Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Pen names

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

From manual: "Regarding author pseudonyms or pen names - some authors write or have written under multiple names. When editing or adding information for a book written by an author with multiple names, enter the author's name as on the front cover as the primary author. The author's other names may be added in the other author fields."

So I'd like the opinion from more experienced librarians as may is quite hard to tell if they should be added or not? Checked Nora Roberts and JD Robb and there were no other names in the books written as the other.

I think it makes the book look messier and the other pen name is usually already mentioned in the author profile so that would not be necessary, unless later published with the other name as well. I'd like to remove Robin Hobb from books published under Megan Lindholm and vice versa.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45058 comments Mod
Please do NOT remove any authors. If they are there, it means another librarian worked to put them there. I think it is important that we do our best NOT to undo the work of other librarians.

The current handling of pen names is not ideal, but it is established practice. And until GR figures out the aka feature they have been trying to figure out how to implement for quite a while, it is not likely to change.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok. Waiting for the aka feature then :)

message 4: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmcgoran) | 8 comments I am Goodreads author, and my first three books were published under a pen name (D.H. Dublin) but now I have a couple of short stories in anthologies under my real name (Jon McGoran, and to make things even more complicated, Jonathan McGoran. My profile here is now "Jon McGoran / D.H. Dublin" but I can't seem to add my McGoran books to my Dublin profile, nor can I add a second author name to my books' pages. The only instructions I found say "And if you need any help editing your books or the pseudonym's profile, just ask in the Librarian's Group." I think I need serious Librarian help...
Thanks!!

message 5: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmcgoran) | 8 comments I am Goodreads author, and my first three books were published under a pen name (D.H. Dublin) but now I have a couple of short stories in anthologies under my real name (Jon McGoran, and to make things even more complicated, Jonathan McGoran. My profile here is now "Jon McGoran / D.H. Dublin" but I can't seem to add my McGoran books to my Dublin profile, nor can I add a second author name to my books' pages. The only instructions I found say "And if you need any help editing your books or the pseudonym's profile, just ask in the Librarian's Group." I think I need serious Librarian help...
Thanks!!

message 6: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 392 comments Jon wrote: "I am Goodreads author, and my first three books were published under a pen name (D.H. Dublin) but now I have a couple of short stories in anthologies under my real name (Jon McGoran, and to make th..."

I suggest you change your profile name back to Jon McGoran, it's better to keep the names separate. You can add a link to the D.H. Dublin profile in your profile. Then one of us can edit each book to add the additional name. I couldn't find any books with Jonathan McGoran, so you might need to add those.

message 7: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments Jon, as Deborah suggested, please change your author profile name to either Jon McGoran or Jonathan McGoran. Author names need to be a single name, and the other author name gets listed on a separate line on the book's edit page (and has it's own author page.) I went in and changed the author names on your current books and combined them with the editions that were already listed under your pen name profile. They won't show under your current author profile until you combine it with the new one I needed to create under the name 'Jon McGoran'.

Here's one of them: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/14...

I also created a series page for all three of the C.S.U. books, which should be showing on your pseudonym author page soon (it takes a little bit, with caching issues.) http://www.goodreads.com/series/56925...

Your pen name page is here: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

You can customize it further if you'd like, I just put the basics in, and a link to your main author profile. You'll probably want to put a similar link on your primary profile over to the pen name author page. Let me know if you need further help with any editing. = )

message 8: by Carolyn (last edited Feb 16, 2011 07:06AM) (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments Oh, and I went and found the other books with the short stories you mentioned in your profile and added the contents and other authors to them, including yourself. They are under the 'Jon McGoran' profile.

message 9: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmcgoran) | 8 comments Carolyn and Deborah, you are great. Thanks for all your help with this.

message 10: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Is there a thread where we can post AKAs, where they can sit until the time that an AKA feature has been instituted?

message 11: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Why not just link the author profiles?

message 12: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl I can do that. I just thought there might be some big to-do list of AKAs somewhere, waiting for the big day.

message 13: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

There is not.

message 14: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "I can do that. I just thought there might be some big to-do list of AKAs somewhere, waiting for the big day."

I've often thought that that would be good planning, but I've never gotten around to starting a list like that. Do you think we should?

message 15: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Since both the timeframe and nature of the implementation for the aka feature is uncertain, not really.