Urban Fantasy discussion

BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS > Looking for Recommendations: Dark UF

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brei (new)

Brei | 17 comments I am looking for a darker uf series something more along the lines of Makers Song/Night Huntress any suggestions?

message 2: by Betelgeuze (new)

Betelgeuze | 114 comments Some dark UF:

The Devil You Know by Mike Carey

Nightlife by Rob Thurman

Sins & Shadows by Lynn Benedict

Child of Fire by Harry Connely

The Devil You Know (Felix Castor, #1) by Mike Carey Nightlife (Cal Leandros, #1) by Rob Thurman Sins & Shadows (Shadows & Inquiries, #1) by Lyn Benedict Child of Fire (Twenty Palaces, #1) by Harry Connolly

message 3: by new_user (last edited Jan 26, 2011 03:27PM) (new)

new_user There are a lot...

Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews Touch the Dark (Cassandra Palmer, #1) by Karen Chance Shadowfae (The Shadowfae Chronicles, #1) by Erica Hayes If Angels Burn (Darkyn, #1) by Lynn Viehl Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, #1) by Nalini Singh

Browse through those, see if anything piques your interest.

message 4: by Tasula (new)

Tasula | 150 comments Try some of the following, and I concur with Child of Fire and Mike Carey. Sandman Slim and A Crooked Little Vein, in particular, plus Poppy Z Brite, Karen Taylor and Nancy Collins meet your criteria of DARK. W= Were V= Vamp SH=Shapeshifter R- some romance

Paranormal- Female heroines

Keri Arthur W R
Kelley Armstrong W R
Jenna Black V R
PD or Patricia Cacek W V
Karen Chance V R
Nancy Collins V
Mary Janice Davidson (very light, comic) V R
JOcelynn Drake V
Jeaniene Frost V
Sherry Gottlieb V
Laurell K Hamilton V SH W
Charlaine Harris (Sookie Stackhouse series) V W SH R
Kim Harrison V W R
Maria Lima W
Kelly Meding
Karen Marie Moning (Darkfever series) R
Chloe Neill
Jennifer Rardin V
Lilith Saintcrow (demons) R
Jeanne C Stein V
Sunny (sort of vamps) R
Karen Taylor V
Carrie Vaughn W SH R
Rachel Vincent W SH

Paranormal- misc. vamps, weres, sorcerers, etc.

Poppy Z Brite
Jim Butcher (wizard Harry Dresden series) V W
Harry Connolly
Joseph Curtin
Mick Farren V
M L N Hanover
Tanya Huff (the Blood series, and the Smoke series) V
J.F. Lewis V
T A Pratt

Alternate reality or alternate history

Steven Brust
Richard Kadrey (Sandman Slim)
Simon Green
Christopher Moore (fabulous) V
Kim Newman (with vamps) V
Kat Richardson
Maria Snyder

message 5: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 61 comments Brei wrote: "I am looking for a darker uf series something more along the lines of Makers Song/Night Huntress any suggestions?"

Brei, did you read Adrian Phoenix's other book? new series she is working on starts with Black Dust Mambo. I LOVE it almost as much as Makers Song!!!!

message 6: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 182 comments Unholy Ghosts is a series that gets better each book and is pretty dark.

message 7: by Omi (new)

Omi | 9 comments I have not read the Makers Song/Night Huntress series but think that Diana Rowland has a very dark/gritty writing style and they are fantastic books that I really recommend. She has written the Kara Gillian series which has 4 books out so far. There is also the White trash zombie series which has 1 book so far.

The author has worked in the police and in a morgue as well as some other interesting jobs so when she writes about the darker side of life it is really believable.

message 8: by Barry (new)

Barry James (mondragoran) | 25 comments Mine is definitely dark--don't let the cute guy on the front fool you. ;)

Dreams of Darkness Dreams of Darkness by Barry James