Pirate Romance discussion

Buddy-Reads > Bold Blades Flashing by Lorinda Hagen

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (last edited Jan 28, 2011 07:07PM) (new)

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 550 comments Mod
If anyone is interested in reading this with me sometime: BEAUTIFUL BUCCANEERS!
Garnet Shaw was only sixteen,but she was a spitfire as Happy Jack Muldoon,Captain of the pirate ship Dancing Lady quickly learned when he clamied her as his prize on a sea-going raid. Garnet found that a life of piracy appealed to her, as did dashing Captain Jack. But when beautiful Dell Fields boarded all three would find themselves in a strange alliance whose links were forged in passion & in blood! Bold Blades Flashing by Lorinda Hagen

message 2: by Karla (new)

Karla Arrgh, you got a copy! Well, I'll want to know how it is. :)

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) wrote: "Arrgh, you got a copy! Well, I'll want to know how it is. :)"

I thought you had one & I was trying to lure you to read it with me! LOL!!!!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

97 cent on amazon! Is it worth it?

message 5: by Karla (new)

Karla Sandi wrote: "I thought you had one & I was trying to lure you to read it with me! LOL!!!!"

Unfortunately, no. I tend not to buy books singly, so I'm waiting for this one to come up via swap.

message 6: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 129 comments If I ever find a copy of this one, then I would definitely buddy read it. :)

message 7: by Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (last edited Mar 20, 2011 01:10PM) (new)

Yes! :)

message 8: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 129 comments I finally got a copy of this one, woohoo!! :)

SmittenKitten wrote: "I finally got a copy of this one, woohoo!! :)"

No way! Thats great..where did you luck out? In good shape?

message 10: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 129 comments Don't have it yet, but it should be coming in the mail soon. It was available on amazon for the free shipping offer. :)

message 11: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 129 comments This one arrived today! I'm not sure what to expect from it.. based on the back cover, it sounds like a threesome between Garnet, Captain Jack, and Dell?????

I dont think so..lord I hope not! I think maybe one of them plays a role in Captain jacks life at one time? And then the other joins on? guess we will find out...

message 13: by Verity (new)

Verity | 55 comments U had me @ threesome. I dont have a copy but I luv anything with luv triangle theme. I will try to find this so I can buddy read. I was gonna reread Katherine O'Neal... Master of Paradise this week cuz I pulled it outta my stash when I found it in my MC box....

Let us know if you get it Verity and we will wait & read with you...shouldnt be hard to find..Amazon.ca had it for only a dollar for me :)

message 15: by Verity (new)

Verity | 55 comments Okey dokey hopefully it'll be in my mailbox by next week. Got it from ebay for a whopping $ 1 too 8^B

message 16: by Verity (new)

Verity | 55 comments Just got it in mail on Thursday.

Verity wrote: "Just got it in mail on Thursday."

Great! So? when is everyone ready to read?

message 18: by Verity (new)

Verity | 55 comments Ready when U are ;^P

Verity wrote: "Ready when U are ;^P"

SmittenKitten? Are you in? I guess we will do it right in this thread..

message 20: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 129 comments Good timing!! While cleaning my book room this morning, I picked it up and read the first page. The cover disturbs me because the lady pirate has dark hair but the woman the guy is embracing is a redhead... love triangle? threesome? Or does the lady pirate not get a HEA? I'm disconcerted... I must know what's going on in the cover!! lol

SmittenKitten wrote: "Good timing!! While cleaning my book room this morning, I picked it up and read the first page. The cover disturbs me because the lady pirate has dark hair but the woman the guy is embracing is a r..."

I glanced threw this..I think the one he is embracing (the red-head)is the main "love" I cant figure out who the dark haired one is without spoiling the read. I do hope its not a "3-some" I dont care for those..Im thinking she plays a role ..not sure what..maybe she dies her hair as a disguise? Ha-Ha
Want to set it for May 1st?

message 22: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 129 comments I actually started this one today... maybe I will read a few chapters and then wait until May. :)

message 23: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 129 comments From the front cover: "Two lusty beauties risk scandal and disgrace to win a pirate's love!"

From the back cover, there appears to be three main characters: Garnet Shaw (the lady pirate), Jack Muldoon (pirate captain), and the beautiful Dell Fields

I doubt there will be any threesome stuff.. I was just kidding when I said that :P

SmittenKitten wrote: "I actually started this one today... maybe I will read a few chapters and then wait until May. :)"

No thats good lets start..I think Verity is ready, I just started The Sweet Trade by Elizabeth Garrett but I think I can read this without having too much "pirate" going on..ok Verity?

SmittenKitten wrote: "From the front cover: "Two lusty beauties risk scandal and disgrace to win a pirate's love!"

From the back cover, there appears to be three main characters: Garnet Shaw (the lady pirate), Jack Mul..."

"WHEW"..out of my comfort zone LOL!

message 26: by Verity (new)

Verity | 55 comments Fine with me. Will start Sunday...

message 27: by Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (last edited Apr 24, 2011 04:04PM) (new)

So? how are you ladies finding this book? Im trying to like Garnet..truly I am..I just find all the meltdowns,screaming,yelling,screaching,stamping of her foot and other "I am a spoiled brat attitude a little hard to like. Maybe if I wasnt reading the other book which is a "true account" and these women are strong & "well contained" & reasonable, as well as passionate at what they do, then maybe Id have warmed up to Garnet..the book for me in some places just seems "too neatly falls into place" kinda thing.
ie: her older "rescuer" only wants in exchange for her to read to him? and become the daughter he never had?..really? Life turns out that simple back then? ahh..I guess its just me..I am getting confused on which Jack is which also here...

message 28: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 129 comments I absolutely adore Garnet... she seems to be a bit psychotic and I like that. I was laughing all through pages 64-72 when she takes over the ship and then when the pirates attack.

I also really like the 14-year old Jack.. the image of him (view spoiler) was hilarious.

But it is definitely confusing having two characters named Jack! I don't really like Happy Jack so far.

I think Captain Merryweather rescuing Garnet was believable enough... with her father being a doctor and them being fairly well off, I would think that there would be some friends of the dad hanging around. Although I will say this (don't read unless you are past page 81).. (view spoiler)

I'm half way through the book now... the middle is full of backstory and the other female, Dell Fields has now come into play.. but not in the way I expected... (view spoiler)

III agree with you on the page 81..yes why didnt he? thats what I mean its like pieces missing in the story..or they dont seem to fit for me..can hardly wait to hear what Verity thinks :)

message 30: by Verity (last edited Apr 24, 2011 11:46PM) (new)

Verity | 55 comments I'm a late starter but up to page 94.

This cheezefest is absolutely unintentionally heelarious. Garnett is 1 demented TSTL chick. I wanted to spray her w/ a tranquilizer to calm her down. Her reaction to everything is so OTT, I was LMAO in disbelief. And esp it seemed to me she had a laughing gas up her @$$ 'cuz she had these silly hysterical laughs @ inappropriate moments.

My fav cheezeball line was :
(Jack to Garnett) : "The nights have been long, and cold and empty since I tasted the nectar of your lips."

There's just somefink disturbing 'bout stalkerific hero kissing a random 14 y/o teenager @ a tavern & then bided his time before plundering her bountiful treasure. OMG I dunno if I should DNF it or persevere. I luv entertaining trainwrecks so I'll soldier on.

The 1st person's POV was mostly non-sensical rambling, 1 calamity after anotha. To the point I almost thought she should just put herself outta misery.

I can't wait to read what other crapola adventures she'll plant herself into. Hero's insta luv is as believable as a cheater caught w/ his pants down. The word AWESOME was strangely used. Sorry I'm being nitpicky.

message 31: by Verity (new)

Verity | 55 comments Sandi wrote: "So? how are you ladies finding this book? Im trying to like Garnet..truly I am..I just find all the meltdowns,screaming,yelling,screaching,stamping of her foot and other "I am a spoiled brat attitu..."

Seriously, I abhor physical violence against women but I felt like this chick deserved to be bitch-slapped for over-reacting, jumping the gun & mostly for sheer stupidity =)~

message 32: by Verity (last edited Apr 24, 2011 11:57PM) (new)

Verity | 55 comments SmittenKitten wrote: "I absolutely adore Garnet... she seems to be a bit psychotic and I like that. I was laughing all through pages 64-72 when she takes over the ship and then when the pirates attack.

I also really l..."

What made my tarantula eyebrows meet receding hairline was that the good Samaritan turns out to be a bleeding heart Captain who can't read / write. How does he survive the high seas when he's illiterate ? I thought Captains are supposed to be able to read charts / maps / the name of oncoming ships. And to have a cuckoo helmsman / navigator whose sanity is in & out ? Jeez I'd be afraid to board the ship knowing the pilot will have black outs. This is 1 cwazy book.

message 33: by Verity (new)

Verity | 55 comments Sandi wrote: "SmittenKitten wrote: "From the front cover: "Two lusty beauties risk scandal and disgrace to win a pirate's love!"

From the back cover, there appears to be three main characters: Garnet Shaw (th..."

Hehe... I luv Menage & Luv triangle, which I doubt exists in this shipwreck.

message 34: by Verity (new)

Verity | 55 comments Sandi wrote: "III agree with you on the page 81..yes why didnt he? thats what I mean its like pieces missing in the story..or they dont seem to fit for me..can hardly wait to hear what Verity thinks :)"

If he had taken her w/ him right off the bat, that would squick readers out. Having Pedophiles as heroes is a surefire way to Wallbanger hall of fame haha

OMG Verity..you had me LMAO!!!! EVERY word you said is SO true and words I couldnt have said as well!! No one tells it better than you! LOL Im glad Im not the only one who looks at Garnet that way..what a ditz!
Oh please do a review for this when your done...Im so looking forward to it! HA-HA This book is so "wallbanger" for me..Im having trouble getting threw it....

message 36: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 129 comments Oh just wait until pages 186 & 233!!! Or if you get tried of reading, then skip and read those pages. :D

(view spoiler)

message 37: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 129 comments I know I'm in the minority here, but I like the craziness of the book.... this book has made my "ridiculous-but-entertaining-as-hell" shelf. I will probably rate it 2 or 3 stars depending on the ending. It's a 1 or 2 star story, but the OTTness of it makes me want to give it an extra star.

Even the writting is strange... the beginning is 1st person, but then it sort of switches to more 3rd person half way through.

message 38: by Karla (new)

Karla It sounds like a trainwreck, but an entertaining one. Doesn't sound boring at all! Which is what can kill a book for me. Hope I can score a copy of this someday.

message 39: by Verity (new)

Verity | 55 comments Bwaahahaha... I can't wait to read more. The more trainwreck-y, the bettah ! I won't skip anyfink. I have OCD, so the worse it gets, the more I'm riveted. Since I'm a spoiler whore, U gals don't need to hide the spoilers.

Sandi,
Duncha worry, my half-assed review was already playing in my head while reading the 1st cartoonish 93 pages. Chugga chugga choo choo !

message 40: by Verity (new)

Verity | 55 comments Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) wrote: "It sounds like a trainwreck, but an entertaining one. Doesn't sound boring at all! Which is what can kill a book for me. Hope I can score a copy of this someday."

Karla,
don't waste your hard-earned dough on this cwap ! I can send my copy 2 U once I'm done & it's yours to keep haha

I think why I cant get into this is I just finished that Harem book, and still cant get her out of my mind..Garnet reminds me of her..and the writting AHh your so right SmittenKitten..it is SO bad..and I have been skipping pages and still I throw my head back and cry "OMG..for real?" If she has one more tantrum,yells,screaches,laughs madly..its goin a flying!III be happy to give you my copy too Karla! I know you will have fun with this book. I think Im going to enjoy Veritys review more than anything from all of this ..can hardly wait! :D

message 42: by Karla (new)

Karla You've sent me so much already, Sandi! I'm going to leap at Verity's offer. :D

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) wrote: "You've sent me so much already, Sandi! I'm going to leap at Verity's offer. :D"

Let me know if there is someone who wishes to "read this treasure"..III be happy to torture them LOL!

message 44: by SmittenKitten (last edited Apr 25, 2011 05:17PM) (new)

SmittenKitten | 129 comments Sandi wrote: "Let me know if there is someone who wishes to "read this treasure"..III be happy to torture them"

LOL! Yes, it would definitely be torture for almost anyone.

I'm just glad to finally know what's happening on the cover. :D

Im bailing out on this one...way too OTT for me..and spoiling my other pirate read, (which Im enjoying) Its hard to read this one & go back to "the "real stuff" I look forward to hearing the final outcome from you.

message 46: by Verity (last edited Apr 26, 2011 12:58AM) (new)

Verity | 55 comments Hehe I don't blame U, Sandi. I'm dazed & puzzled by the odd choice of words, meandering plots & POVs. It seems like Dell is the main heroine & Garnet is merely an afterthought. This goes straight to my WTF-Did-I-Just-Read shelf, along w/ my King-Dong shelf, just based on Garnet's pitiful reaction @ Jack's oh-so-meaty ding-a-ling altho' we really dunno the girth of his manly protuberance. Oh yeah his paternal grandpa's li'l swimmers were so potent that he popped out 19 illegitimate kids. Wow more power to this dude. I dunno if that juicy tidbit is a hint that Jack's gonna be as fertile as his grandpa. Let's cross fingers & toes that it ain't so.

Smittenkitten,
I couldn't believe he actually gets caught w/ his pants down not just by Garnet, but also his aunt. Aiiyiiyiyiyi... all he got was a chewed up ear.

message 47: by Verity (new)

Verity | 55 comments SmittenKitten wrote: "LOL! Yes, it would definitely be torture for almost anyone. I'm just glad to final..."

Yez I also can see why the cover focuses on the auburn-haired wench instead of the black-haired 1. This gawd-awful book has redeeming qualities, 'cuz it's crack-a-licious =^P

Verity wrote: "Hehe I don't blame U, Sandi. I'm dazed & puzzled by the odd choice of words, meandering plots & POVs. It seems like Dell is the main heroine & Garnet is merely an afterthought. This goes straight t..."

Oh Verity...you make me LOL! If this is what is going on( didnt get that far) Im glad it went to the wall!
And I need one of those shelf"s "WTF did-I-just-read"..cause this would have landed there!

message 49: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 129 comments I finished and this book was so weird... extremely OTT!! A lot of random events happen, and... well, it ended up being a threesome after all!! :D

SmittenKitten wrote: "I finished and this book was so weird... extremely OTT!! A lot of random events happen, and... well, it ended up being a threesome after all!! :D"

Ahhh!! No way! LOL! Im sending mine off to Cheshire Catt..and Verity is sending hers to Karla..cant wait to hear what they think!

« previous 1