Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > Have You Ever Seriously Considered Legally Changing Your Name?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments Outside of marital reasons, I mean.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I used to want to when I was in high school. It got quite old always having another Amy in my class. Strange thing is, I didn't want to change my actual name, but moreso the spelling. Anything other than the typical Amy or Aimee. I was leaning toward Amie. Now it just sounds stupid. You are who you are, and I would have been stuck with a lame pretentious spelling of my name.

My current last name drives me up the wall though. Not because it's a bad name, but because it has a very strange spelling that causes almost everyone to pronounce it wrong. My maiden name was just as hard to spell but it was a pretty French name.

message 3: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments Bjorn Turock. that's what i'd change it to

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Well yeah, but that would be the obvious answer.

message 5: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I have never seriously considered it.

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments wait...did it say seriously?

message 7: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments I was supposed to be called Milena but Canadians had a hard time with Milena so my parents went with the anglicized Melanie. I wish they had stuck with Milena... much more exotic sounding.

message 8: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jan 27, 2011 04:52PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I never wanted to change my name. However, I hung out with a girl named Sherry Korzik (I think I'm spelling that wrong) who changed her name to Sherry Karson because she hated her last name. I think she also changed her middle name to "Roberta" in honor of Robert Smith.

Sherry, if you're out there, thank you for kissing me on that boat, but for a while after you became a lesbian I thought I did something wrong.

message 9: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments How did you feel about taking your mom's maiden name again?

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1679 comments I spelled my name with an "e" for a while in 6th grade. Lord, stop making me relive my elementary school years!

message 11: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart I was supposed to be named Michael. I think I've talked about that here.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) At what age did you make the decision to change it?

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) 22 isn't bad. At least it wasn't right when you turned 18. Doing anything the second you're legal usually doesn't work out too well.

message 14: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Never.

message 15: by Hanna (new)

Hanna (ohanners) | 202 comments If I ever get married I would rather keep my last name. There are benefits to having a one-letter last name. :)

I know a guy who took his wife's last name when they got married.

message 16: by Malcolm (new)

Malcolm Esquire (MalcolmEsq) Nope. I was born in my mother's married name (not the name of my dad), raised and educated in my great-aunt's name, and live under my father's name. No need for me to change it legally as they are birth-rights (I was 10 days old when I went to live with my great-aunt.

message 17: by Aynge (last edited Feb 21, 2011 04:58PM) (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments I knew a girl named Nympha in junior high. I'm pretty sure she must have changed her name by now. She was a nice kid but was teased mercilessly. By her friends. Also I worked with someone whose last name of Tampon. But she was an adult. I can't imagine living life with that last name.

message 18: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments I knew a boy named Hyman. But that was before I knew what a hymen was.

message 19: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24362 comments Mod
Hyman Rickover.

message 20: by Malcolm (new)

Malcolm Esquire (MalcolmEsq) There's a soul singer named Phyllis Hyman

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

as much as i hate my way-too-uptight name sometimes (not sure what the bioparents were thinking when they named me), i don't think i'd ever change it. even when i get married, i'll just tack his surname on the end, but i'm keeping Valentino too.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

message 23: by Michael (new)

Michael I don't think your name is uptight either. We have a local news anchor here who shares your name.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

i just feel like its so old age sometimes. i mean, esme rose delilah seems to...fancish lady-like ish.
im sure this is all just in my head...

message 25: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I think it is a nice name also Esme, hopefully you will embrace it.

Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~ (lyzzibug) | 708 comments Esme is a great name! I would rather have a name not too many people have.