Bright Young Things discussion

Group Reads Archive > The Viceroy's Daughters - Whole Book Thread

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ally (new)

Ally (goodreadscomuser_allhug) | 1653 comments Mod
This thread is to discuss the whole of

The Viceroy's Daughters The Lives of the Curzon Sisters (Women in History) by Anne de Courcy The Viceroy's Daughters: The Lives of the Curzon Sisters by Anne de Courcy

message 2: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1526 comments My book finally came today.

So I can't wait to get started.

message 3: by Ally (new)

I love Anne De Courcy's engaging style of writing - its making this an easy read. She seems to be able to pick out the most colourful people and episodes in the lives of the main 'characters' in order to add sparkle to their story.

message 4: by Ally (new)

Its such a shame that discussion for this month's non-fiction group read hasn't taken off. I would encourage group members to maybe pick this up at some point in the future as its quite fascinating - particularly the alternative view you get of the rise of fascism (Mosely's Blackshirts), the affair of the prince of wales and wallis simpson and the way that government in England was such a closed shop - a kind of 'old boys network'.

Ally

message 5: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1526 comments I've just barely started. I will try and make some progress in the next few days. I also have a biography of Mosley by his son Nicholas.

message 6: by Bronwyn (new)

Bronwyn (nzfriend) | 651 comments I do really want to read this, it just wasn't going to ever work this month. :/

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna I know we've finished with this book but I just wanted to say that last night I watched a documentary called The Real King's Speech. Needless to say, it was actually about the speech therapy received by King George and had obviously been put together on the back of the film.

However, it did feature an extensive interview with Nicholas Mosely, son of Tom and Cimmie who we've been reading about in this book. He's a reasonably elderly man now but still carries a stammer with him. He too, was treated by Logue for his speech impediment. What was interesting was that he talked about his relationship with his father and how it was his father's bullying tactics that caused him to stammer so badly from a young age. It was a very interesting production from C4.

message 8: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1526 comments Anna wrote: "I know we've finished with this book but I just wanted to say that last night I watched a documentary called The Real King's Speech. Needless to say, it was actually about the speech therapy recei..."

I think I have mentioned this before but he did write about his father in Rules of the Game, I think. I picked it up years ago at a used book sale. I still have it floating around my house somewhere. I haven't picked it up for a while.