Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I have a question for those of you who regularly listen to audiobooks. I'm assuming you're listening while driving, cleaning house, or just otherwise busy. Do you feel like you're able to focus on the story the same way you would if you were reading it?

message 2: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Jan 26, 2011 01:36PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I listen to audiotapes/CDs mostly in the car and they are usually mysteries. I find I have no trouble concentrating. Due to the expense I have tried to restrict my listening to them in the car, but occasionally I will have to hear the rest of the chapter and justify doing so by housecleaning.

When I used to run I listened then, but found in the long run meditation books such as A Path with Heart A Guide Through the Perils and Promises of Spiritual Life by Jack Kornfield best for me at that time. In fact, anything written by Kornfield is excellent. I have recently been tempted to buy The Five Stages of the Soul Charting the Spiritual Passages by Harry R. Moody just so I will start walking again (not running, as I am very much out of condition due to a torn rotator cuff); it is one of the best spiritual books I have ever read. I started audio meditation while running because I accidently came across a running meditation tape. Since I was no good at sitting meditating (couldn’t concentrated on breathing right) I gave it a try and discovered when I was running I could definitely focus on my breathing! Ha ha!

For me it is a different experience when LISTENING to a story. Often I will experience a story I love, such as The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown both ways just to discover different things from the same story. I am currently listening to T is for Trespass by Sue Grafton

Michelle, this is just soooooo weird that you are posting this question because I have been trying, unsuccessfully, to find audio books on Cole's IAD series as I thought I would listen to them again before her new book comes out in February. Dreams of a Dark Warrior (Immortals After Dark, #11) by Kresley Cole

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Wow, thanks Lisa. Listening something motivational while walking is a great idea! I'm surprised the IAD series isn't one that's readily available on CD. I do believe some Kresley Cole books are on itunes, if mp3 is ok with you. I tried to check for myself to see which ones were available, and of course itunes froze up. I can try again later.

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Oh. I just have to ask. For the books with those naughty sex scenes, are those scenes acted out? Or are they just alluded to?

message 5: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Jan 26, 2011 02:23PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I used to grab a tape or CD when I went on a road trip. That is how I got hooked on the series Three Plums in One Gift Set (Stephanie Plum, #1-3) by Janet Evanovich

message 6: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Jan 26, 2011 02:20PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Michelle, I used to listen to Linda Howard's and Amanda Quick mysteries on audio and they were unabridged, therefore the sex scenes were narrated like the rest of the story (not acted out).

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Ok. So are the books acted out on tape at all, or just read to you? Silly questions I know, but I could swear I heard they were acted out.

message 8: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Lisa wrote: "I used to grab a tape or CD when I went on a road trip. That how I got hooked on the seriesThree Plums in One Gift Set (Stephanie Plum, #1-3) by Janet Evanovich"

That's what I was told by a woman I met at a used bookstore. She told me the Stephanie Plum series was hilarious.

message 9: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Most books are read to you by one narrator who uses different voices. I haven't heard any books on tape/CD that are acted out. I have listened to 'mystery theater' on the radio and they use different actors to do a story.

message 10: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Lisa wrote: "Most books are read to you by one narrator who uses different voices. I haven't heard any books on tape/CD that are acted out. I have listened to 'mystery theater' on the radio and they use diffe..."

Oh good. I think I'd actually prefer to just have to books read to me. I tried itunes again, and its moving extremely slow. I wouldn't mind getting a few books for my ipod so I can listen while cleaning, commuting etc.

message 11: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Yes, I just ran to the bookstore and grabbed this in a hurry. What a hoot! Very well narrated and even my husband loved them. We laughed all the way on the unplanned road trip. Three Plums in One Gift Set (Stephanie Plum, #1-3) by Janet Evanovich

message 12: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments My best friend has to read tons for her job and she rarely reads any of the books I recommend anymore...but she does download to her MP3 player, if available. I guess I am going to have to get with the new millennium and buy one. :o)

message 13: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Lisa wrote: "My best friend has to read tons for her job and she rarely reads any of the books I recommend anymore...but she does download to her MP3 player, if available. I guess I am going to have to get wit..."

Don't feel bad, I'm often behind the times myself, LOL!

message 14: by Gigi, Moderator (last edited Jan 29, 2011 09:25AM) (new)

Gigi | 833 comments Michelle wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Most books are read to you by one narrator who uses different voices. I haven't heard any books on tape/CD that are acted out. I have listened to 'mystery theater' on the radio and t..."

I recently discovered audiobooks as well. I find that I'm not distracted either. For me, it seems that I'm focusing more on the audiobook than I would the actual paper book (no opportunity to skim when I get bored with a certain part). I also listen to them on my ipod.

I've actually been addicted to them lately once I found out that my library had a downloadable media section. So, I've been borrowing audiobooks from my library and downloading them to my ipod. Its very addictive.

message 15: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Gigi wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Most books are read to you by one narrator who uses different voices. I haven't heard any books on tape/CD that are acted out. I have listened to 'mystery theater' o..."

I imagine it it is addictive. I think I'll be getting some for my ipod soon too.

message 16: by Gigi, Moderator (new)

Gigi | 833 comments Michelle wrote: "Gigi wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Most books are read to you by one narrator who uses different voices. I haven't heard any books on tape/CD that are acted out. I have listened to 'myste..."

You'll have to download the media console at overdrive media.com first. Its kind of sad because I don't think I've listened to any music on my ipod since I discovered the downloadable media section at the library. LOL

message 17: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) Gigi wrote: "You'll have to download the media console at overdrive media.com first. Its kind of sad because I don't think I've listened to any music on my ipod since I discovered the downloadable media section at the library. LOL..."

Heck I have listened to audio books almost exclusively since I got my first MP3 player 4 or 5 years ago. :-)

message 18: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Just joined 'Romance on Audio' group that just started as I am just starting to pick up CD's again.

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/4...

message 19: by Michelle (last edited Feb 09, 2011 05:37PM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Thanks for posting the link Lisa. I still haven't purchased any audiobooks yet. I've noticed the price is pretty high. So, I plan on getting a library card tomorrow with the sole purpose of borrowing audiobooks :)

message 20: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 361 comments I buy audiobooks at a discount book store. My local UBS also carries some, and Borders often has audiobooks on sale (and I've used their coupons). That being said, used/discount bookstores hardly carry the latest releases. The selection tends to be hit or miss.

message 21: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) I've an audio book junkie and have been for YEARS! at least 75% of what I read every year is audio books. And at least half of the audios I read are borrowed from teh library. I also borrow a bunch from a good friend who buys a lot. But I do buy some as well.

If you subscribe to Audible.com, they have excellent prices on downloadable audios. Members get a designated amount of credits based on teh level they subscribe at. I've been a subscriber for about 7 years. At my level I pay about $23/month which gets me two credits. You can use those credits on every single item in the store. So at about $11/book, hard to beat! They also do frequent sales throughout the year. And members get discounted prices on all books they are buying outright and not using credits on. The average price if not using a credit usually is around $17-25 per book. But there are a lot much cheaper as well, and of course some pricier ones.

Another great website for buying audios is AudioBookStand.com. Their books are all reasonably priced and discounted. The best part of that site though is they always have a good variety of unabridged audios on sale for $10. And they do MP3 CD audios on sale for $8 frequently. If you subscribe to their mailing list, they'll e-mail you when they do the sales with some of the books in the e-mail that are on sale. And there's usually a link in the e-mail to see the rest of the $10 audios. I've bought a TON that way!

message 22: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments That's great information Kelley! Thanks!

I used to never read audio books, but I have recently started and have been enjoying them. I mainly borrow them from my library.

message 23: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Thanks Kelley! I went to the ubs to look for audiobooks yesterday, and they only had casette tapes available. I'd prefer to buy cd's so I can put them in itunes library. I'll be registering with audiobookstand this morning.

message 24: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) Hope you find some good books Megan and Michelle. I'd not read even close to as many books in a year if not for audio.

message 25: by Gigi, Moderator (new)

Gigi | 833 comments Kelley wrote: "Gigi wrote: "You'll have to download the media console at overdrive media.com first. Its kind of sad because I don't think I've listened to any music on my ipod since I discovered the downloadable ..."

LOL! I'm the person who is always behind in technology. LOL

I'm truly addicted to them now. My only complaint is that I can't remove the library books off of my ipod once the due date passes. LOL So, I have every book I've ever borrowed still on my Ipod. lol

message 26: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) Gigi wrote: "I'm truly addicted to them now. My only complaint is that I can't remove the library books off of my ipod once the due date passes. LOL So, I have every book I've ever borrowed still on my Ipod. lol..."

None of the audios can be deleted directly from the iPod. You ahve to do the deleting through iTunes. When the iPod is plugged in the library books will show up under "books" on your iPod. Delete them from there.

message 27: by Gigi, Moderator (new)

Gigi | 833 comments Oh cool! Thanks Kelley! I'll have to try that next time I'm syncing my ipod!

message 28: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I don't know why, but I'm having a really hard time trying to borrow ipod/audiobooks from the library. I'm going to turn off my laptop and try again later before I throw it across the room!!

message 29: by Lupdilup (last edited May 24, 2011 07:39AM) (new)

Lupdilup | 5 comments I published a website a few weeks back, and my blog is about audiobooks, I post a sample of each book, and a quick review of the narrator, including other listener's opinions, I've also posted instructions on how to download the books and transfer them to your listening devices.

http://lupdilup-hotlistens.blogspot.com/

message 30: by Lupdilup (new)

Lupdilup | 5 comments Kelley wrote: "I've an audio book junkie and have been for YEARS! at least 75% of what I read every year is audio books. And at least half of the audios I read are borrowed from teh library. I also borrow a bunch..."

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one..I'm also an audiobook junkie.

message 31: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Lupdilup wrote: "I published a website a few weeks back, and my blog is about audiobooks, I post a sample of each book, and a quick review of the narrator, including other listener's opinions, I've also posted ins..."

Thanks for the info :) I'll go check your blog out.

message 32: by Michelle (last edited Apr 04, 2011 01:29PM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments FYI

This is from Kresely Cole's website:

"Audiobooks are coming! Readers have been asking for audiobooks for some time, and I'm delighted to announce that each book in the IAD series will be available in this format. Look for The Warlord Wants Forever, Hunger Like No Other, and No Rest for the Wicked this fall. Ordering info TBA this summer."

message 33: by Lupdilup (last edited Apr 04, 2011 06:48PM) (new)

Lupdilup | 5 comments That's great!! I'd love to listen to my favorites.
Thank you.
It's funny I signed up today for the news letter on kresley Cole's website and I asked if they had any plans for audio books. :)

message 34: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Michelle wrote: "FYI This is from Kresely Cole's website:"Audiobooks are coming! Readers have been asking for audiobooks for some time, and I'm delighted to announce that each book in the IAD series will be ..."

Michelle, That's the best news I've heard all week!

message 35: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Lupdilup wrote: "That's great!! I'd love to listen to my favorites.
Thank you.
It's funny I signed up today for the news letter on kresley Cole's website and I asked if they had any plans for audio books. :)"

I signed up for her newsletter a while ago, and that's what was sent out yesterday. I'm pretty excited too!

message 36: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Michelle wrote: "FYI This is from Kresely Cole's website:"Audiobooks are coming! Readers have been asking for audiobooks for some time, and I'm delighted to announce that each book in the IAD serie..."

Geez! Yesterday was only Monday. I'll have to work extra hard the remainder of the week now, LOL!

message 37: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I am listening to Naked in Death (In Death, #1) by J.D. Robb . I read it years ago and decided to re-listen. I am LOVING it. Man-oh-man! The story is excellent and this audio is very well narrated by Susan Eriksen. It is weird how I am remembering the story...but only as it goes along. Memory is a funny thing. Most libraries have this audio available for download - so no library fines!

Aroma with Love ...

message 39: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "I am listening to Naked in Death (In Death, #1) by J.D. Robb. I read it years ago and decided to re-listen. I am LOVING it. Man-oh-man! The story is excellent and this audio is very well narrated by Su..."

I know I read this one within the last year or so, but I can't recall much of the story. I'm thinking I'll re-read it at some point.

message 40: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Kresley Cole still doesn't have her books on audio...they are just talking about it. Though, it looks like The Warlord Wants Forever by Kresley Cole will be first!

message 41: by Heather (new)

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments I'm with Gigi. I've always enjoyed audiobooks, but I've stepped it up this year as a result of my library having an emedia section (and a large capacity MP3 player). Between Audible and the library, majority of the books I'm interested in are available to listen to. OR its a great way to read 2 books at once. One audiobook and one regular/Kindle book.

I listen to them during my ride to/from work and while I'm at work (as I have a desk job and like to shut out my co-workers, lol). They also prevent me from skimming through a book, which I generally have a bad habit of doing.

I also find that if I really love a book (ex. Shades of Twilight) I'll listen to the audiobook several times. Great way to will away boring travel/working hours.

message 42: by Mary C (last edited May 23, 2011 08:06AM) (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 752 comments I love audiobooks. I listen in the car and on my IPOD. For the most part, I have no trouble concentrating on them as long as I'm not doing something where I'm reading or calculating something. I was going to say as long as I'm doing something that requires no concentration. But I can follow an audiobook and still be a good driver.

I can't read them on the treadmill though. When the scenery doesn't change then my mind wanders and I can't concentrate on the audiobook. But I can listen just fine while walking the dogs.

If my mind keeps wandering then I just pause the book.

message 43: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I am currently listening to Angels Fall by Nora Roberts and loving it. I'm not a big Nora Roberts fan, more like a little one; however, I have been listening to her books now instead of reading them; finding I like them that way a lot . I remember this one made a great movie, so thought I would try it via audio; well worth it!

message 44: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments I've never listened to audiobooks. I tried when I was younger, tried to listen to some Poe stories, but my mind just kept wandering. I'd start looking out the window, or I'd look at a magazine or something. Just couldn't pay attention. That was when I was like 13 or 14, and I've never tried audio again. I did get in my stepmom's car with her one day, and she had been listening to a romance driving to work, and when she started the car, it was in the middle of a sex scene, and the narrator was all breathy-like and kind of making a moan. I turned all red, she shut it off real quick, turned the radio on, but yea, kinda made me feel like I wouldn't like romance on audio...

message 45: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Kit★ wrote: "kinda made me feel like I wouldn't like romance on audio..."

I certainly wouldn't either - in front of my stepmom! I hate to laugh at your expense, but Good Lord! LOL!

message 46: by Lupdilup (new)

Lupdilup | 5 comments LOl! Funny story, I just happen to LOVE romance audibooks, if you get the right narrator.
I'm audibook junkie, specially nowadays that they are releasing just about every tittle on audio.

message 47: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 752 comments I don't usually do romances on audio either. I mostly like classics, mysteries, general fiction and fantasty/sci-fi on audio.

I can't just sit and liten to an audiobook. I have to be doing something else-housework, walking the dogs or driving.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.