Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived: Threads, misc. > Favorite romantic comedy

Comments Showing 1-50 of 87 (87 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments My favorite is Just Married starring Ashton Kutcher and Brittany Murphy.

message 2: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) The Prince and Me, starring Julia Stiles and Luke Mably.

Love Actually

Among others... Will have to think. :)

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I know I kept thinking last night about more rom com's. I'd like to add The Princess Bride to the list.

message 4: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Jan 28, 2011 07:27PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Rom-Com favorites I have on video or TiVo

Notting Hill (1999)
Groundhog Day (1993)
When Harry Met Sally (1989)
It Happened One Night (1934)
Born Yesterday (1950)
Love Actually (2003)

I recommend Love Actually every year at Christmas time to my best friend and she has yet to see it!

One that got totally trashed by the critics, who did so because it was not plausible, but I loved was Life ‘As We Know It’ (2010)...saw it in the theater.

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments I LOVE Grandhog Day!! Notting Hill is excellent too... I especially love the ending. Great choices Lisa! I'm still trying to think of my fav's! LOL!

message 6: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) How could I have forgotten Notting Hill??? Loved that one!

message 7: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Michelle wrote: "I know I kept thinking last night about more rom com's. I'd like to add The Princess Bride to the list."

Yes! Also I like The 40 Year Old Virgin, I kind of feel bad for him, and it's good he gets his HEA lol. And My Big Fat Greek Wedding and What Women Want.

message 8: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Jan 30, 2011 02:01PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I loved 'The 40 Year Old Virgin' too. I don't watch 'The Office' so it was the first time I really was introduced to Steve Carell. It was one of the first movies to combine male humor with female rom-com. My BF and I were playing the movie quotes game and I said 'Kelly Clarkson!' from that movie (when he is geting waxed). I couldn't believe she didn't remember it because when I first heard it I was FOFLMAO. I have 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding' also.

message 9: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Definitely My Big Fat Greek Wedding!!

message 10: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I forgot about the romantic comic thriller with Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn (1963). It was on last night.

message 11: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 361 comments Do you mean "Charade?" I loved that movie!

message 12: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 51 comments I absolutely adore Undercover Blues with Dennis Quaid and Kathleen Turner. I don't know if it is really a standard rom-com, but it is comedy and it has a great married couple.

message 13: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Jan 31, 2011 03:50PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Sandra J wrote: "Do you mean "Charade?" I loved that movie!"

Thanks Sandra...I somehow left the title out. Yes, I meant 'Charade.' If I was sneaky, I would have said I posted it as a trivia challenge. Good job!

message 14: by Zoe (new)

Zoe So many of my favorites already listed! Dennis Quaid reminded me of 'The Big Easy' which might not be a comedy all the way, but the romance part of it is quite funny.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

French Kiss
The 10th Kingdom..... well to me it is haha
All Doris Day comedies
The Holiday
Sweet Home Alabama
While you were sleeping

message 16: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Faithmarie wrote: "French Kiss
The 10th Kingdom..... well to me it is haha
All Doris Day comedies
The Holiday
Sweet Home Alabama
While you were sleeping"

I loved The 10th Kingdom!! Lol lots of funny parts and I like Wolf. :)

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I love the wolf too!!!!!!!!!!

message 18: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Lol the part where they're in the woods and uh, messin' around is hilarious and sort of cute.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I love the kissing town and the singing ring too......

message 20: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) Kit wrote: "I loved The 10th Kingdom!! Lol lots of funny parts and I like Wolf. :) ..."

LOVED Wolf in that movie!

message 21: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments With so many recs, I guess I'm going to have to see "The 10th Kingdom", especially if it has a wolf in it.

message 22: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) LisaKay wrote: "With so many recs, I guess I'm going to have to see "The 10th Kingdom", especially if it has a wolf in it."

very cute movie LisaKay. Stars Kimberly Williams-Paisley, back around her Father of the Bride days. I really want to get this one on DVD tho haven't yet.

message 23: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Feb 18, 2011 09:55AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Oh, I like her as an actress; she's a cutie. Glad she seems happy with Brad Paisley and vise-versa. BTW, "The 10th Kingdom" was a mini-series on TV that won an Emmy. Does it ever come back on? I will have to do a search for it on my TiVo.

message 24: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments I seen it when it was first on TV when I was younger, and then I rented it through Netflix a couple years ago. I don't know if they ever re-show it on TV, maybe on SyFy or ABC family? But I really don't have any clue. :)

message 25: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Okay ladies, I reading about "The 10th Kingdom" on Wikipedia and Wolf is a 1/2 man 1/2 wolf character. Ha! You had me fooled. :)

Kit, thanks. Maybe I'll have a friend check out availability on NetFlix. If it's five 2-hour episodes then it is probably on several discs.

message 26: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Yea, if I remember right, it was a couple of discs, but thankfully I had the four at a time plan, so I think I got them all at the same time.
I vaguely remember seeing a book version in stores back around the time the miniseries first aired too. I might have to look into it.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

My daughter and I rented it about 10 years ago we put it on and realized it was about 6 hours long ..... we went to bed that night at
4 am ....... we thought it was fabulous .... the scenery alone was worth it..... and I loved the mocking of fairy tales. One of my favorite movies.

message 28: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I remember really enjoying Patrirck Dempsey movies back in the 80's. One was Can't Buy Me Love, and I think the other was called Lover Boy (?). I started thinking of them, and remembered how much I enjoyed them while watching Made of Honor the other day.

message 29: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments All those were good. He definately got better looking as he got older. He could sure make me laugh back then. Now he just makes me *sigh*.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Lisa Kay wrote: He definately got better looking as he got older.

LOL

message 31: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Faithmarie, you be the judge:

message 32: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments My vote is for older too. He looks MUCH, MUCH better!

message 33: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I know, but I don't think he had a nose job. Do you?

message 34: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments If he did then I can't tell, it doesn't look like it to me

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't think so....... most men just age well...... I think.... ?

message 36: by Kit★ (last edited Feb 27, 2011 08:34PM) (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Wow, he's much hotter older, I'll say that for sure! Maybe he just grew into the nose, b/c it does look slightly bigger/beakier on the leaner teenage/young adult pic. In the older pics, he's just all around yummier.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Kit wrote: "Wow, he's much hotter older, I'll say that for sure! Maybe he just grew into the nose, b/c it does look slightly bigger/beakier on the leaner teenage/young adult pic. In the older pics, he's just a..."

LOL

message 38: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Faithmarie, you be the judge:

"

Lisa, you have really got my Monday off to a good start! LOL!!!!!

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Does anyone remember him in the movie Outbreak. That was an in-between time for him.

message 40: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Faithmarie wrote: "Does anyone remember him in the movie Outbreak. That was an in-between time for him."

With Renee Russon and Dennis Hoffman?

message 41: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Oh, and don't forget the monkey!

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah.... creepy and he was creepy to! Dustin Hoffman Morgan Freeman Renee Russo. Not a romantic comedy..... right.

message 43: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Faithmarie wrote: "Yeah.... creepy and he was creepy to! Dustin Hoffman Morgan Freeman Renee Russo. Not a romantic comedy..... right."

I didn't know McDreamy was is that!!

message 44: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Faithmarie wrote: "Yeah.... creepy and he was creepy to! Dustin Hoffman Morgan Freeman Renee Russo. Not a romantic comedy..... right."

That monkey was really creepy. I went to a zoo, and there were these little weird monkey beasts and I was terrified! I kept thinking of Outbreak, LOL!

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL My daughter HATES monkeys.... hahahahhahaah
I had a monkey when I was 12.... well my stepfather did. It used to throw it's poo at everyone.

message 46: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Faithmarie wrote: "LOL My daughter HATES monkeys.... hahahahhahaah
I had a monkey when I was 12.... well my stepfather did. It used to throw it's poo at everyone."

Yet another reason to be afraid of them, LOL!

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

lol

message 48: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Faithmarie, I couldn't find any still pictures of him on Outbreak, only videos. :(

I think Kit is right and he just grew into his nose. Plus, this may sound funny, but I think he learned how to use his body language.

Michelle, just to make your Monday complete.

Photobucket

to

Photobucket

then

Photobucket

Photobucket

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Lisa Kay wrote: "Faithmarie, I couldn't find any still pictures of him on Outbreak, only videos. :(

I think Kit is right and he just grew into his nose. Plus, this may sound funny, but I think he learned how t..."

I think you are right!
I personally like noses... LOL... they have character LOL

message 50: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I really like Sandra Bullock and I liked this one.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.