The 104 Book Challenge - 2011 discussion

Danielle

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dnn (last edited Jan 28, 2011 09:33AM) (new)

message 2: by Dnn (new)

Dnn | 6 comments So far this year...

"Let the Great World Spin" I feel this book is overrated. It was so hyped up before I read it, and I was left a little disappointed.

I enjoyed the other two books.

message 3: by Dnn (new)

Dnn | 6 comments The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

I loved this book!

message 4: by Dnn (last edited Feb 02, 2011 09:48AM) (new)

Dnn | 6 comments Ship Breaker (Ship Breaker, #1) by Paolo Bacigalupi

Good YA book.

The Good Earth (Oprah's Book Club) by Pearl S. Buck

A "classic" I enjoyed.

message 5: by Tony (new)

Tony | 52 comments Would you expound a bit on Ship Breaker. I saw an interview with the author, but still wasn't sure if I was interested in the book.

message 6: by Dnn (last edited Feb 03, 2011 10:25AM) (new)

Dnn | 6 comments Ship Breaker is a fast paced, somewhat futuristic adventure/science fiction novel. (It is futuristic in that it takes place after an oil spill disaster and oil is no longer a resource available to all). More adventure than science fiction, full of action and well wrought characters, I found myself getting through this book very quickly as I continued to care about what fate awaited the characters.

As a highschool librarian I picked this "new arrival" (for us) up since no student had checked it out. I wanted to read it and hopefully recommend it to students. For those that like gritty action packed adventure I definitely recommend Ship Breaker!

Tolonye, let me know if this helps and/or you have any more questions. Also, if you end up reading Ship Breaker, please let me know what you think!

message 7: by Tony (new)

Tony | 52 comments Thank you so much, your response was perfect because I'll be reading it for a similar reason. I have a small reading program and a small library at my church for our children and teens. I'll let you know what I think.

message 8: by Dnn (new)

Dnn | 6 comments That will be interesting reading this for a church group... "Fates" is what is referred to as "God" or any "higher power". There are several discussions among characters about "Fates" and God. It doesn't go into a lot of depth, but there is definitely an aspect where the main character struggles with whether he believes in God or "Fates". At a certain point in the book he says he is praying to God, and then it there is some discussion about how he didn't even know he believed in God until that moment. You could do some intersting things with those passages with your group I am sure!