Dark Tower discussion

Ready for a re-reading?

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan, Lobstrocity Enthusiast (new)

Dan (akagunslinger) | 97 comments Mod
Hile, gunslingers!

This morning, I was kicking around the notion of finally re-reading the Dark Tower books in one whack, figuring my to-read pile would be exhausted by the time April rolls around. Then, as Ka should have it, I discovered this group.

What do you all say to the idea of making the journey back to the Dark Tower together starting April 1st? I figure starting in April will give us all time to prepare. Besides, we'll all want a re-read before the movie hits and possibly ruins the series for us.

Books-treasureortrash (bookstreasureortrash) | 16 comments I'm in, it would be fun to read and comment on the books as a group.

message 4: by Erica (new)

Erica (bookpsycho) I'm down. It's been three years since I finished the series. I should be done with my other books by April. Can't wait!

message 5: by Jonathan, Shameslinger (new)

Jonathan (cullister) | 10 comments Mod
I love this idea. I want to do it, but my to-read list is huge and I'm not the fastest reader in the world...hesitating. Someone push me over the edge!

message 6: by Dan, Lobstrocity Enthusiast (new)

Jonathan wrote: "I love this idea. I want to do it, but my to-read list is huge and I'm not the fastest reader in the world...hesitating. Someone push me over the edge!"

If you read the Dark Tower in April, I will clear my reading calendar and finally read Hyperion in May.

Stephanie *Eff your feelings* (stephmllr) | 17 comments Jonathan wrote: "I love this idea. I want to do it, but my to-read list is huge and I'm not the fastest reader in the world...hesitating. Someone push me over the edge!"

I'm going to try, and no one reads slower than me!

message 8: by Jonathan, Shameslinger (new)

OK, OK, I'm in. Clear that calendar Dan and remove yonder Hyperion from your List of Shame.

message 9: by Jonathan, Shameslinger (new)

The day approaches...

message 10: by TK421 (new)

TK421 I'm in...is it okay that I started rereading THE GUNSLINGER?

message 11: by Dan, Lobstrocity Enthusiast (new)

Sure. The rest of us will work on catching up in April.

message 12: by TK421 (new)

TK421 Fantastic! I won't go any farther than that.

message 13: by TK421 (new)

TK421 Quick question. At work I was given the task of reading four (is there more?) Dark Tower graphic novels and I have no idea where to start.

TREACHERY
THE LONG ROAD HOME
THE GUNSLINGER BORN
FALL OF GILEAD

I have only read the first three books in the Tower series, and I have heard that these will give away parts of the story. (I have to read them; it's work after all...)

What order should I put them in?

Thanks for the help.

message 14: by Dan, Lobstrocity Enthusiast (new)

Can't help you. I only read part of The Gunslinger Born before I decided the graphic novels weren't for me.

Where do you work?

message 15: by Doug (new)

Doug (spaceclownstudios) | 16 comments Mod
Gavin wrote: "Quick question. At work I was given the task of reading four (is there more?) Dark Tower graphic novels and I have no idea where to start.

TREACHERY
THE LONG ROAD HOME
THE GUNSLINGER BORN
FA..."

The chronological order is as follows:

Gunslinger Born - Kind of retells the Mejis flashback (from Wizard & Glass)

Long Road Home - What happened between Mejis and Gilead for Roland's first Tet

Treachery - Outlines the plot and some details of how Roland's father went to the Clearning

Fall of Gilead - Farson's attack on Gilead and the destruction of the Gunslingers

Reading these four is only a spoiler if you have not read Wizard & Glass if I recall correctly. There are more comics in the series. The four books you mentioned are trade paperback collections of the comic arcs (usually around 5 comics each) After Fall of Gilead there is The Gunslinger and the current arc (or just completed but not in trade paperback form yet as far as I know) The Little Sisters of Eluria.

Hope this helps.

message 16: by TK421 (new)

TK421 Dan wrote: "Can't help you. I only read part of The Gunslinger Born before I decided the graphic novels weren't for me.

Where do you work?"

I work for a library as the Community Outreach Director...boring title, fun job.

message 17: by TK421 (new)

TK421 Doug wrote: "Gavin wrote: "Quick question. At work I was given the task of reading four (is there more?) Dark Tower graphic novels and I have no idea where to start."

Thank you. I will start with GUNSLINGER BORN.

Books-treasureortrash (bookstreasureortrash) | 16 comments April is approaching and will be here soon. Quick question for you all, are we going to read according to a schedule. Maybe one book each month? What do you think?

message 19: by Dan, Lobstrocity Enthusiast (new)

Books-treasureortrash wrote: "April is approaching and will be here soon. Quick question for you all, are we going to read according to a schedule. Maybe one book each month? What do you think?"

That would probably be the easiest way to do it. Maybe we could do The Gunslinger and Drawing of the Three in April and give the others one month each.

message 20: by Dan, Lobstrocity Enthusiast (new)

I'm going to go ahead and create discussion topics for each book now. That way if people want to read at their own pace rather than with the group, they can.

Books-treasureortrash (bookstreasureortrash) | 16 comments OK, I couldn't wait until April 1, and I have started re-reading. Thanks Dan for starting topics for each book but I noticed you didn't create one for The Gunslinger or The Drawing of the Three. Did you have any thoughts on that...

message 22: by Dan, Lobstrocity Enthusiast (new)

Books-treasureortrash wrote: "OK, I couldn't wait until April 1, and I have started re-reading. Thanks Dan for starting topics for each book but I noticed you didn't create one for The Gunslinger or The Drawing of the Three. D..."

They should be showing up now.

message 23: by Erica (new)

Erica (bookpsycho) I am ready to start in April!

message 24: by Jonathan, Shameslinger (new)

April!

Books-treasureortrash (bookstreasureortrash) | 16 comments That's like next week!

message 26: by Jonathan, Shameslinger (new)

Shameslinger is about to start.

message 28: by Dustin (last edited Aug 15, 2012 09:41AM) (new)

Dustin I've actually been doing my 1st re-read of the series for quite some time now. I finished Wizard and Glass the day after the release of TWTTK, which is what I'm currently reading.:)

Sadly, my second journey is gradually coming to end. I'm now at 65% in The Dark Tower..:(:(

message 29: by Shell (new)

Shell (shellcampbell) | 16 comments Anyone re-reading at the moment? I'm on Drawing of the Three for the second time around.

message 30: by Dave (new)

Dave Summers | 10 comments I plan to reread a third time once I hear of a release date for the first movie. I imagine it will be a while

message 31: by Dave (new)

Dave Summers | 10 comments I plan to reread a third time once I hear of a release date for the first movie. I imagine it will be a while

message 32: by Dan, Lobstrocity Enthusiast (new)

Starting Saturday, I'm going to be rereading the series one book per month.

message 33: by Dave (new)

Dave Summers | 10 comments Enjoy the journey-again

message 34: by Dan, Lobstrocity Enthusiast (new)

This will be my third time completely through but I've read the first four books a crazy amount of times. The deaths are still tough.

message 35: by Dave (new)

Dave Summers | 10 comments The Dark Tower is the greatest work of fiction I've ever read. There is no other story that I will read multipe times and still get something new out of it. I think it is all about King's gift in character development.

message 36: by Dan, Lobstrocity Enthusiast (new)

I don't think I can wait a whole month before starting the next book so I may be starting book 2 on the 15th.

I made this this morning using one my desert photographs.

message 37: by Dave (new)

Dave Summers | 10 comments cool