LDS Fiction discussion

LDS Books on Nook?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sonja (new)

Sonja Lee Hi, I have been having a hard time finding LDS Authors for my Nook. Does any now if they are available for the Nook or if they will be in the future?

message 2: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Thorne (daniellethorne) | 27 comments I have some on Nook. :) But I don't write LDS Fiction--just am LDS. You can check out Turtle Soup, Josette, By Heart and Compass, or The Privateer at B&N for the Nook.

Also--Joyce DiPastena is LDS, and she writes historical fiction. She's probably available there, too. I know she's got one for Kindle.

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary Walling (mlwalling85) | 29 comments I don't have Nook, but do have Kindle. I am currently reading Josette by Danielle Thorne. I an enjoying it very much and am just about finished with it.

message 4: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Thorne (daniellethorne) | 27 comments Thx, Mary. Sure glad you are enjoying it. I hope to get a Kindle sometime this year but I am pretty content with my Sony reader. It just doesn't have wi-fi. That's the downside.

message 5: by Mary (new)

Mary Walling (mlwalling85) | 29 comments I know the Kindle ereader is handy to carry around, but I have the Kindle PC which is really nice to have next to the bed when I am working from the bedside and it lets me read at night without having to sit in the hard chair at the desk. It's free at Amazon.com.

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather | 1 comments Sonja wrote: "Hi, I have been having a hard time finding LDS Authors for my Nook. Does any now if they are available for the Nook or if they will be in the future?"

I know my books just came out on Nook, so you should start being able to get more and more LDS books on Nook. I'm not sure if any of the other LDS publishers have gone that directions yet, though most are moving to put their books on Kindle now. Mine both made it to Kindle a couple of months before they came out on Nook.

message 7: by Sonja (new)

Sonja Lee Danielle wrote: "I have some on Nook. :) But I don't write LDS Fiction--just am LDS. You can check out Turtle Soup, Josette, By Heart and Compass, or The Privateer at B&N for the Nook.

Also--Joyce DiPastena is LDS..."

Thank you!!

message 8: by Sonja (new)

Sonja Lee Heather wrote: "Sonja wrote: "Hi, I have been having a hard time finding LDS Authors for my Nook. Does any now if they are available for the Nook or if they will be in the future?"

I know my books just came out o..."

Thank you!! I will look for your books!

message 9: by Teryn (new)

Teryn | 3 comments Marcia Lynn Mcclure is LDS as well. She doesn't write LDS fiction, but clean romance. She has some on nook.

message 10: by Sonja (new)

Sonja Lee Teryn wrote: "Marcia Lynn Mcclure is LDS as well. She doesn't write LDS fiction, but clean romance. She has some on nook."

Thank you Teryn!!

message 11: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Talley | 19 comments Mod
I checked on my newset book, The Upside of Down, and it's not on Nook, but my others, Heaven Scent and Altared Plans are available.

message 12: by K.C. (new)

K.C. (kcgrant) | 7 comments Unfortunately the two biggest LDS publishers (DB and Covenant) don't really do too much with ebooks yet and so big current titles won't be available in that format. But many LDS authors are having their rights revert back to them on books that have been out for a while. So if you have a favorite author, go to their websites and ask them if they have plans or have arranged for their books to go electronic.

message 13: by Julie (new)

Julie | 13 comments Covenant announced at a luncheon that they are putting all of their newer titles and many of their older ones on Kindle. Deseret Book is doing the same. I know there are several new Covenant titles on Kindle currently. I'm not sure about Nook, however.

message 14: by K.C. (new)

K.C. (kcgrant) | 7 comments That's great! So that's what I missed at the lunch last week.

message 15: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Langford | 2 comments Most of the titles from Zarahemla Books (including my novel, No Going Back) are available in a variety of electronic formats from Smashwords, for a price substantially below the price for a print copy. You can get links from the Zarahemla Books website. Most recently, the short story collection Dispensation (edited by Angela Hallstrom) has been made available electronically.

message 16: by Sonja (new)

Sonja Lee Rebecca wrote: "I checked on my newset book, The Upside of Down, and it's not on Nook, but my others, Heaven Scent and Altared Plans are available."

Thank you! I will look them up! Hopefully in the future more of yours and others books will be available.

message 17: by Sonja (new)

Sonja Lee K.C. wrote: "Unfortunately the two biggest LDS publishers (DB and Covenant) don't really do too much with ebooks yet and so big current titles won't be available in that format. But many LDS authors are having ..."

Thanks K.C.

message 18: by Sonja (new)

Sonja Lee Julie wrote: "Covenant announced at a luncheon that they are putting all of their newer titles and many of their older ones on Kindle. Deseret Book is doing the same. I know there are several new Covenant titl..."

Yippie!! I am so happy to hear that. Maybe I need to get a Kindle as well!

message 19: by Sonja (new)

Sonja Lee Jonathan wrote: "Most of the titles from Zarahemla Books (including my novel, No Going Back) are available in a variety of electronic formats from Smashwords, for a price substantially below the price for a print c..."

Thank you Jonathan!!

message 20: by Rebecca (new)

I'm still not sure I'd like the Nook or Kindle, I love having the book in my hands, Guess I'm old-fashioned.

message 21: by Sonja (new)

Sonja Lee Rebecca wrote: "I'm still not sure I'd like the Nook or Kindle, I love having the book in my hands, Guess I'm old-fashioned."

I am the same way. I am weird because I like the smell of the book in my hands. I bought my Nook because there are times when Deseret Book doesn't have the book or books I want in stock. And I am to cheap to pay for shipping!

message 22: by Rebecca (new)

Yep, love the smell. I love to walk into bookstores just so I can smell the books. I'll probably make the move over to Nook or Kindle eventually since my book shelves are sagging from the weight of all the books I buy :).

message 23: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 13 comments My book Run Away Home is available on Kindle and My next book If I should Die will also come out on Kindle. Covenant has plans to move all of our back lists to electronic reader formats, but I'm not sure how soon that will be. It's kind of hard to find lists of just LDS fiction on Amazon, but you can easily find which ones are on Kindle by going to specific author's lists of published works on the Amazon site. The various formats are listed for each book.

message 24: by Sonja (new)

Sonja Lee Jennie wrote: "My book Run Away Home is available on Kindle and My next book If I should Die will also come out on Kindle. Covenant has plans to move all of our back lists to electronic reader formats, but I'm no..."

Thank you Jennie. I will look forward to your next book. I enjoyed your last one "shudder" a lot!

message 25: by Marsha (new)

Marsha Ward (marshaward) | 4 comments Sonja, Kindle has free software for reading its books that you can download onto a PC computer. I'm not sure about Macs. Anyway, you can then read any Kindle version of an LDS book on your computer. It's not the same as having the book on your Nook, but that is one option for reading LDS eBooks.

If you're looking for books by LDS authors that are not specifically LDS-oriented, my first two books are available at Smashwords.com in various formats, including that used by the Nook. But wait, they are on B&N, which is the nook site de jour.

The Man from Shenandoah
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-...

Ride to Raton
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Ride...

The third book, Trail of Storms, is not yet available on B&N as a nook. I've promised to get that done after my fourth novel has been written. Maybe I'll do it sooner.

Marsha Ward

message 26: by Kbrebes (new)

Kbrebes | 3 comments Good to know, Marsha! I have a MacBook and have downloaded a Kindle. I'm enjoying it!

message 27: by Sonja (new)

Sonja Lee Thanks Marsha!! I will go to the website now!

message 28: by Julie (new)

Julie | 13 comments My first three books, Through Love's Trials, On the Edge, and Time Will Tell, are going through the process to be put on the Nook and Kindle right now. I'll let you know when they're available! :)

message 29: by LeeAnn (new)

LeeAnn | 2 comments Re. the Kindle software...I'm not sure about Macs, but there are free apps for both Kindle and iBooks for the iPhone and iPad. I have both and love them on my iPad. (I think I have them on my iPhone too but it's too small for comfortable reading IMO.)

message 30: by Christine (new)

Christine Kersey | 1 comments Both of my books (No Way Out and Suspicions) are available on Kindle and Nook. They aren't LDS fiction per se, but are clean suspense.
My website (www.christinekersey.com) has links to Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

I own the nook color and love it!

message 31: by Christine (new)

Christine Jensen (chrisjensen) | 3 comments Rebecca wrote: "Yep, love the smell. I love to walk into bookstores just so I can smell the books. I'll probably make the move over to Nook or Kindle eventually since my book shelves are sagging from the weight of..."

I am the same way about the smell of books :) I do have an ipad and LOVE have books in ebook format (I use the kindle app most often, but ibooks is pretty cool too, and an easy way to read PDF format ebooks), but would never completely convert...I am a bubble bath reader and you can't take electronics in the bath..LOL

message 32: by Julie (new)

Julie | 13 comments Well, I did notice that Kindle has a waterproof cover available. Maybe they're trying to make it so you can take it in the tub? LOL

message 33: by Christine (new)

Christine Jensen (chrisjensen) | 3 comments OOh, A waterproof cover for a kindle...now that is interesting ;)

message 34: by Susan (new)

Susan | 1 comments Christine wrote: "Rebecca wrote: "Yep, love the smell. I love to walk into bookstores just so I can smell the books. I'll probably make the move over to Nook or Kindle eventually since my book shelves are sagging fr..."

I so hear you! My shelves are so full, I'm reduced to stacking them on the floor. There's a comfort for me to hold the book in my hands while I'm reading it.

message 35: by Rebecca (new)

I have books on the floor next to where I write, books in my bathroom, books by the bed, books in a bookcase in my room, we built bookcases from floor to ceiling when we remodeled our sitting room into a library so I could stack more books, and still I buy books. There's just something about having a book in my hand. I have to stay off eBay so I don't keep buying used books and when I'm in UT guaranteed you'll find me in an LDS bookstore buying books. It's a sickness . . . .

message 36: by Christine (new)

Christine Jensen (chrisjensen) | 3 comments Rebecca wrote: "I have books on the floor next to where I write, books in my bathroom, books by the bed, books in a bookcase in my room, we built bookcases from floor to ceiling when we remodeled our sitting room ..."

I have the same sickness Rebecca! I can't leave DI without browsing the book section..and I can never pass a Seagull book without going inside.

message 37: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 13 comments I have that sickness too, and since I review for Meridian Magazine, I get tons of books every month. I have no more room and I hate to see books going unused so I started a contest on my blog which repeats every month. I send "Wish list" books to the winners. Every summer I donate books to a favorite charity too. There are some books I choose to keep, either because they are signed by someone special to me, I might someday reread them, or I feel some sentimental connection, or because I think I might need to refer to something in one of them someday, but most are up for grabs to contest winners. I love books, but I don't love piles of clutter, and sharing seems to be the answer for me. There's no way I can just throw a book away--unless it's particularly disgusting and I don't get many of those.

message 38: by Rebecca (new)

I've rarely thrown a book away, but I have. And, yes I don't like the piles of clutter either. I wish I could read faster. Right now I'm trying to read a couple of books on helping my son with his speech and how to teach him to read while also reading novels. I think book sharing is an excellent idea, Jennie. I won a book from your blog. I tend to keep all the LDS novels so I can readily give my kids books to read. There's so much trash out there that I need to have a ready arsenal of good, clean books for my kids because I've found their teachers and librarians don't always have the same standards for books as I do.

message 39: by LeeAnn (new)

LeeAnn | 2 comments Oh my goodness! I just got home from our Christian co-op and was a little surprised? (shocked?) to see the reference to LDS bookstores! I had to scroll up to discover this was an LDS fiction list. (I had come in via email and didn't realize what list this was at first.) It made me want to cry to be with people that know something about LDS lit. Thank you, thank you, thank you for being here!

message 40: by Rebecca (new)

Glad you're here, LeeAnn!

message 41: by Sonja (new)

Sonja Lee Shaun wrote: "Sonja wrote: "Hi, I have been having a hard time finding LDS Authors for my Nook. Does any now if they are available for the Nook or if they will be in the future?"

Hi Sonja,
I have written a book..."

Thank you Shaun! I will go look for it now!

message 42: by Alice (last edited May 21, 2011 10:53AM) (new)

Alice Logan (alicelogan) | 1 comments One of Tristi Pinkston's books, "Agent in Old Lace," is available for Nook: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Agen...

I read the paperback version, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

message 43: by Sonja (new)

Sonja Lee Alice wrote: "One of Tristi Pinkston's books, "Agent in Old Lace," is available for Nook: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Agen...

I read the pap..."

Thanks Alice. I will look for it!

message 44: by Sonja (new)

Sonja Lee Heather wrote: "Sonja wrote: "Hi, I have been having a hard time finding LDS Authors for my Nook. Does any now if they are available for the Nook or if they will be in the future?"

I know my books just came out o..."

I just bought your latest book on Nook. I am so excited!!

message 45: by Cheri (new)

Cheri | 1 comments I write fantasy, which by definition can't be LDS fiction, but it is clean. My novels, The Peasant Queen and The Wild Queen are both on the Nook, as is my short story, Ghost Bride (an experiment in ghost stories rather than fantasy).

Sounds like you've gotten tips for a lot of great reads. Enjoy!
Cheri

message 46: by Emily (new)

Emily (edebenham) | 1 comments Rachel Ann Nunes has a bunch of her stuff up on the amazon Kindle. I can't find them for nook though. Annette Lyon has a two of her first books avaliable on nook. At the Water's Edge and Lost Without You. Both LDS fiction.

message 47: by Julie (new)

Julie | 13 comments My new novel, Ribbon of Darkness, is available on Nook as well. :)

message 48: by Roseanne (new)

Roseanne Wilkins | 4 comments My books Tangled Hearts and Hidden in the Heart are available on Nook also.

message 49: by Sonja (new)

Sonja Lee Julie - Thanks I just got it. Rosanne - I will go look for yours!! Happy reading!!

message 50: by Roseanne (new)

Roseanne Wilkins | 4 comments Thanks, Sonja. :) I just finished reading Ribbon of Darkness. I loved it.

« previous 1