Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > Outlander series

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 225 comments So Amazon has 4 of the Outlander ebooks on sale for $5. Should I buy them? Is the series really that good?

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 608 comments YES, it is that good! And more! One of my two all time favorite adult series and nothing else is even close.

message 3: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) I really love them, but I would recommend getting the first book and reading it before you get the rest...there is a lot of love-hate relationships with the series because of some events that occur in the first one and I would hate to see you spend money on the entire series and then not enjoy it

message 4: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) Jessica - if you wanna ask me any questions baout then - feel free, i've read them multiple times...you can pm me if you want

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Outlander is definitely one that you either love or hate. I'm in the love camp, but completely understand why it might be too long and tedious for some.

It definitely has one of the best couples in adult fiction though.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 608 comments Best just to say that they are very graphic. I ordinarily cringe at graphic sex scenes and don't choose books with them, but this one is the exception. For one thing they are scenes between two people who LOVE each other and are married - and it is a love story like no other that is still ongoing when they are grandparents in the later books. It is a time when things were pretty natural and basic, not modern times. The time travel aspect is totally intriguing and the best I have ever read and then there is SCOTLAND in the 1700's! I am a Twilight Mom and found it amazing how many TwiMoms are Outlander Fans when one series is YA and the other one is definitely not.

message 7: by *Ash* (new)

*Ash* (ashdex) | 73 comments I really enjoyed the first I think its 4 of the series. I am currently struggling to get through "The Fiery Cross"... I've been struggling for over a year. I really loved "Dragonfly In Amber"; out of the lot that one was my fav.

Enjoy.

message 8: by Dee (last edited Jan 28, 2011 03:33PM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) TFC is probably the slowest book of them all, but there is a lot of event building that is crucial for ABOSAA (A Breath of Snow and Ashes) and AEITB (An Echo In The Bone)...when I struggle with a book, and this is just me...I set myself a goal of reading a chapter a night, or 10 pages...something like that, specially on really big books

message 9: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Huxford (blackpanthershay) | 43 comments Nice series!

message 10: by Suz (new)

Suz I think I read the first four or five and lost interest. That's actually pretty unheard of for me, but I found the descriptive prose entirely too long and the love story strong in concept but too drawn out and tepid in practice.

I know I'm in the minority, most of my friends adore these books and every friend I have that hates anything by Karen Marie Moning points to the Outlander books as how it should be done. I kept waiting for a significant peak that never really came. Not for me, anyway. They're ok. At five bucks for four they're worth hanging on to until you've got time to read them. If you don't mind four paragraphs of flowery prose to say "I walked up the hill."

message 11: by *Ash* (new)

*Ash* (ashdex) | 73 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "TFC is probably the slowest book of them all, but there is a lot of event building that is crucial for ABOSAA (A Breath of Snow and Ashes) and AEITB (An Echo In The Bone)...when I struggle with a b..."

Thanks Delicious for the advice. I know have to finish it... I want to know what happens next so I'm going to soldier on through it. I haven't picked it up in a year so I might have to start over.

message 12: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) if they were easily available, I would say, have you tried the audiobooks, but the unabridged ones are really hard and expensive to find right now - within the next year they should be more readily available...I ended up doing that with echo because I couldn't get into it, and it turned out really good

message 13: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Jan 28, 2011 03:58PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Suz wrote: "I know I'm in the minority, most of my friends adore these books and every friend I have that hates anything by Karen Marie Moning points to the Outlander books as how it should be done..."

No, you are not in the minority, so don't feel bad about it. There are just as many people that hate the series as there are people that love it. Either you're into it or you're not, and like I said before, even though I love the books, it's VERY easy to understand why others wouldn't.

I'm a fast reader and a skimmer, so I can do a mental fast forward over paragraphs that get too wordy for me and go right to the meat of the books, which are divine.

As for the friends...I'm assuming they're comparing Highlander to Outlander and not Fever to Outlander? Because I also know someone that loathes Highlander and is a huge Outlander fan, but she only read the first Highlander book which was pretty mediocre when comparing it to the MacKeltars/Adam Black books. I like both Highlander and Outlander, but find a hard time drawing a comparison other than the very basic similarities.

They're just not even the same type of books imo. Both have elements of time travel and feature Scotland, but Highlander is historical romance and Outlander is historical fiction featuring a love story.

message 14: by Suz (last edited Jan 28, 2011 05:34PM) (new)

Suz Stacia ~ the plucky heroine wrote: "As for the friends...I'm assuming they're comparing Highlander to Outlander and not Fever to Outlander? Because I also know someone that loathes Highlander and is a huge Outlander fan, but she only read the first Highlander book which was pretty mediocre when comparing it to the MacKeltars/Adam Black books. I like both Highlander and Outlander, but find a hard time drawing a comparison other than the very basic similarities..."

Actually most of the folks I know that loathe KMMs stuff (and for most of them it's all things KMM) it's because of both the way she portrays the Scottish brogue, which they say is all wrong and horrid; and because her portrayal of Ireland in Fever is all wrong.

I'm an ignorant American who doesn't know the difference when she reads a bad brogue from a good one. But my friends who dislike the KMM series are not ignorant in this regard and to the person they all say the same thing - her dialogs and depictions are so wrong they are insulting.

I agree with you that Highlander and Outlander is a bit like comparing apples and oranges in terms of genre. Believe it or not, I'm more likely to go for the Outlander type than the romance. I just found them to be this really cool story with really good characters that were completely drowned in too much tepid prose. Maybe one day I'll pick them up and feel differently. Some times some things just have to hit you at the right moment, you know?

message 15: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "if they were easily available, I would say, have you tried the audiobooks, but the unabridged ones are really hard and expensive to find right now - within the next year they should be more readily..."

You should try your local library. I know mine has the entire set in unabridged format.

message 16: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) oh I have them, but in recommendending them to someone else...I wouldn't want to say...well, you could buy it but its 70-80 dollars (if not more)...because audible doesn't have the unabriged ones either yet

message 17: by Juana "Darkness" (new)

Juana "Darkness" Duran | 109 comments I haven't really read that series but I'm pretty shure that it's next on my list.

message 18: by Barbara ★ (last edited Jan 28, 2011 05:37PM) (new)

Barbara ★ Outlander group
This group on Goodreads is devoted to the Outlander series and you will find mostly people who loved it and why but there are also the haters too.

Be careful when reading posts because spoilers are likely. I make it a habit to never read posts for a book I haven't read yet. Especially in this series, as part of the allure is wondering what Jamie and Claire will do next.

message 19: by Crazy4more (new)

Crazy4more (lan-ni) | 2951 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "TFC is probably the slowest book of them all, but there is a lot of event building that is crucial for ABOSAA (A Breath of Snow and Ashes) and AEITB (An Echo In The Bone)...when I struggle with a b..."

Hi Dee, I don't have the TFC in book format and found myself unattach to the storyline. I was enthralled with previous books. I'm half way done with the audio BUT ABOSAA book is due in 5 days. Do I really need to finish TFC inorder to under ABOSAA? the audio takes a lot longer to finish than reading.

message 20: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) i think you do...there is a lot of event building in TFC with the beginning stirrings of the revolution that play a role in ABOSAA...however, you could also go to the above group that barbara posted and read the spoiler thread (if you do that sort of stuff)

message 21: by Crazy4more (new)

Crazy4more (lan-ni) | 2951 comments Thanks. I've read a couple spoilers and if I can't finish TFC b4 reading ABOSAA, I'll definitely go back to it later. Thanks again.

message 22: by Juana "Darkness" (new)

Juana "Darkness" Duran | 109 comments Thats definitely good advice Barbara I'm going to have to keep that in mind.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Suz wrote: "Some times some things just have to hit you at the right moment, you know?..."

Oh I am definitely a mood reader. I love all types of genres, and read both YA and adult, but as of the past week or so I keep putting down both a sci fi and a fantasy book to pick up more smut. It's been a trashy romance week for me. Nothing has been able to hold my attention except for fluff.

I still haven't finished the Outlander series, not because I don't want to, but because I have to be in the mood to fully digest the books, so I'm finding myself wanting to put distance in between each one.

message 24: by Crazy4more (new)

Crazy4more (lan-ni) | 2951 comments Rebecca wrote: "So Amazon has 4 of the Outlander ebooks on sale for $5. Should I buy them? Is the series really that good?"

Rebecca, this series is definitely a keeper. I'm searching ebay and craigslist for them. I don't have any e-reader but I do love my books though.

message 25: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kirstenlaniohan) This a great series!! It was the only series of books that I actually cried while reading-especially book two!

message 26: by Rochelle (last edited Jan 31, 2011 04:19PM) (new)

Rochelle (toastqueen) Even though I'm a huge fan, I probably agree with the above and buy Book One first, before buying the 4 available. They're very heavy reads, and about 5 words for every 1 another author would use! But, in my opinion they're amazing but not for everyone.

edited to add: I flew through the first four books doing a hardcover/audio combo but find I like them more when I can savor them via audio. But, it takes a lot longer!

message 27: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 225 comments I guess I will try the first one first. Im pretty easily amused, but I will check it out.

message 28: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kirstenlaniohan) I agree with Rochelle,this series is a heavy read. I had to also take a break after the first three because the author puts the characters Clare and Jamie through A LOT! It was tough to see what they would go through for their love for one another.

message 29: by Amy J. (new)

Amy J. | 41 comments The first book is amazing. Books 2-4 are also good, but they don't quite live up to the first book for me. The characters do go through a lot of trials, so I've had to take a break from the series. It just got way too heavy.

message 30: by Amy J. (new)

Amy J. | 41 comments I have not read the LJ series. I may read them, but not until I've finished outlander.

message 31: by Crazy4more (new)

Crazy4more (lan-ni) | 2951 comments Jessica, I have not read LJ series but I don't think I will either. Even though I love LJ in the Outlander series, but LJ won't have J&C in them. I heard it will have Jamie in it, of course.

message 32: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) you don't have to read the LJG series to understand outlander - in book 7 there is a vague reference to someone who was introduced in them, but DG backfills his story fair well, so you aren't too lost (or at least i wasn't) - i keep meaning to read them, or listen to them (I got one of them in the recent audible sale) - but i haven't yet - they do (just as an FYI) tend to focus a bit mroe on LJG's relationships with other men because he is gay (there is one review on audible where someone was completely disgusted because they didn't know that when they bought it)

message 33: by Pearl Reads (new)

Pearl Reads (pearl24) I love the outlander series. Its one of my favorites. Although they are very long, I personally got lost in them.

message 34: by Crazy4more (new)

Crazy4more (lan-ni) | 2951 comments Hi Pearl, haven't seen you around lately. I was surprised how hooked I was too. I had never read HR before, well, except books required for school. My sister claimed I was deprived and now making up time. Boy, I'm sure glad OUTLANDER was my very first HR I'd chosen to read and it won't be the last one.

message 35: by Jody (new)

Jody | 5 comments I loved, loved, loved the first 4 books but started to lose interest with the 5th and I struggled with the later books and honestly could kind of take them or leave them. But that being said, Outlander is absolutely one of my favorite books.

And I tried the first LG book and didn't love it so I didn't read any others, I think mostly because it's Jamie and Claire that I'm mostly drawn to in the series.

message 36: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) Jody - a lot of people struggle with the 5th one, because it is (at least in my perspective) a more normal life for J & C vice the insanity that has been their lives in the previous books...you see more of them in a normal setting...i loved it and hated it at the same time...book 8 needs to hurry up and come out however

message 37: by Amy J. (new)

Amy J. | 41 comments I've gotten stuck on Book 5. I just can't seem to make it through.

message 38: by Deanna (new)

Deanna (stackshavemercy) | 2 comments I loved these books and like many, started to lose interest around book 5. Didn't like Brianna and couldn't keep track of all the new characters in the new world. But, I stuck with it and I think it really picked up. I love the Quaker storyline! Stick with it would be my advice and I agree the love story between married people is really lovely. Too often the story is over after the "I love you's" are spoken.

message 39: by Pearl Reads (new)

Pearl Reads (pearl24) Crazy4more wrote: "Hi Pearl, haven't seen you around lately. I was surprised how hooked I was too. I had never read HR before, well, except books required for school. My sister claimed I was deprived and now makin..."

Hi, Ive been in hiding, lol, but im back, got a lot of reading to catch up on. Anyhow, Outlander was my first HR also and WOW I was blown away. After that It was hard for me to find another series that I could get into. Someone recomended that I try the Wilderness Series and I really enjoyed it. Now nothing can compare to Outlander but this was really close for me. Im currently on the hunt for my next HR series. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

message 40: by Crazy4more (last edited Feb 25, 2011 01:26PM) (new)

Crazy4more (lan-ni) | 2951 comments Hi Pearl, I'm dying to get my hands on Tairen Soul series by C.L. Wilson. I have heard many fans compare them to Jamie & Claire, can you believe it? definitely my TBR but I have a couple new releases to catch up before sinking my obssession into the next series. oh, and it has really high reviews too.

I stopped reading after ABOSAA. I'm waiting until next year end to read Echo. I can't deal with cliffhangers, especially after FEVER series. Plus ABOSAA had a perfect stopping point.

Let me know what's your next pick.

message 41: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine (truejourney) | 315 comments Jessica wrote: "I'm not a TwiMom but I am a Twilight fan so I have no problem switching from YA to adult. I just recently finished The mortal instrument series, I'm currently reading Fever, next will be Hunger Ga..."

I just finished the Hunger Games Trilogy... You will not be dissapointed. The biggest problem I'm having after I've read the three books is feeling like I will never be able to find a book that compares to them. I'm hoping that the Outlander series does.

message 42: by Crazy4more (new)

Crazy4more (lan-ni) | 2951 comments Jeanine, in term of YA books, loved Hunger Games too, have you read Mortal Instruments? Outlander series is definitely heavier read but what a wonderful read it is.

Got my hands on Tairen Soul series. OMG, love it, love it, love it. A must read if anyone is looking for a good series while waiting for the next book.

message 43: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine (truejourney) | 315 comments Crazy4more wrote: "Jeanine, in term of YA books, loved Hunger Games too, have you read Mortal Instruments? Outlander series is definitely heavier read but what a wonderful read it is.

Got my hands on Tairen Soul ..."

Oh yes... I have read all three books in the Mortal Instraments series and the first book in the Infernal Devices. Cassandra Clare is one of my favorite authors and I can't wait for City of Angels to be out next month. What is the Tairen Souls series about? The name in itself is intriguing...

message 44: by Crazy4more (last edited Mar 15, 2011 08:29PM) (new)

Crazy4more (lan-ni) | 2951 comments OMG, Terry whom I met thru Outlander posting have being mentioning Claire & Jamie along with Rain & Ellie. I was like, no way... All I can say is THANK YOU Terry! I love this series so much and having a great time reading it. It's like Cinderella on CRACK! Ellie first introduced as a peasant-plain-Fey lover, she's pure as snow but things happen around her when she prays & yearns for goodness. Rain is a all powerful-beast-man (literally, his other half is a tairen) and KING of the Fey. And what do you know? Ellie is Rain's truemate. The thing with truemate is when her soul calls him, and he answers, he's done...really done as in die if she doesn't accept him. Good thing for him, she's been fantasizing and admiring him all her life. The villian is just as powerful and deadly and he wants Ellie because she is really NOT plain & simple AND the key to the Fey and Tairen survival.

This book has magic, loyalty, royalty, honor, unimaginable beauty,etc. The writing is breath-taking too. To read how Rain and his warriors protect, respect, possess their queen, Ellie, is just a joy to read.

message 45: by Kate (new)

Kate (kshiv) | 96 comments Jamie and Claire are the best literary couple I know. Outlander may be my favorite bookof all time. I think you shoud definately read the first 3 books. I have read them all and the Lord John books. They start to get a little far fetched in the 5th book. That being said, I love me some Jamie Fraser. He's a man's man.

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) (mlpmombookreviewer) | 839 comments I still haven't read the last book, while I really like the series I think it could have ended long ago. I know the first book was free for a long time for the Kindle version, it still might be and it would be worth it to download and use as a PC app if you don't have a Kindle to see if you like the series.

message 47: by namericanwordcat (new)

namericanwordcat | 231 comments I just got the audio of the first book from the library. Seems a big hill to climb. :)

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) I really enjoyed the books in this series. I have only read up until "A Breath of Snow and Ashes," but they were all wonderfully detailed and had great characters.