RevWar Revolutionary War Book Club discussion

Welcome!

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steve (new)

Steve Boothe (Smoothe_1) | 49 comments Mod
We're glad you've joined the RevWar Revolutionary War Book Club. Please feel free to take a moment to post here and introduce yourself. Let us know what interests you and what you'd types of RevWar books you would like us to read together. If you have authored any books or articles, please be sure to let us know and leave us a link.

message 2: by Steve (new)

My name is Steve Boothe. I live near Buffalo, NY with my wife and 4 kids. Despite a really busy household, I'd like to read more about the Revolutionary War. My interest stems from being in elementary school during the Bicentennial celebrations (oops! I'm dating myself!). This has created a lifelong interest in the Revolution and Founding of our country. When I became interested in genealogy and found that I had some ancestors that served in the RevWar, I began to dig deeper into my RevWar interest, mainly through books.

I look forward to reading all types of RevWar books with you: biographies, books on battles, and fiction that is related to the struggle for independence. I expect to have a lot of fun with this group.

message 3: by Amber (new)

Amber | 3 comments Hmm, well, where shall I start? I am a SD native, but I have lived in SC for almost three years.I have been interested in the Revolutionary War since 8th grade. However, when I went to Williamsburg, Va almost three years ago, my life changed forever. I walked away from Colonial Williamsburg and Yorktown battlefield feeling like I was missing something. My mom encouraged me to get some books to read on the Revolutionary War and I did. I started with David Mcullough's 1776 and John Ferling's Almost a Miracle. Ever since then, I was hooked. I have never read another fiction book in my life (unless it is historical fiction about the Revolutionary War) since then. I have traveled to Mount Vernon, Virginia;Cowpens, Sc, Camden, SC, Guilford Courthouse, NC, Ninety Six, SC for reenactments. The more I went to reenactments, the more I fell head over heels for the 18th century and the Revolutionary War. My love began to increase even more when I discovered that I am related to Continental Soldiers, and possibly some Patriot leaders. The Revolutionary War is sooo inspiring and awesome, I am proud that I am part of that story. In fact, the Revolutionary War has inspired me so much that I am writing a story about it. My story is about the unknown and unsung heroes of the Revolution: the American POW's. I hope to get it published someday.
I look forward to many exciting discussions about the Revolutionary War as we share books and facts about this wonderful story.

message 4: by Steve (new)

Amber wrote: "...I have traveled to Mount Vernon, Virginia;Cowpens, Sc, Camden, SC, Guilford Courthouse, NC, Ninety Six, SC for reenactments. The more I went to reenactments, the more I fell head over heels for the 18th century and the Revolutionary War...."

Thanks for including this info in your introduction, Amber. It gave me the thought that perhaps we could have a discussion topic relating to any battlefields or other RevWar related sites we may have visited. It would also be nice if we could post some pictures from those visits. BTW, our group's profile pic is from my visit to the Bennington Battle monument in VT. It is of Col. (later General) John Stark.

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather (thebookstand) | 6 comments Hi, all. My name is Heather Walls. I live near Baltimore, Maryland. If you're looking for spectrum in the group, I'm it! LOL I enjoy reading historical fiction, but concentrated mostly on the Civil War era. I'm interested in reading more about the Revolutionary War, central figures as well as different perspectives. I look forward to learning much from all of you!

message 6: by Mark (new)

Mark Singer (markesinger) | 16 comments My name is Mark Singer and I live near Philadelphia, PA, which is where I was raised. Around here you can trip over the many battlefields, sites and monuments but many are not as well known as they should be. The RevWar has always been an interest of mine, and there was a plaque two blocks from my childhood home commemorating a skirmish between Continentals and British troops on the eve of the Battle of Germantown. In the Spring of 2010 I took a history course on the RevWar.

message 7: by Angie (new)

Angie | 8 comments Hi everyone!! My name is Angela DiPaolo. I live in Denver, Colorado and I am currently a history graduate student at the University of Colorado at Denver. I'm majoring in American history with an emphasis on 16th and 17th century America,and a minor in Public history. I've always had an interest in the Rev War, especially the social aspects of life during the war. I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you and reading some great books!

message 8: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 2 comments Hi all, my name is Jillian Pearson. I live in Morro Bay, California and am currently researching graduate programs in American History with a focus in Public History. Angie, please tell me how you like your program, teachers, etc.! I am a lifelong lover of history and have my bachelor's in American History. I am especially interested in Native Americans and their involvement in the founding of our nation. I just finished Chenrow's biography on Washington and visited Philadelphia for the first time. Both reawakened a love for the era of the founding fathers and inspired me to read more! I won't be able to read Lafayette in time with the group but it is close to the top of my list.

message 9: by Angie (new)

Angie | 8 comments Hi Jillian! Well there is so much to tell about the program. We are a small department because we are just a satellite of the Boulder campus, but we have excellent professors. Our Public History program mainly focuses on Historic Preservation and Museum studies, so it really depends what part of Public History you are interested in. We are active in some of the living history of the west at the various sites around the state, but if you like archiving then the University of Denver has an excellent masters in archival science. What part of Public history are you interested in?

message 10: by Larry (new)

Larry Moniz (larrymoniz) | 4 comments Hi everyone. I'm Larry Moniz, journalist, writer and author (two books published) and putting finishing touches on an adventure/time travel novel in which a pair of computer company employees travel back in time and foil a plot to prevent the Declaration of Independence from being completed. You can visit my website: LarryMoniz.org to learn more about me. Best to all.

message 11: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 2 comments Hi Larry! Good to have you aboard. Angie, I am mainly focusing on Native Americans and I also am interested in our nation's founding fathers and all of our Presidents. I'm not sure what path I'll be taking within the Public History program yet, but I'm excited to get started!

message 12: by Angie (new)

Angie | 8 comments Well Jillian, it sounds like you have a good sense of what you want to be studying. I didn't know what aspect of public history I wanted to do when I first started, and after a few classes it clear to me that I loved Museum studies. Experimenting is the best way to learn what really interests you!