Edgar Allan Poe discussion

How did you meet Mr. Poe?

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christy B (new)

Christy B (runaway84) | 8 comments Mod
The first memory I have of reading his work was my junior year of high school. We had to read The Fall Of The House Of Usher. Everyone in my class found it boring, but I found it immensely interesting. And thus my love affair with the man began.

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (stellar_raven) | 2 comments Sophomore year of high school for me. We read The Raven, The Tell-tale Heart, The Fall of the House of Usher, and The Cask of Amontillado. Like Christy, most of my classmates found them boring, but I was hooked. Our Lit book had The Masque of the Red Death in it too, and while we didn't read it for class, I read it on my own.

message 3: by Havocvoodoo (new)

Havocvoodoo (wwwgoodreadscomprofilehavocvoodo) | 2 comments High school English class about 20 years ago or so. I don't remember which story it was that actually started my addiction, but I remember we read The Black Cat, Murders in the Rue Morgue, Annabelle Lee, and naturally The Raven. I also remember Mr. Harding reading The Bells aloud to the class and it was just...wow. After that, there was no going back. A few years ago I sat at Poe's grave and read The Raven aloud. I was a nervous wreck and messed up in a few places, but I figure he understands.

message 4: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 4 comments Marge, what a perfect way to meet Poe, what great ambiance. I can't really pinpoint a moment in time where I first read Poe, although I know it was in high school (many moons ago). I do know that I love his stories and poems. I even have a bobble head of Edgar on one of my bookshelves. I enjoy reading non-fiction about Poe, too, and other fictional works with or about Poe, such as The Poe Shadow by Matthew Pearl and The Pale Blue Eye (yet to be read).

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Christy, I have environmental illness and can really identify with The Fall of the House of Usher. Some who have EI think its like porphyria. I am extremely allergic/sensitive to ordinary things like hairspray that can make me very sick and even cause me to fall over!

I first got really interested in Poe in about 5th grade when a friend just loved him. She talked about him quite a bit so I got more interested. I have never found him to be boring and finally got his collected works. I love the rhythms in his poetry and memorized The Raven for my 100 lines of required poetry in high school. I also love The Bells!!

I also have a group for another favorite of mine who is Norah Lofts. If you are also a fan of Norah Lofts please join us.
Alice

message 6: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 2 comments I had heard of some of his works so I read The Tell Tale Heart and got hooked on his short stories.

message 7: by Cari (new)

Cari (carimae20) | 2 comments Luckily I had an avid reader as a mother. She gave me a collection of Poe's poetry when I was about 6 yrs old.

I remember the cover of the book as a cartoon type picture of a rven perched on a skull. That alone grabbed my interest.

Then the words on the page...
"Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary..."
"The Raven" and "Alone" quicky became my favorite poems.

Not long after that Mom bought me a collection of his short stories. And then a couple years later she bought me the unabridged works of Poe.

So thank you Mom, for making the introduction.

message 8: by Gary (last edited Apr 12, 2010 08:10PM) (new)

Gary | 17 comments Freshman year in high school. We read the Masque of Red Death,and I was hooked. Sophomore year TELL TALE HEART, and the rest is history. I got a paperback book of a collection of stories,and the thing literally fell apart , I read it so much.
It wasn't till college that I got hooked on THE RAVEN,and other poetry. Then a few years passed,and I wasn't into it so much, then in 2000, my wife gave me a complete edition of his works,and I began to read him again,and went totally nuts over him. I did several events this past year for the 200th anniversary of his birth,and Rob Viella had a daily blog about Poe,and I ordered his daily calendar,and read it each day. I am a Poe Fanatic now. The cream of it all was a trip to Kansas city to see a one man show of Poe's works acted out to an electric guitar played in the background. It was awesome. We also did an Edgar Allan Poe haunted house,and we screamed all through it. It was great fun. The haunted house had a full scale replica of poe's gravesite in baltimore, fog,and raven included. i just stood there amazed!

I am a moderator of another group of Poe's stories on here if anyone is interested in being a member on there. We try to discuss his stories. The picture on the group is the TELL TALE ELECTRIC POE show that we saw. A friend of mine got me the poster that advertised it,and I put it up on my house for Halloween trick or treaters to see with a spotlight on it.

I also was able to go to a bird zoo in the area where I live,and they had a raven that you could stand close to, and pet,and also he took dollar bills out of your hand as donations. That really thrilled me. I have all about this on my group page.

Anyway, enough on that. I love Poe!

message 10: by Cesar (new)

Cesar Gealogo (cesargealogo) | 2 comments Never in person but I have meet him in pages of the Philippine Literature wherein his famous poems are included for readings and appreciation. That was 1992 while I am still in high school.

message 11: by Historybuff93 (new)

Historybuff93 I first met Edgar on a winter evening when I was twelve with The Pit and the Pendulum. Been a huge fan ever since.

message 12: by Irina (new)

Irina (andevolet) There were many persons, including one best friend and my english teacher from the 9th grade, who wanted to introduce me to Poe's writings. But at that time I didn't pay enough attention. Until one summer day when I've discovered Matthew Gray Gubler's web site. There he recites if I may say so "Annabel Lee", it was wonderful.

message 13: by Irfan (new)

Irfan | 1 comments I had this literature professor in Morocco who was crazy about Poe and called him as his spiritual father. Days came and went, there I was, under his spell and then Poe's.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

10th grade A Beka literature. Before, I had always thought Poe was a dark, wicked, horrible author, so I was surprised to see one of his works in my Christian curriculum. I had first been attracted to the picture, which was a blue eye, and then I noticed that Poe wrote this story, which was called The Tell-tale Heart. When I read it, I thought Poe was stupidly horrific, but then I started thinking about the whole story in general--as opposed to only the parts I didn't like. Also in that curriculum were The Raven and The Bells, both of which grew on me. I started reading more Poe, and realized that he's not only a horror author, though not all of his stories are good. He's now one of my favorite authors. Last Christmas, a friend got me The Essential Tales and Poems, and I am really enjoying it!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Irfan wrote: "I had this literature professor in Morocco who was crazy about Poe and called him as his spiritual father. Days came and went, there I was, under his spell and then Poe's."

LOL!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Historybuff93 wrote: "I first met Edgar on a winter evening when I was twelve with The Pit and the Pendulum. Been a huge fan ever since."

Great start! I see why you liked him from the start! That's my favorite of all his works!

message 17: by Chris (new)

Chris (bibliophile85) | 2 comments When I was about eight years old one Christmas, I received a book from my grandmother containing the Poe stories "The Tell Tale Heart" "The Fall of the House of Usher" and "The Cask of Amontillado"

The book was clearly geared for children as an introduction to Poe and had illustrations as well. Interestingly enough, it did not shy away from the more macabre materiel or sugar coat it the way most kiddy books do with horror. That was my first introduction to Poe.

Read me two times my first was The tell-tale heart and I was 11-12, I think. then all the others came (and the poems too) *__*

message 19: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (19thcenturybibliophile) | 3 comments Third grade, my class was given an assignment to research a random author of American Literature. Poe was on the list, and I chose him because his name appealed to me (dealing with the mindset of an eight year old here, mind you). I fell in love instantly. Thirteen years later, and after just having completed an intern at the Poe museum this summer and continuing on to work with them, I'd say he's stuck with me all of these years.

message 20: by Gary (new)

Gary | 17 comments Awesome, Kelly! I am jealous!

message 21: by Medusa (new)

Medusa Dracul (VampChick2015) | 1 comments I have to agree with Christy B...my first time reading Mr. Poe's work...was in high school...and still reading him today!
And i have Vincent Price's the Raven and John Cusack's The Raven which i adore so much!

message 22: by Dimitriy (new)

Dimitriy (dkaplan25) | 2 comments deleted user wrote: "10th grade A Beka literature. Before, I had always thought Poe was a dark, wicked, horrible author, so I was surprised to see one of his works in my Christian curriculum. I had first been attract..."

Well since it's been included in the christian curriculum, I suppose it's alright if he's a favorite.

message 23: by James (last edited Feb 05, 2016 06:37AM) (new)

James Williamson | 1 comments I cannot remember my first experience of Edgar's work, nor can I recall the first time I heard the Raven.

However, context is everything with writing and art. My reintroduction --through an old and dusty book on a shelf in a hospital chapel whilst my dad was on life support from a brain aneurysm-- had me in the moment and I could relate to his words with a new-found appreciation.

I have since performed the Raven for myself. Feel free to find it on google play and itunes and let me know what you think. It is a poem that I always recite. I have my opinions on what the poem really is about, but still working that theory over with myself.

message 24: by Preben (last edited Jul 04, 2016 04:46PM) (new)

Preben | 2 comments I had heard a little about Poe but didn't actually know what to expect when I stood in a book store with a collection of Poe short stories in my hand. At that time I was around 15 and it might have been the frontside which decided it cos it was a horrific picture of a frightened man tied to a bed with a pendul just above his chest. The collection was small and contained 7 or 8 of his most famous stories (I later bought several Poe books in Danish, my first language, and a few in English). Since then I've been a big admirerer of this extraordinary author

Read me two times Rafael wrote: "I'm new here! So hello everyone! I met Poe when I randomly downloaded The tell-tale heart from the feedbooks store. I still reread it every once in a while. It's my all time favourite now."

that was my first too *__* and it was love at first reading!!!

message 26: by Preben (new)

Preben | 2 comments It's an amazing story :) I recall how I identified with the butler though he was clearly mad. I admired his murderous plan and felt his fear for the visious eye

message 27: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (miwfan4life) | 3 comments I was introduced to Poe when I was in the 8th grade my English teacher had us read The Raven and The Tall-Tale Heart once I read The Raven I was hooked I wanted to read more poems by Poe. My English teacher took the whole class on a field trip we went to the Poe House and to the cemetery where he is buried. I am now 22 and my love for Poe is still there I get my love for Poe from my dad's older sister she loves Poe just as much as I do.

message 28: by David Meditationseed (last edited May 14, 2018 08:17AM) (new)

David Meditationseed | 1 comments My first contact happened when I was still a teenager in the 1990s and I was in a old library looking for some suspense / horror book. That's when I met Raven. After an interlude of several years, I deepened in his tales, and in 2016 I became an admirer of all his literary work. Nowadays Poe is one of my preferred authors.

message 29: by Rene (new)

Rene Bard (reneeldabard) | 1 comments When I was 12, a camp counselor read Poe's short stories to us after lights out. It scared some (like me) and put others to sleep.

message 30: by duda ☆ (last edited Apr 19, 2020 03:18PM) (new)

duda ☆ (_madufernandes_) | 1 comments I love the song "You're so dark", by Arctic Monkeys, that says:
"You got your H.P. Lovecraft
Your Edgar Allan Poe
You got your unkind of ravens
And your murder of crows [...]"
I always loved the morbid vibe of the song, but I didn't know who Edgar Allan Poe was. So, I discovered my father had "Tales of the Grotesque and Arabesque". I read it, and I fell in love with it.
Now Poe's my favorite author, thank you Arctic Monkeys!

message 31: by Liam (new)

Liam Malone (liam316) | 2 comments I'm 60 now but in my late 20s I had the Raven committed to memory. I can still recite stanzas.

message 32: by Philip (new)

Philip Swärd (philipsward) | 1 comments Poe’s work first caught my eyes through the tv-series ‘The Following’, whereas my interest for this poetic author sprout. Now, seven years later, I’ve read some, not all, of his novels and poems and are ultimately stuck in his language by heart.

message 33: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 7 comments I read his poems in English class, and I believe I started reading his stories on my own time and before I knew it I had found a new horror companion in him and haven't looked back since.