Terminalcoffee discussion

Sharing Time: > Mom passed today

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Okay, it's not actually unbearable, but it is sad news and I didn't know which category to use.

My wife was sitting in bed next to her mom this morning when mom's breathing started to change. The hospice nurse was called in, and she, my wife and my FIL sat with mom while she gasped a final couple of breaths. The part that hurt my wife most was watching her dad calling for his bride to "come back to me."

The hospice people are here now, and the bereavement counselor will be visiting dad for the next few weeks. Now we're fielding tons of phone calls and waiting for the mortuary driver.

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I'm so sorry for your loss, Phil. Take care, sir. You deserve so much credit for how hard you've worked the last few months.

message 3: by Heidi (last edited Jan 28, 2011 12:12PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Ohhh, Phil. That's just heart-wrenching! My condolences to you, your wife, and family...

:(

message 4: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Phil, I'm very sorry to hear. I realize that it's something you've been preparing for, but it still must be awfully hard when it finally happens, especially for your father-in-law. Strength and condolences to you and your family.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments My condolences as well, Phil.

message 6: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
Oh Phil. I'm sorry.

message 7: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Sorry for yours and your wife's loss Phil.

message 8: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1679 comments Phil, I'm very sorry for you and your family. You should be proud of all you did to make her last few months more comfortable.

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments phil, despite sometimes having different views on religion i want to say that my thoughts and prayers are with your family in this time of loss. my prayers are for peace and comfort.

message 10: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments So sorry, Phil. I watched both my mom and dad take their final breaths. Tell your wife to hang in there.

message 11: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Passages. No matter how much we know these moments are coming, we never are really ready for them. I'm glad you all have each other there, Phil.

message 12: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments I am sorry, Phil. Wow, how heartbreaking, what your father-in-law said. I can see how hard that would be on your wife.

message 13: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i am sorry to hear your mother-in-law has passed, phil. my condolences to you, your wife, your father-in-law and family. you really did an amazing thing, bringing your wife's parents into your home and taking care of them.

message 14: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Thanks to all of you -- your words are appreciated. Yes, Kevin, even your prayers are welcome. :)

message 15: by Terri (new)

Terri R | 17 comments Phil,

While I am new to the group and therefore, do not know the history of your mother's situation, my thoughts and condolences to you and your family.

message 16: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Welcome to TC Terri.

message 17: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments Like Terri, I offer my condolences to you and yours as well.

message 18: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments Big hugs to you & your wife Phil. May you be blessed with comfort, peace & love.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Phil I admire you greatly for what you have done taking care of for your family. My thoughts are with you.

message 20: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Papa Phil! I'm so sorry. I wish I could hug you right now.

message 21: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments ::squeezes Britt from across the U.S.::

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Add me in for a hug. Wish I knew what else to say. I'm sure we're all quite inadequate of saying anything useful, other than we're sorry you're having to go through this.

message 23: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24358 comments Mod
Phil, I'm so sorry! For your father in law, especially...that is so hard. I hope the next few months will be at least bearable for him. I have to think her last few weeks/months were made much easier by being at your house surrounded by family, rather than in a hospital or other facility.

message 24: by Michael (new)

Michael I'm sorry, Phil. Condolences to your wife and you and your father-in-law.

message 25: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) Ah, Phil. So Sorry for your family's loss.

message 26: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) Phil, so sorry to hear the news. take comfort in each other. know that you all being with her and being there for her in her last days was a gift.

message 27: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3447 comments Phil, I'm sending you and your family good thoughts during this sad time.

message 28: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments I'm so sorry for your loss, Phil.

message 29: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7137 comments This is a painful time for your family. I'm so glad your mother in law was with all of you in your home.

message 30: by Suefly (new)

Suefly | 620 comments I am so sorry.

message 31: by Hanna (new)

Hanna (ohanners) | 202 comments So sorry to hear of your family's loss. I hope you find comfort and renewed strength during this difficult time...

message 32: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Phil, my condolences.

message 33: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Wow, it's amazing how much support we've found from our close friends and from those we only know online. Thank you, everyone for your kind words.

I think the most touching thing for me was watching dad try to hold back tears as he watched a friend of mine thread mom's ring onto a chain and hang it around his neck.

Anyway, to the sock monkeys, the zombies, the Craw, the Dutch, the Australian, the Canadians (eh) and every single one of you, thank you.

message 34: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman My condolences to you and your family.

message 35: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) I haven't been online much the last few days and want to add my voice and condolences to you and your family. Hugs!

message 36: by JackieB (new)

JackieB | 49 comments I'm sorry to hear of your loss. My thoughts are with you all at this sad time.

message 37: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments I'm sorry for your family's loss, Phil. Losing a parent is hard. losing a lifetime partner is harder. My dad never fully recovered from losing my mom who died suddenly. My prayers are with your family.

message 38: by Sandysconnected (new)

Sandysconnected | 43 comments I'm so sorry for your loss :(

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm so sorry for your family's loss.

message 40: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Thanks. We're having her memorial today, and it's now winding down so I'm putting in a few quiet minutes at the computer. We have family here from Florida, Wisconsin, Illinois, Texas, Washington D.C., and Texas.

message 41: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Texas seems well represented.

message 42: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) It's a big state.

message 43: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments There is east Texas and west Texas.

message 44: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) A person can start in Texas, drive for 12 hours in one direction, and still be in the state.

message 45: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

If you were in my family, you could do that in a lot of states.

message 46: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I meant driving at normal highway speeds.

message 47: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Frontwards or backwards?

message 48: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Yes.

Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~ (lyzzibug) | 708 comments I'm a little late, but I hope you and your family are doing well.

message 50: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Thank you, Lyzzibug. Dad has been adjusting and seems less dejected as time passes.

« previous 1