Entering the Galahad discussion

Dorms > Dorm #5- Ethan and Brenon

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sevania, Ship Captain (new)

Sevania (sevthedev) | 894 comments Mod
((Ethan and Brenon's dorm))

message 2: by Sevania, Ship Captain (new)

Brenon sighed and lay on the wall (yes the wall- the ship was vertical). He was going to miss his parents. He already missed them. Overprotective Jenny and easy going Henric. And Cassy. Bossy Cassy who had been one of the first people to fall prey to that horrible disease.

message 3: by Sky , Lynn, Engineering Captain (new)

Sky  (clear_sky) | 407 comments Mod
Ethan looked out his dorm window at the Earth as they took off. He missed his family, and wondered if they were watching the launch. Then he heard the furniture in the room begin to fall, and he turned around as his bed began to drift toward the other window. He held onto the edge of the bed and the windowsill, hoping that his grip would hold until the ship leveled out again.

message 4: by Sevania, Ship Captain (new)

"Whoops." Unwillingly, Brenon rolled and crashed into a wall. "Ow." He rubbed his forehead. Then he stood up unsteadily-on the wall. He was careful not to step on his epic poster of a football, or the small one of Niagra Falls, which was actually an unfolded brochure he had taped to the wall. "Are you going to miss it?" he asked Ethan softly, a bit sadly.

message 5: by Sky , Lynn, Engineering Captain (new)

Ethan shrugged. "Yeah," he answered, hearing the sadness in his own voice. He looked around his room, thinking of how different it was from his old one. "No going back now," he muttered, not sure if Brenon could hear him.

message 6: by Sevania, Ship Captain (new)

Brenon did. "No going back now," he repeated softly. As the ship righted and gravity returned to 'normal' he walked slowly over to the window, staring at the receding earth. "No going back." The earth was beautiful. From space no one would guess that a whole species was dying out on the gorgeous, pristine planet.

message 7: by Sky , Lynn, Engineering Captain (new)

Ethan walked over to his own window, and thought about all of the people there that couldn't be saved. They would all stay there, until there were none left. He backed away, trying not to let his thoughts drift to his own family.

message 8: by Sevania, Ship Captain (new)

His parents were going to die. His sister was dead. And he couldn't save them. When Brenon was little, he used to dream of being a superhero, of saving the whole human race. But nothing could save the whole human race now. That was reality, and as the full truth came crashing down on Brenon's head, he staggered away from the window and sat with a thunk on his bed. His eyes were wet. Turning away from Ethan, Brenon let the tear rolled down his cheek. And then another. And another. Pretty soon his was crying full out like a waa waaing baby. But didn't he have a right to? Didn't anyone who was leaving his home forever and never going back, didn't they have a right to sob?

message 9: by Sky , Lynn, Engineering Captain (new)

Ethan heard Brendon, but didn't know if he should try to comfort him or not. How do you comfort someone whose family is going to die as surely as yours will? You can't, that's just it. He looked at his window, thinking of how every second that passed brought him and everyone on this ship farther and farther from their home.

message 10: by Sevania, Ship Captain (new)

They were traveling at an almost unimaginable speed away, away from the planet that was their home, and to a planet that might not even be able to support life. And as the tears flooded down his face like the water pouring over Niagara Falls, tons and tons every second, each of those seconds brought Brenon, Ethan, and all the kids on this colonizing ship farther and farther from Earth. Out the window earth was a lush, blue-white marble, floating eternally in the endless black void of outer space. Outer space that Brenon was zooming through at this very moment.

There was no going back.

message 11: by Sevania, Ship Captain (new)

"Well." Brenon wiped his eyes with the back of his hands and forced himself to stop sobbing. "Well, Ethan. Here we are." He turned to his roommate and gave a halfhearted smile. "If we're going to be stuck with each other for the next few years, we might as well get to know each other." Without waiting for a reply, Brenon hurried on. "As you know, I'm Brenon Goodmin. I like cheezits and ice cream and hot summer days. When I left I was starting to like this girl named Ayana, who hated my guts. I thought I could win her with, you know, my cunning and charm. She didn't think so." Brenon paused for breath. "Once, when I was in kindergarten, my dad let me take chocolate brownies to school for my birthday. I had an extra one in my lunchbox and everyone begged me for it until this mean second grader stole it. I had to go home I was crying so hard, and then my dad gave me three more brownies to make up for it." As he spoke, his voice got louder and more confident, less sad. Talking was making him feel better- it had a comfort nothing else did.

message 12: by Sky , Lynn, Engineering Captain (new)

Ethan smiled at Brenon's stories. He was right, they might as well get to know each other. At least his roommate wasn't a total snob or anything. He actually liked this kid.

message 13: by Sevania, Ship Captain (new)

"What about you? Have you got any stories?" Then, realizing this might be nosy, Brenon hastily added, "That you'd like to share, I mean."

message 14: by Sky , Lynn, Engineering Captain (new)

Ethan smiled. "I remember, on my sister's birthday about five years ago, she'd fallen asleep at a picnic table outside," he said, pausing. He laughed, remembering. "My parents wanted me to wake her up, so I turned on the hose, and pointed it at her to wake her up. She got pretty mad, and then....Well, let's just say we were all soaked by the end of the day." he smiled, looking at Brenon.

message 15: by Sevania, Ship Captain (new)

"Sounds like fun." Brenon sounded like he meant it. He was also sad because he realized that life on Earth was over, and that there would be no more water fights, ever, on that planet. And the only hope for the entire species was if he and his comrades succeeded in this mission. Literally, the fate of the human race was resting on their shoulders. Sure. Sounded like fun.

message 16: by Sky , Lynn, Engineering Captain (new)

Ethan noticed Brenon's expression, because it was the same expression that everyone else had lately. He smiled. "Don't worry. We'll work something out. It won't be just like home...but we'll make it work." he said, trying to cheer the him up a little bit.

message 17: by Sevania, Ship Captain (new)

"Of course we'll make it work." He smiled good naturedly, his doubtful expression falling away like rain plummeting from the sky. "You know, I've have a feeling I should get to work."

message 18: by Sky , Lynn, Engineering Captain (new)

Ethan nodded. He stood up. "I should probably get to work, too." he smiled. "It was nice meeting you officially, Branon." he said.

message 19: by Sevania, Ship Captain (new)

"You too." Brenon grinned back, determined to put all the depressing thoughts out of his mind and think about the wonderful planet that they would surely arrive at in just a few years' time. "Where are you going to be working?" he asked Ethan, curious.

message 20: by Sky , Lynn, Engineering Captain (new)

"Sick House," he said, glad that Brenon seemed to have pushed aside the conversation before. "How about you?"

message 21: by Sevania, Ship Captain (new)

"Agriculture." Just speaking the word brought a satisfied light to Brenon's eyes. He remembered working on the farm in Wyoming. He missed it, but what was past was past, and he was the future. "Gotta go, see ya!" Brenon left the room.

message 22: by Sky , Lynn, Engineering Captain (new)

Ethan laughed softly. He was glad that he didn't have an annoying roommate. He definitely wouldn't have a problem with rooming with Branon while they were on the ship. Ethan walked toward the hallway, heading to the Sick room.