THE JAMES MASON COMMUNITY BOOK CLUB discussion

Authors and Their Books > AUTHOR FORUM - NEVE MASLAKOVIC

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Neve (new)

Neve Maslakovic (nevemaslakovic) Rick, thanks for inviting me to post in the author forum here about my debut novel!

Rather than starting out with the customary cut-and-paste of the blurb, I thought I'd tell you a bit about the book and how it came to be published.

Regarding Ducks and Universes is the lighthearted tale of a cookware writer, his alter ego, and a wayward rubber duck. It's been described as "A satisfying mix of mystery, science fiction, and the quirks of being human."

It took me five years to write it, during which I switched from being an engineer in academia to being a fiction writer.

In March 2009, I entered the manuscript in the second Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award contest, about the same time that I started querying agents. The novel made the ABNA semifinals. It didn't win. About a year later, as I was revising and still sending queries to agents (with very limited success), I got an offer from AmazonEncore, the new "traditional" imprint of Amazon.

The book will be published both in print and on Kindle in a few weeks.

Read more about the book on the Goodreads page, Regarding Ducks and Universes, or on my website, http://www.nevemaslakovic.com. I'd also be happy to answer any questions about the book here.

message 2: by Neve (new)

Neve Maslakovic (nevemaslakovic) David, I don't know much about Authonomy, but CreateSpace is who AmazonEncore uses for its own books. They did the editing, cover art, etc, for "Regarding Ducks and Universes." While I haven't seen the finished product yet, the ARCs were very nice and they did a great job did editing the book. The cover is great and I like the internal "feel" of the book -- it was the CreateSpace team who came up with the inspired idea of using little ducks as section breaks!

message 3: by Neve (new)

Neve Maslakovic (nevemaslakovic) I forgot to say that we're doing a giveaway right now -- for a chance to win one of ten signed copies of "Regarding Ducks and Universes" go to:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/87...

The giveaway closes on February 13.