Serial Killers discussion

Favorites....

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Carroll | 5 comments Thomas Harris, Patricia Cornwell, James patterson, Lisa Jackson and Karen Slaughter to name a few.

message 2: by Sandybeach (new)

Sandybeach (5andybeach) | 21 comments John Katzenbach, James Patterson, John Sandford, Michael Weaver, Jonathon Kellerman, Tess Gerritsen, Alex Kava, Lisa Jackson, Karen Slaughter, Lee Child, Scott Frost, and many more.

message 3: by aprilla (new)

aprilla I just finished Abandoned by Cody McFayden, 4th in the Smokey Barrett series... an unusual serial killer in this one ;)

message 4: by Dick (new)

Dick Peterson (dickpeterson) | 15 comments Here is a batch of serial killer books that have stuck in my mind over the years for all the right reasons:

Mortal Fear by Greg Iles
Dead Sleep by Greg Iles
Deviant Way by Richard Montanari
Mercy by David Lindsay
Scavenger by Tom V. Savage

message 5: by Sandybeach (new)

Sandybeach (5andybeach) | 21 comments I've recently read "American Devil" by Oliver Stark. It's his first book and I really enjoyed it.

message 6: by aprilla (new)

aprilla Sandybeach wrote: "I've recently read "American Devil" by Oliver Stark. It's his first book and I really enjoyed it."

Sounds interesting :) I'm adding it to my huge TBR lol
I'm in the middle of a Karin Slaughter kick, not really serial killer stuff but I'm enjoying them all the same. Will be on the lookout for something after, this might just do the trick.

message 7: by Sandybeach (new)

Sandybeach (5andybeach) | 21 comments I keep fogetting to check my TBR list and end up just finding random new authors while trawling through book shops. American Devil was one of those.

message 8: by aprilla (last edited Aug 20, 2011 04:23AM) (new)

aprilla Dick wrote: "Here is a batch of serial killer books that have stuck in my mind over the years for all the right reasons:

Mortal Fear by Greg Iles
Dead Sleep by Greg Iles
Deviant Way by Richard Montanari
M..."

I'm going to start Mortal Fear today soon! (got some work!), but I'm really looking forward to it :)

message 9: by Dick (last edited Aug 25, 2011 09:28AM) (new)

Dick Peterson (dickpeterson) | 15 comments aprilla wrote: "Dick wrote: "Here is a batch of serial killer books that have stuck in my mind over the years for all the right reasons..."

Hey aprilla,

I'll be interested to know what you think when you are done. Greg Iles is a superb suspense writer. Many people classify him as Southern Gothic.

Do you have a Kindle? If you do, you might check out my book - By the Light: A Novel of Serial Homicide. It is primarily a serial killer story, but there are romantic sparks between the profiler and the journalist/author who makes it her business to follow every step of the investigation. You can also get the free Kindle app for your PC, Mac, iWhatever, or Android and read it on one of those. If you read it, by all means, please let me hear your thoughts about it.

I wish happy, interesting, and scary reading for you.

www.tinyurl.com/bythelight will take you to my book's Amazon page.

Regards,
Dick

message 10: by The Pirate Ghost (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) I've been pretty fond of the Bower's Files by Steven James. The Pawn, The Rook, The Knight, The Bishop, The Queen: A Patrick Bowers Thriller by Steven James.

I've found the entire series enjoyable.

message 11: by Dick (new)

Dick Peterson (dickpeterson) | 15 comments Back in July, I provided a list of favorite novels about serial killers. Since then, I've read one that beats the rest. It is The Poet by Michael Connelly. After I read it on my Kindle, I bought the trade paperback for my wife. We both agree that it might be the best suspense novel we've ever read. It surely is the best we've read in quite some time. In the trade paperback, the foreword was written by none other than Stephen King. He said it is Connelly's best. Some of Stephen's books are up my alley and some are not. Regardless, I believe him to be the best storyteller alive on planet. He knows a good story when he sees one, and his flattery of The Poet was right on target.

message 12: by Sandybeach (new)

Sandybeach (5andybeach) | 21 comments The Poet was one of my favourites too. When I went to buy it years ago, I bought the wrong book by mistake - "The Psalm Killer" by Chris Petit. That book scared the crap out of me at the time. It was a hard read in some ways. Set in 1985 in Belfast in the thick of IRA violence and secrecy, Detective Inspector Cross is after a killer in an environment where political and sexual terror form part of the same deep trap. Although this is fiction, the hairs on the back of your neck go up when you read the Glossary at the end of the book and realise that many of the characters and references in the book were real.

message 13: by Dick (new)

Dick Peterson (dickpeterson) | 15 comments Thanks, Sandy, I'm going to give that one a look. Getting recommendations for bonafide crap-scaring books is a good thing.

message 14: by Sandybeach (new)

Sandybeach (5andybeach) | 21 comments If it had been all fiction it would be just one of many books, but the mix of fact within the story makes it a bit different. I read it a long time ago and who knows, if I read it again now (after a years of reading graphic crime books)it may not be as intense. The IRA and extremist groups were certainly very violent and swift in their punishment of disloyalty or exposed informants.

message 15: by Dick (new)

Dick Peterson (dickpeterson) | 15 comments I've looked at the blurbs and reviews of The Psalm Killer. It is out of print, and there is not a Kindle version. I'm impressed enough that I put a $3.99 used copy with Amazon fulfillment in my shopping cart at Amazon. With my Amazon Prime, I will get free two-day shipping. I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet but probably will. The delay is due to contemplation as to whether with it out of print Petit will do himself a favor and republish it on his own as Kindle book. I know several writers who are doing that or are itching to do it as soon as their publishers take their books out of print. I've only read one printed book since getting my Kindle three Februaries ago.

I understand what you are saying about the passsage of time. Stuff we read or watched long ago sometimes tends to work like that gum we stuck on the bedpost overnight. I can remember watching with The Andromeda Strain with my wife and my stepdaughters when they were high schoolers. Suzie and I had told the girls how exciting and intense the ending was. Not only were they not impressed. Neither were we. Movies and their special effects nowadays have spoiled us for going back for rewatches like that. Now, the book read again, given that my imagination is as up to date as movie technology, might still be as intense and exciting as remembered.

Take a look at A Real Piece of Work by Chris Orcutt. It is not scary, rather more along the lines of Spenser detective books. Chris is a friend, and he just broke into the Kindle Top 100 list over the weekend. It's a great read.

message 16: by Sandybeach (last edited Feb 14, 2012 03:41AM) (new)

Sandybeach (5andybeach) | 21 comments I'm just looking through Kindle books at the moment, so will add it to the list.

So many of my favourite books are out of print and it's so frustrating when you can't get them on Kindle either. I have my copy of The Psalm Killer sitting right next to me on the lounge. :^) I never throw out favourite books ..... although I have now run out of shelves and am starting to collect piles of books around the bed. It's why the Kindle was the best thing I ever bought.

message 17: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 11 comments I never read any of those books

message 18: by Dick (new)

Dick Peterson (dickpeterson) | 15 comments That you are perusing the Serial Killers group and that you say you haven't read The Poet tells me you should read it right away. It is the best suspense novel I've ever read, it is twisty and turny, its serial killer is diabolical, and it grab you from the get-go and won't let you loose until the last page.

I notice that you are in a Romantic Suspense group. Take a look at Sandra Brown's Envy. It is my favorite romantic suspense novel. It is steamy as regards both romance and suspense. When I write romance into my suspense, I use it as the standard.

message 19: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 11 comments I sometimes like to read those sandra brown books

message 20: by Sandybeach (new)

Sandybeach (5andybeach) | 21 comments For those who are interested in starting to read serial killer style fiction I usually recommend reading 'Postmortem' by Patricia Cornwell and 'Kiss the Girls' by James Patterson

message 21: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 11 comments I wouldn't like to read those books

message 22: by Sandybeach (new)

Sandybeach (5andybeach) | 21 comments What serial killer fiction authors are you interested in?

message 23: by aprilla (new)

aprilla Hi Steve.... Small Sacrifices: A True Story of Passion and Murder and Fatal Vision are the books that hooked me on True Crime.
There's a lot of good books recommended in this group :)