 53 comments If it's any incentive, the Good Parts are pretty damn good! One in particular. Have fun when you get to it.

message 18: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments April works best for me too.

message 19: by Sans (new)

Sans Awesome! Hey, Gaijinmana, are you still living in Japan? If so, I hope you and your family are doing well.

message 20: by Gaijinmama (new)

Gaijinmama | 53 comments Thanks for asking Sans. I live about 300 miles from the nuclear plant in Fukushima, and even farther from Sendai, where the earthquake was centered. LIfe in Tokyo is basically going on normally. We're doing well, although a bit stressed out from the aftershocks and worries about long-term effects on the food and water supply.
I have lived in Japan for 20 years, basically my whole adult life. My and my husband's jobs, our kids' school, not to mention our mortgage and our bank accounts, are all here.
Yeah, this is pretty permanent.

message 21: by Sans (new)

Sans I thought so (that life was permanent). I'm glad you're ok!!

message 22: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Me too! I'm glad everything is okay.

message 23: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Good to hear that you and your family are well, considering!

message 24: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Are you able to get pretty much everything now? I know you said you got bananas again, but that other supplies were running low at one point.

message 25: by Sans (new)

Sans Uhhhh, whoops! I forgot about this! Ok, I think I might have to start reading a chapter or two of this each day. >_<

message 26: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I'll try to do so as well.

message 27: by Sans (new)

Sans Lisa, want to start tomorrow? ^o^

message 28: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Sure, which will be today. :) 2 Chapters?

message 29: by Sans (new)

Sans 2 chapters! ^o^

message 30: by Sans (new)

Sans Lisa, I'm reading the Intermezzo and stopping at page 47 for tonight (since there weren't real chapters in the prologue). ^_^

message 31: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Okay, I'm about to start and will read to page 47.

message 32: by Sans (new)

Sans Thank goodness that "prologue" was nice and long. It really helped to refresh my memory of what happened in the first book. I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed Rhapsody. So glad to be reading this finally!

message 33: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I'm at page 20. I fell asleep. Do you have the paperback version?

message 34: by Sans (new)

Sans Yep, I'm reading the mass market copy.

message 35: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Then we're probably in sync.

message 36: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I got a little farther. I'm not sure what page. I like how a lot of what happened in the last book is explained and what everyone is thinking.

message 37: by Sans (new)

Sans Exactly! I was grateful for the refresher.

message 38: by Lisarenee (last edited May 05, 2011 07:59PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments What are we reading to? Through chapter one or two?

I like how both guys are really gonna miss Rhapsody and are worried about her trip. I still can't believe Ashe/Sam and Rhapsody don't recognize each other. Wonder if Rhapsody's nightmare means anything?

I like how the chapter names are being written on music staph paper. I think it's a nice touch.

message 39: by Sans (new)

Sans I accidentally ate some rosemary with dinner tonight (I'm allergic and get migraines from the damn herb) so I don't think I'll make it through two chapters tonight (still trying to catch up on Magic Study). I haven't started the main story yet, just read the prologue/Intermezzo (stopped at page 47). Yes, the boys are so sweet! Love how each one is worried and shows it in his own way. Awwwwww.

message 40: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Hope you feel better Sans. We can discuss the first couple of chapters another day. I'm also read Dead Reckoning. I'm almost done.

message 41: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Sans, Are you up for reading again?

message 42: by Sans (new)

Sans Yep. I'll read chapters 3 and 4 tonight. ^_^

message 43: by Lisarenee (last edited May 08, 2011 07:04PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I've read through chapter 4.

- Right now I can't believe the 2 still haven't figured who the other is. I didn't peek to the meeting.

- It was interesting that Rhapsody had issues with the past. She just never seemed to. I like the fact she is now empowered with skills and independence that allow her to defend and choose for herself.

- New powers being revealed by both Rhapsody and Ashe are kind of fun. Her being able to find a safe path through a river bed. Ashe being able to dry things with a touch and could command the river to be more gentle was interesting. Will look forward to finding out more about his powers.

- I wonder what significance the dreams have? Are they truly predictions or her fears? I hope they are the latter.

- What did you think of the attack on Rhapsody by Ashe? I was totally taken by surprise by that one. Seemed really paranoid. Would you choose truth or lie and potentially put someone in danger?

- I liked the mistranslations which allowed Rhapsody to tell Ashe truthfully that she had no clue what he was trying to say.

- Do you think anyone from Rhapsody's sorted path will still be alive and make trouble for her?

message 44: by Sans (new)

Sans 1. Right?? I keep thinking that if they just SAID something to the other, it would all be sorted in a matter of minutes!

2. I felt the same. Unless she was so busy just staying alive and keeping Achmed's goal of the new Fir Bolg kingdom at the front of all her thoughts and actions that she hasn't had the time to dwell on the past yet? She's alone with a virtual stranger now and has more time to think than she has previously.

3. I'm looking forward to finding out anything about Ashe! I can totally see why Gaijinmama loves him so much. ^o^

4. I think they are a mix of both. Her powers as a Namer make her more susceptible to premonitions than other people, but so much of her personality is wrapped up in her past that it's difficult to tell.

5. I was surprised too! I wondered when he would confront her about his suspicions, but an all out attack was not what I was expecting. That's a very interesting question you posed. If I was in the same state, mentally, that Rhapsody seems to be in, I would not lie and potentially put someone else at risk. She's clinically depressed and seems to have some suicidal tendencies. She doesn't expect to live long so why should she fear death? If I felt that way, I could easily take it one step further and wish death would come that much sooner.

6. Those mis-translations made me laugh out loud! Loved it! And she was being totally honest: She had no clue what he was trying to say. Clever girl!

7. Her personal past? No, I don't think so. The First Fleet sailed long after her family would have been alive and well, so I think anyone that came over from her village would be removed by a few generations. I still want to know when that asshat General is going to show up again. Remember him?

Babe, how did you want to run the discussions we have for this book? Want to do what you did today and post a few points of interest or go the way Lisa Kay and I have our buddy reads go and switch off posting discussion questions/points?

Thank you again for reading this with me! I would never have gotten to it otherwise!

message 45: by Lisarenee (last edited May 09, 2011 05:02AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments We could switch off like you and Lisa do. Just post things you found interesting or things you wonder about.

What do you want to read up to next? Chapter 6?

message 46: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I was thinking about Ashe and Rhapsody and how they don't know each other. I keep forgetting they only saw each other one night if I remember correctly. Also, they hadn't seen each other in over a 1000 years was it? Can't remember anymore how many years had passed. I don't think I'd remember a face or a voice from that long ago from a brief meeting either. No matter how glorious it was. lol

message 47: by Sans (new)

Sans Sounds good! Yep, let's read 5 & 6 today and I'll post some points that interested me or I had questions on.

That's such a good point. The fact that after all those years and the all but certainty that "Emily" will never show up, he's still devoted to her. I believe it's been over 1,400 years. I think Ashe is a second or third generation, right? Because his Grandmother is one of the three dragon daughters? Would he really live as long? Or is it because of his dragon blood that he's basically immortal?

message 48: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Well he did travel through time, but I wonder how old he really is?

message 49: by Sans (new)

Sans Good point! He crossed the Meridian, but not physically. Hmmm...

Sorry, I didn't get the reading done yesterday. It was just too crazy at work and home. I'm going to read during lunch today (if I get one). ~_~

message 50: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I'll wait. I'm reading 2 other books as well.

« previous 1 3 4