Ms. Orner's Humanities 10 A/F discussion

28 views
Meatcognitive Log #2 - Due Mon 1/31 by Midnight!

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ms. Orner (last edited Jan 29, 2011 03:33PM) (new)

Ms. Orner | 80 comments Mod
Apologies to those of you early birds who wanted to get a head start on this yesterday or this morning. I’ve been sick as a dog (anyone know where this expression comes from?) and have been unable to do much of anything.

So, now that you’re all experienced Goodreads posters, I’m going to ask you to please make sure your response is a minimum of 250 words. For this week’s log, I’d like you to respond to the following questions:

1. What is the title/author of the book you are reading (please say if this is the same book you wrote about before). What page are you on?
2. How is the reading going? Where do you do most of your reading? Are you finding that this works for you – why or why not?
3. What do you like about your book so far? Dislike?
4. If you could ask the author of your book any question, what would it be and why?


message 2: by Ms. Orner (last edited Jan 29, 2011 01:18PM) (new)

Ms. Orner | 80 comments Mod
I am still reading The No-Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley and am now on page 94. So far, the reading of my book is going ok. It’s hard to find time in the day to actually read, but when I do, I can get through a lot because the writing style is very engaging and I have a real purpose to my reading. I find that I do most of my reading at home while trying to get my daughter to sleep. I have to say that the clip- on reading light is one of the best inventions ever made!

So far, I really like a couple things about this book. The first is its tone. The author has a very personable, friendly voice that I find reassuring. She doesn’t make the reader feel bad because he/she is struggling to get his/her child to sleep. The other thing I really like about this book is that it is very practical. There are worksheets and strategies that you can tailor to your particular situation. I haven’t started using the logs, and I am so tempted to skip ahead to find out what all the strategies are so that I can begin testing them out.

If I could ask Elizabeth Pantley anything, I would ask her how she managed to sleep train not one but four(!) children. Knowing how much work one child is, I am impressed by people who have multiple children, especially twins and other multiples. Makes me exhausted just thinking about it.


message 3: by Tyara (new)

Tyara Walker | 6 comments I am still reading Nasty by Dr. XyZ and I am actually done with my book. My book was so good and I never wanted to put it down. During reading my book, I read in my room on my bed, in class during SSR, or at lunch. I found reading in my room and during SSR worked out great because it was quiet and I had no distractions to pull me away from my book. Reading at lunch was a little more harder, depending on the day, I was usually able to read at least 10-15 pages. The only time it got hard was when people kept talking to me or being super loud right next to me. Other than that, I’d put on calm soothing music and read my book.

A couple of things I really liked about my book was how the author wrote the characters. She made each character different in unique ways. For example, one main character named Nicola became a hoe but only because of what had happened in her past. Another thing I liked was the moral of the story. Although, I couldn’t configure the moral until I sat and thought about the entire book, after I finished it completely . The only I didn’t like was that the book got confusing at times because the author would go back and forth with each main character’s story. Other than that, I’d say this was one of the best books I’ve ever read so far.

If I could ask my author anything, I’d ask her how working with rape/abuse victims, people who are in jail, and homeless people have affected her. In my opinion, that would be such a difficult job for me but i'd feel good about having that job because I would be helping people out and talking to them.


message 4: by Josh (new)

Josh | 5 comments I am currently reading The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne. It is the same book I was reading last time I posted. I am currently on hour 3 of 5 hours of the audio book. The reading is going great because it is easy to comprehend and I can relate it to what we are learning about in class. I do my reading on the shuttle on the way to and from school.
I don't like goodreads because everyone can see what I have posted. It is also very hard to know when you are going to post the new Metacognitive log because what the board says is different from when you actually post the questions.
I like the book so far because it is easy to relate what the book is about to what we are learning about in class, and that helps because it makes it easer to know what is going on in the book. One question I have for the author is “Why did you decide to write about Auschwitz and about World War 2 instead of something less of a traumatic experience?”


message 5: by Annie (new)

Annie | 7 comments I'm still reading Before I Die by Jenny Downham. I am now on page 77 and am going through this book really quickly. I'm glad I'm reading this book because I think it's really interesting and never seem to get bored of it. My mind usually wanders off when I'm reading a book but that's not the case with this book. I do most of my reading during SSR, which should be enough time for me to finish the book by the due date because during SSR I read through the book pretty fast. This is working out just fine for me because I always pick up exactly where I left off and never get confused or lost when reading the book. There's nothing I really dislike about my book, but it gets a little annoying when the author doesn't tell you exactly what's going on; you have to figure it out by the way the author implies what the situation is. However, I still really like this book. I like the way it was written and I really like the plot of this book. It's very inspiring and has a lot of meaning to it. The message the author is trying to send the reader is very thoughtful.
If I could ask the author one question, it would be, "Where did you get the idea/inspiration to write a book like this?


message 6: by Sirague (new)

Sirague | 6 comments I am still reading The Exception to the Rulers by Amy Goodman. I am now on page 66 and I find myself re-reading quite often. I think its because it doesn't make sense the first time due to the fact that there is alot of complicated language and many abbreviations for military type things. The reading is going great otherwise. I am enjoying my book because it has a lot of interesting information about some shady things that are going on. I am doing most of my reading in SSR because that is usually the only place I can get peace and quiet. Also it is a familiar reading environment which helps me when I read. Its going good so far because I feel I am making good progress in my book and I get my reading done without breaks. The part I like about my book is it has a lot of interesting facts that you would never think of but the one thing I dislike about it is there is so many names I forget who is who. I also dislike it because I think it might be a book with an adult target audience that knows more about politics than I do. I feel sort of left behind if you know what I mean. If I could ask the author anything it would be "What compelled you to write this book, the money or getting the story out?" as well as, "How long did it take you to write this book?"


message 7: by Ray (new)

Ray Mullin | 5 comments I’m still reading the same book Lady Sings the Blues, by Billie Holiday and William Dufty. I am on page 100 exactly. The process of reading the book is fine, I usually just read before going to sleep every several days for a lengthy period of time. This works dandy. I really enjoy the book, in the way It’s written and how she describes some people or things is very reminiscent of one of my favorite books, The Catcher in the Rye. Except rather being about a fictional moreover spoiled white kid who simply doesn’t feeling like going to school, It’s an autobiography of Billie Holiday, who talks about her many real troubles, in a very humorous, well written way. She talks about the constant trouble of segregation, of getting raped when she was ten, of having to stay in jail for an unfair reason, of having to work tirelessly everyday to survive, of heroin addiction, and of being consistently broke, even despite her fame; (when she died only 70 cents was found in her bank). I really like the aspect of how real her troubles were, It’s enjoyable to read of such an idol personally describe her experiences and problems. Whereas in The Catcher in the Rye, the main character fails out of multiple high schools, something I can sort of relate to, something that almost inspires me to not go to school myself. Though after reading about how the author, J.D. Salinger, himself had gone through all of high school and college, It made me realize that I probably should not entirely idolize a fictional character. If Billie Holiday was still around I’d want to ask her a whole lot, but most of all I might ask her If she had ever read The Catcher in the Rye herself, and if she took inspiration in it in writing her book.


message 8: by Monisha (new)

Monisha (motoomuch) | 4 comments I am still reading Doing It by Melvin Burgess and in currently on page 198. this is the same book from the first post. Well my reading is going horrible i can never sit down and read for a long period of time. I am doing most of my reading at home trying to lock myself up in my rooom. Me reading at home period is not working for me at all, because it's been really busy lately. Also i dont think it is working for me because i've been really distracted with other things. I like my book because it is funny and pretty much have guys figured out in the book. i just don't like the way they talk in the book because they have their own kind of lingo and i don't understand it. If i was to ask the author a question i would just ask what made him write a book like this. And Also was he just like the boys inside the book.


message 9: by Konrad (new)

Konrad Kubicki | 6 comments The title of my book is The Deep by the author Peter Benchley. The reading so far is pretty good and enjoyable. The plot is starting to thicken, whcih is always good. More characters are being added on to the story. I am doing most of my reading in my bed at night before I go to bed, I find that I do that a lot during winter when it's cold. This method works for me because I'm not usually disturbed in my room and have a lot of privacy to read. I like that my book has characters that have backround. The author really manages to let you know everything there is to know about these characters, and takes the first 50 pages talking about them, discussing ethnicity, backround, fears, family, sexuality, and most importantly, diving experience. I dislike that nothing really major or important has happened in the book yet. If I was to ask the author anything, it would be, "why have many characters in your novels been through divorces? Have you been through a divorce in your life that you pass your thoughts through your novels on?"


message 10: by Juan (new)

Juan Ramirez | 6 comments Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin is the title of my book. I finished Limony Snicket last week. I'm on page 23. This book is going tgood and it is very interesting at least so far. It's very interesting to see how i fell asleep reading and then i had a dream like in the book. i like the whole thing and there' no downside to it. Where did he get the inspiration to get such amazing ideas to write about.


message 11: by Carla (new)

Carla (carlas) | 6 comments The title of the book I am currently reading is Thirst No. 3 by Christopher Pike. I have just finished the Thirst No. 2 so I moved to number 3. I am currently on page 67; see I just started to read this book. Right now my reading is going good. I am not reading as much as I wish I was. I need to find more time to read. I do most of my reading at home. Either in my room at night or after I am done with homework in the dining room at night. Yes as you can tell that I do almost of my reading at night. For some reason that is the only time I have to read. I wish I would be able to read at school but that is when I could hang out with my friends. The only time. This is kind of working for reasons that I have already mentioned. I like that I have just started my book and there is already action and suspense! The thing I really dislike is that in the last book Sita the main character dies as a normal person, a human being, but in this new next book they put her as a vampire. I really hate this is because they just acted like the whole second half of Thirst No. 2 didn’t happen. If I could ask the author any question would be “ why did you change the form of Sita, or are you going to explain all about it later and I just have to be very patient?” I would ask him this because it is still a mystery for me.


message 12: by Kiara (new)

Kiara Collins | 1 comments The title of my book is called Adventures of a Hustlers Wife by Mark Antone. Its a completely new book that i just starting reading only a couple of days ago. I'm currently on page 67. I really like the book, it seems to be very intriguing and catches my attention. I seem to be doing most of my reading at home or when I'm bored at work, kind of like now. It works pretty well because my house allows me to focus in a calm environment that allows no distractions or or disturbances.

I like the overall plot of the story, its just about a very negative situation becoming a positive one and I applaud that because i feel thats what life is all about. Turning bad situations into good ones. The only thing that can really say that I dont like about the book is that it doesn't really make sense sometimes. The book has a lot of different main characters, and it gets confusing sometimes because i dont know exactly which one is being talked about at that exact monent, and it makes it even worst because all the characters have similar names. Ugh! But overall, i really like it.

If i could ask the author anything about my book, I would probably ask him how does he feel that drugs connect to sexual abuse of women in his opinion?


message 13: by Karina (new)

Karina Gutierrez | 3 comments I actually started reading another book called Always Running by Luis J. Rodriguez. I stopped reading "Cholo Style" because I didnt find it as interesting as I tough I would. Always Running is a book I read during the summer of 08'. I read parts of the book(the ones I found interesting) but didn't finish it so I've decided that now would be a good time to read it completly and understand the message the author is trying to send to the readers. It's a non-fiction book, the author is sharing his person story about his life when he was in an L.A gang. I started reading yesterday and I'm currently on page 23. So far Im kind of enjoying the book, Im bearly on chapter one so there isnt much action going on but im pretty sure it will get intersting as I continue to read. I do most of my reading at home, in my room or living room or durinf SSR in class (I havn't took this book to school). At time it could be really hard for me to concentrate while at home because I have a little brother and he cries way too much so it distracts me. Some questions I would ask the author are how does he feel knowing that his book could/has make a huge differece in a person's life?


message 14: by /victoria (new)

/victoria | 4 comments I am reading Devils wear Prada by Lauren Weisberger so far im on page 6 and so far i like this book i mostly reading at home and spending and hour a day reading. This book is about a girl whos a writer and ends up working at one of the best magazine company and thats what i read so far, this book works for me i understand it and it's intresting so far. In this book i dont disslike anything i dont think i will disslike this book cause its about fashion. If i could ask any questions to this author it would be, where did you get the idea "devils wear Prada?", why prada? why not Valentino or alexander McQueen etc....? i would ask those questions cause im curius why she called it Devils wear Prada and not another name.


message 15: by Izzy (new)

Izzy Dito (izzydito) | 6 comments Im I just finished reading Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen.It was an AMAZING book,and i'm so very happy my mom gave it to me and forced me to give it another shot.It was so good that i'm actually depressed that it's over.It was a fantastic story and I would recommend it to anyone who likes something a little bizarre.It's a great story and one man who wants something so badly that he can't have,but in the end things end up much better than they started.It was one of those book that when I was reading the very last couple of line I had a smile on my face. I do most of my reading during SSR at school,or at home in my bedroom during my free time or before bed.I've found that if I really enjoy a book and I have it with me I read after I take a test. The next book i'm looking forward to reading is call Geek Love.This too is a book my mom wants me to read and since she was so accurate with Water For Elephants i'm looking forward to reading this book, that is also about a Circus.


message 16: by maria (new)

maria meza (mmeza) | 6 comments I am still currently reading The Diary Of A Young Girl, Anne frank by Anne Frank. Im on page 30. The reading is going really good for me, I really enjoyed. I do most of my readings in a nice quite room where I can focus into what im reading. I also do my readings during class on SSR time because its really chill in the room and I can concentrate in my book. This is working for me because I like reading in places where I can actually do my reading and get into my book. I do most of my readings at night too and I think thats better for me to do because that way I can remember what I read the next day. I really like the book that im reading right now because it tells a stoty that happend in real life so I find that interesting. The thing that I like about this book is that is a diary and it reminds me of when I was little girl and I used to write a diary of my life. One thing that I dislike about this book is that theres some vocabulary that is difficult to understand and also the names are hard to pronounce at times. If I could ask the author any questons they would be if they had any trouble writing a diary of her own. I will also ask her how did she felt about hitler and his power/whats life hard?/what did you did to keep your head up even though there was so much things around? and that was one of the things that keep you strong during those hard days in life?. I wished I could of meet anne frank because I wonder how she felt at the moment when they got caught or when everything went against jews. This book makes me think a lot and everytime I read it it makes me feel like im in anne's place.


message 17: by Czer (new)

Czer | 6 comments I am still, Currently reading The Student Leadership Challenge (Exemplary Leaders) by James M. Kouzes and Barry Z. Posner. In this book I am currently on page 113, some pages away from the leadership practice. Leadership practices are some questions that help you reflect on past experiences and in-which ways did ou achieve or fail as a leaders. My reading has gone quite well, although in some ocassions I tend to get un-focus on my reading. For this book in particular I have been reading in SSR the most. I have also try to read at home in my room, but I have been caught up with Skype, which takes most time away, since I tend to talk forever. Well, I don't think I am not really on foward towards it because i know i can read much more if i did all my stuff i want to take care of first instead of my social activities. What I like the most about my book is that it features many people, I would never consider/thought of as leaders such as Isaac Newton. Another feature I like about my book is it introduces many stories about leaders and ask reflection questions due to the story. On countraire sometimes I find it annoying when the story is breif but then in the next page it explains the whole story full detail. If i were to ask the authors any questions about the book i would ask, Why did you decide to make a leader explainatory book?, who are a couple of your role models/leaders?, and What do you admire from your role model/leaders work?


message 18: by Dcakes101 (new)

Dcakes101 | 6 comments I am still reading Ghetto Superstar by Nikki Turner.I am currently on page.40 in my book.My reading is going good.I do most of my raeding in class,but I try to seek in some time out of school if I am not busy.I think that this is a much better way of doing the work because it is fun.We get to talk about what books we have read and what's going on in them with other students.So far my book has started off good.It has already started out with drama.I not that far into it but I can tell that there is way more drama to come.I would ask her does Fabiola ever get her check from winning the contest?


message 19: by Nancy (last edited Feb 01, 2011 10:22AM) (new)

Nancy | 3 comments I'm now reading Memoirs of a Geisha because I saw the movie and wanted to see which was better... book or movie? I don't like how the little girl met the guy in the book, it was better in the movie... That kind of made me think the book is going to suck... But I'll continue reading this book and compare after wards. I am reading at night time or in class time when I'm bored. If i could ask the author a question, I'd ask why he chose to make the encounter with the girl and the man like it is... like will it connect to something that might happen later in the book or just because he thought of it at the moment. They met because the little girl fell, and the man was paying so much attention to the girl, but why would he have payed so attention to her, ...? I don't know. It's a nice story though. I seem to be able to concentrate most during SSR, i really wish i could get through it quicker, I'm in page 93, only about 400 pages left :/
I want to read a different book but like same types of Love stories ;)
I want to get through it quick.
Like this story, it's about a girl that falls in love with a man, probem she's a servant/soon to be geisha, he's a bussines MAN. SHe falls in love with him and her whole life is dedicated to finding her true love, the bussiness man <3


message 20: by Ms. Orner (new)

Ms. Orner | 80 comments Mod
Tyara wrote: "I am still reading Nasty by Dr. XyZ and I am actually done with my book. My book was so good and I never wanted to put it down. During reading my book, I read in my room on my bed, in class during ..."

Tyara - I'm glad to hear you had such a phenomenal experience with this book! I'm pretty sure you said that this was fiction, but based on your questions for the author, I'm not entirely sure. Either way, sounds like this was an extremely powerful read! Please make sure to proofread before publishing your posts. 9/10


message 21: by Ms. Orner (new)

Ms. Orner | 80 comments Mod
Josh wrote: "I am currently reading The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne. It is the same book I was reading last time I posted. I am currently on hour 3 of 5 hours of the audio book. The reading is goi..."

Josh -I'm glad to hear your reading experience has been so positive so far. I know it can be a bit uncomfortable posting your log in such a public way, but you can try to think about it like a class discussion with everyone sharing their experience. Do you know anything about the author and why he might have wanted to write about this subject? Please make sure you meet the 250 word-count minimum. 9/10


message 22: by Ms. Orner (new)

Ms. Orner | 80 comments Mod
Annie wrote: "I'm still reading Before I Die by Jenny Downham. I am now on page 77 and am going through this book really quickly. I'm glad I'm reading this book because I think it's really interesting and never ..."

Annie wrote: "I'm still reading Before I Die by Jenny Downham. I am now on page 77 and am going through this book really quickly. I'm glad I'm reading this book because I think it's really interesting and never ..."

Annie - It sounds like this is truly an absorbing book! You say that the "author's message is really thoughtful." I'd like to hear more about this message. Please make sure you honor the 250-word-minimum. 9/10


message 23: by Ms. Orner (new)

Ms. Orner | 80 comments Mod
Sirague wrote: "I am still reading The Exception to the Rulers by Amy Goodman. I am now on page 66 and I find myself re-reading quite often. I think its because it doesn't make sense the first time due to the fact..."

Sirague - I think you're right about the intended audience for this book. The author, Amy Goodman, has her own radio show called "Democracy Now," that does assume a certain level of political savviness from its listeners. 10/10


message 24: by Ms. Orner (new)

Ms. Orner | 80 comments Mod
Ray wrote: "I’m still reading the same book Lady Sings the Blues, by Billie Holiday and William Dufty. I am on page 100 exactly. The process of reading the book is fine, I usually just read before going to sle..."

Ray - The parallels you draw between Billie Holiday and Holden Caulfield are very interesting. I had no idea that Billie Holiday endured so many obstacles in her lifetime. Please make sure to proofread your posts before publishing. 9/10


message 25: by Ms. Orner (new)

Ms. Orner | 80 comments Mod
Monisha wrote: "I am still reading Doing It by Melvin Burgess and in currently on page 198. this is the same book from the first post. Well my reading is going horrible i can never sit down and read for a long per..."

Monisha - I'm sorry to hear you're having such a challenging time finding time to read! I'm glad to hear that when you are able to read, it is at least enjoyable (aside from the weird lingo). Please make sure to proofread all your posts and meet the word-minimum. 7/10


message 26: by Ms. Orner (new)

Ms. Orner | 80 comments Mod
Konrad wrote: "The title of my book is The Deep by the author Peter Benchley. The reading so far is pretty good and enjoyable. The plot is starting to thicken, whcih is always good. More characters are being adde..."

Konrad - That's an interesting pattern that you've noticed about so many of this author's characters being divorced. Please make sure to honor the 250 word minimum. 8/10


message 27: by Ms. Orner (new)

Ms. Orner | 80 comments Mod
Juan wrote: "Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin is the title of my book. I finished Limony Snicket last week. I'm on page 23. This book is going tgood and it is very interesting at least so far. It's very interesting..."

Juan - Glad to hear you have finished your last book and are on to a new one! Please make sure to proofread your posts and honor the 250 word minimum requirement. 7/10


message 28: by Ms. Orner (new)

Ms. Orner | 80 comments Mod
Carla wrote: "The title of the book I am currently reading is Thirst No. 3 by Christopher Pike. I have just finished the Thirst No. 2 so I moved to number 3. I am currently on page 67; see I just started to read..."

Carla - I know it can be hard to find time to read outside of school, but it sounds like you are making it work. I would want to ask the author the same thing - sounds like he really did an injustice to the plot of book 2! 10/10


message 29: by Ms. Orner (new)

Ms. Orner | 80 comments Mod
Austin wrote: "I am still currently reading World of Warcraft: The Shattering by Christie Golden. I am on page 63. The reading is going really good for me, I feel like I am progressing quite nicely. I do my readi..."

Austin - Great, great questions. I would want to know the same thing, and I haven't even read your book! 10/10


message 30: by Ms. Orner (new)

Ms. Orner | 80 comments Mod
Kiara wrote: "The title of my book is called Adventures of a Hustlers Wife by Mark Antone. Its a completely new book that i just starting reading only a couple of days ago. I'm currently on page 67. I really lik..."

Kiara - That's a very thoughtful question. I presume you want to ask this because the book deals with this very issue. Are drug use and sexual abuse of women central to the conflict of this novel? Please make sure to proofread all posts before publishing and honor the 250 word minimum. 8/10


message 31: by Ms. Orner (new)

Ms. Orner | 80 comments Mod
/victoria wrote: "I am reading Devils wear Prada by Lauren Weisberger so far im on page 6 and so far i like this book i mostly reading at home and spending and hour a day reading. This book is about a girl whos a w..."

Victoria - Good question! I wondered the same thing. I read this book a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I also saw the movie, but I didn't think it was as good (that's usually the case, isn't it?). Please make sure to proofread before publishing and honor the 250-word minimum. 8/10


message 32: by Ms. Orner (new)

Ms. Orner | 80 comments Mod
Izzy wrote: "Im I just finished reading Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen.It was an AMAZING book,and i'm so very happy my mom gave it to me and forced me to give it another shot.It was so good that i'm actually..."

Izzy - Being depressed at the end of a novel is a tell-tale sign that you thoroughly enjoyed your book. I'm so excited to hear that you are going to read Geek Love next - it's one of my favorites. It took me a little while to get into it, but once I did, I was hooked. Please make sure to proofread your posts before publishing and honor the 250 word minimum. 8/10


message 33: by Ms. Orner (new)

Ms. Orner | 80 comments Mod
/victoria wrote: "I am reading Devils wear Prada by Lauren Weisberger so far im on page 6 and so far i like this book i mostly reading at home and spending and hour a day reading. This book is about a girl whos a w..."

Victoria - I like your question. Yes, why Prada and not another designer? I read this book and saw the movie (book is much better). I'll be curious to hear what you think as you continue reading. Please make sure to proofread your posts before publishing and honor the 250 word minimum. 8/10


message 34: by Ms. Orner (new)

Ms. Orner | 80 comments Mod
maria wrote: "I am still currently reading The Diary Of A Young Girl, Anne frank by Anne Frank. Im on page 30. The reading is going really good for me, I really enjoyed. I do most of my readings in a nice quite ..."

Maria - Thoughtful questions! I can imagine that there are a lot of German words in this story, which would definitely be hard to understand. Please make sure to proofread your post before publishing. 9/10


message 35: by Ms. Orner (new)

Ms. Orner | 80 comments Mod
Cesar wrote: "I am still, Currently reading The Student Leadership Challenge (Exemplary Leaders) by James M. Kouzes and Barry Z. Posner. In this book I am currently on page 113, some pages away from the leadersh..."

Cesar - This book sounds like a fascinating read! You came up with some really thoughtful questions, too. Please make sure to proofread your posts before publishing. 9/10


message 36: by Ricardo (new)

Ricardo | 1 comments I am still reading the book of Motherless Brooklyn and since I did both metaconitive logs 1 and 2 on the same day, I am still on the same page which is 141. Most of the times that I read, I mostly read at the school because I really find it comftorble and I feel as if I dont get side tracted as much. Other times that I read, I read mostly in my room but I feel as if that doesnt work as well from when I read at school because I would rather do something else while im at home rather than read. While im in school, and dont see anything that could distract me and I read alot faster and a lot easier. My favorite part of the book so far is on what is going on in the book for example, the book started in the present and then went back to the guys childhood and started taking about how he was adopted and what he did durig his job and how he looked up to Minna which is one of the main characters. Then at the part where I am at is that investigation of who killed Minna and where he is. basically, they want to get to the bottom of the case and kill who ever killed Minna. Something that i dislike is that there isn't really any type of action ging on in this story so far and that there isnt much going on now. One question that i wuld as the author is why did he make the story structure the way it is? It sort of confuses the reader but it makes it a lot more interesting.


message 37: by Ms. Orner (new)

Ms. Orner | 80 comments Mod
Karina wrote: "I actually started reading another book called Always Running by Luis J. Rodriguez. I stopped reading "Cholo Style" because I didnt find it as interesting as I tough I would. Always Running is a bo..."

Karina - I'm glad to hear you are returning to a book you had abandoned. Clearly, the book made a strong enough impression on you the first time to want to return to it. Please make sure to proofread all posts before publishing. 9/10


message 38: by Ms. Orner (new)

Ms. Orner | 80 comments Mod
Kiara wrote: "The title of my book is called Adventures of a Hustlers Wife by Mark Antone. Its a completely new book that i just starting reading only a couple of days ago. I'm currently on page 67. I really lik..."

Kiara - I presume you are asking that question because drugs and sexual abuse are central to the conflict in your book. Hopefully the confusion around the names won't interfere too much with your reading experience. Please make sure to proofread your posts before publishing them. 9/10


message 39: by Ms. Orner (new)

Ms. Orner | 80 comments Mod
Dcakes101 wrote: "I am still reading Ghetto Superstar by Nikki Turner.I am currently on page.40 in my book.My reading is going good.I do most of my raeding in class,but I try to seek in some time out of school if I ..."

De Ja - I'm so glad to hear that you are enjoying using Goodreads. Sounds like your book is loaded with drama! Please make sure to proofread and honor the 250 word minimum. 8/10


message 40: by Ms. Orner (new)

Ms. Orner | 80 comments Mod
Nancy wrote: "I'm now reading Memoirs of a Geisha because I saw the movie and wanted to see which was better... book or movie? I don't like how the little girl met the guy in the book, it was better in the movie..."

Nancy - There's nothing wrong with liking a particular genre of book, although I can understand your wanting to branch out. Memoirs of a Geisha doesn't sound like your typical love story, though. Am I right? Please make sure to proofread carefully before you publish your post. Also, please see me about your grade since this was posted after the deadline.


message 41: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne Cheshewalla (cheyennecheshewalla) | 6 comments Ok.It's new book time!!!!Yesh!i just started a new book today called Vampire Hunter D by hideyki kikuchoi.its a really good fiction book about the world in the futur after the government has lauched a nuclear war.This is another Sherlock Holmes take.Its actually in a dream saga that the hero has when he is investigating a murder.I really like this book.If i could ask the author one question it would be why did you set it in two time frames?It is really confusing.


back to top