Bodice Ripper Readers Anonymous discussion

Group Reads and Challenges > February Group Read: Savage Ecstasy by Janelle Taylor

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennefer (new)

Jennefer (jenneferpracticex3) | 444 comments Mod
Yay! I'm excited about this one!
Savage Ecstasy by Janelle Taylor 1982
Savage Ecstasy (Gray Eagle, #1) by Janelle Taylor
GoodReads rating: 4.11
GoodReads description: It was like lightning striking, the first time they looked into each other's eyes: Gray Eagle, the captured Indian brave, and Alisha, the beautiful young settler. As the proud Oglala warrior was being tortured by his white captors, only Alisha seemed to notice that he was a human being-handsome and strong, and one who took her breath away.
Availability: This is out of print but looks like there are several copies out there so check out your favorite used book retailer. It is however avalable for Kindle for only $3! Bonus!

Discussion Questions: Most of the other books we have read in this group have been set in Europe while this is set in the wild American frontier..... how did you like the setting in this book? How does the setting make this book different than other BR's we have read? What was your favorite scene? Favorite character? If you could change one thing about this book what would it be? This is the first in a series (The Gray Eagle series) will you continue on with the series?

Please be considerate of others and use spoiler tags when revealing key plot elements.

You can now hide your 'spoilers' with the new spoiler tag instead of having to worry about leaving a space or censoring yourself! Just put <*spoiler><*/spoiler> before and after your spoiler (without the *) and your spoiler will be hidden with a link like this (view spoiler) Pretty cool huh! :)

message 2: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 189 comments Can't wait to hear what everyone thinks about Savage Ecstasy!! I read it in December... so in honor of the group read, I'm going to read the second book in the series, Defiant Ecstasy. :)

message 3: by Grace (new)

Grace Elliot (httpwwwgoodreadscomgraceelliot) | 24 comments looks interesting - checking it out.

message 4: by Jennefer (new)

I ordered this for my Kindle today! I will probably start it some time this weekend.

message 5: by Lorelle (new)

Lorelle | 25 comments I started the book yesterday and I am on page 190. This my first book by Janelle Taylor. Her style of writing flows naturally from page to page. I did get a bit sqeemish around pages 131-132.

TheGeekyBlogger Just got it on my kindle! Will be cracking it open this week!

message 7: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 189 comments Lorelle wrote: "I did get a bit sqeemish around pages 131-132."

Yes!.. especially what they did with the (view spoiler)...

message 8: by Sharon (last edited Feb 04, 2011 07:17PM) (new)

Sharon (sharjonm) | 193 comments SmittenKitten wrote: "Can't wait to hear what everyone thinks about Savage Ecstasy!! I read it in December....."

SmittenKitten, just finished this book. EXCELLENT - loved every page of it. Thank you for bringing this book to my attention.

RE the book: My... Some people have to learn their lessons the hard way! :-) and this little gal almost (view spoiler) learning hers.

I will be looking for the next one in this series.
Thanks again

TheGeekyBlogger I am so starting this tomorrow! I got a bit distracted by Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie----so funny :)

message 10: by Karla (last edited Feb 07, 2011 05:54AM) (new)

Karla | 1668 comments Mod
I finished it last night and have to say I was disappointed with it. :( So frustrating, since I've remembered this artwork for decades and finally discovered what book it belonged to. My excitement was too much for the book to live up to, I guess. I thought it was really unpolished and amateur with so much telling and not showing, a ham-handed use of the foreshadowing device, and a weak heroine. (Really, how many times can she be described as dainty, delicate, luminous, heart-breakingly beautiful, etc? She was an annoying Mary Sue without any special abilities.)

Also there were quite a few things that were inaccurate (use of military time, the uniforms, Fort Pierre, idioms). It threw me out of the story. It read like a mid-19th century western, yet it supposedly takes place in 1776.

I'll still read the rest of the series, though, because I did like Gray Eagle. I only wish that he'd been given a better story and heroine. My feelings about it are the same I had with The Wolf and the Dove - excellent character, but very mediocre story. The very OTT bodice-ripping elements elevated it, although that long and drawn-out finale nearly had me throwing it at the wall. I was glad to finally, finally finish it.

message 11: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 189 comments Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) wrote: "Really, how many times can she be described as dainty, delicate, luminous, heart-breakingly beautiful, etc? "

That was the most annoying part of the book for me... so redundant.. I was rolling my eyes, sick of reading over and over about how sweet and beautiful Alisha is.

However, yes I loved the book - probably because of the awesomeness that was Grey Eagle and his manipulative ways.

message 12: by Karla (last edited Feb 07, 2011 10:10AM) (new)

SmittenKitten wrote: "However, yes I loved the book - probably because of the awesomeness that was Grey Eagle and his manipulative ways."

That was the best part, but I can't bring myself to give a book over 3 stars just for one redeeming feature. :P It would make my 5 star ratings for well-rounded and solid BRs like The Flesh and the Devil & Forever My Love seem meaningless (to me, at least).

message 13: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (Rose_red) | 3 comments Just finished. I'd say this is, for me, a three star book. There were many eye rolling moments and the end was far too lengthy, but something just kept me going on this book.
First of all, I tend to love this setting and time period. I'm a big nerd for the book "Flash of the Firefly" which is somewhat similar in time period. So I was willing to give a lot of forgiveness to this book because of my preference for this setting.
When it comes to our heroine, I disliked our narrator's view of her more than I actually disliked Alicia herself. It was like Alicia was the Indian whisperer, but instead of Cesar Millan pinching a dog's neck while saying "tsst," Alicia batted her grass-green eyes, pumped her cleavage, and looked innocent. (view spoiler)
Gray Eagle- he was okay. I tend to rate my love of romance heroes on whether or not I think about them as I crawl into my warm, comfy bed at night after reading about them earlier in the day. Sorry Gray Eagle, I wasn't thinking about you much when I wasn't reading the book. You just didn't stay with me.
But your friend White Arrow, I wouldn't mind a series about you, White Arrow. (view spoiler) He reminded me of when I watched "Dances With Wolves" as a kid and had a crush on the character Smiles A Lot. I pictured White Arrow as a grown-up Smiles A Lot and was very happy.
And the writing... as other reviews have pointed out, the writing did feel like a freshman venture. I had a few favorite quotes such as "...He lifted her chin with his fingers and gazed into it," you mean even her chin is innocent yet womanly? Damn Alicia, those are some genes you possess!
And the awful foreshadowing did this book in from the start. (view spoiler)
The last chunk of the book felt tacked-on to me (view spoiler). The editing grew worse and worse, and there seemed little point to the entire event other than to reach a publisher-set minimum page requirement, and to throw one last obstacle to the main characters. Let's just say it dragged. Especially the ending itself. (view spoiler)
Yet, even through all of this, I wouldn't be surprised if I picked up the next book in the series to see the continuing adventures of the dashing Indian warrior and his chosen innocent child-woman. I'm interested in seeing where this series goes next, and at just what age Alicia actually grows up. I'm crossing my fingers for 30.

message 14: by Karla (new)

"Alicia batted her grass-green eyes, pumped her cleavage, and looked innocent." LMAO! Great visual there.

Great observation about White Arrow. As I read, though, I thought he was a simp because he was caught in Alicia's wide-eyed snare, but you're right about his position of knowledge.

Yes, the whole finale dragged on way too long IMO, and I think it's hilarious that even those who didn't really like it all that much feel compelled to read the second book. Some series do that. I'm hoping that JT eventually cleans up her act writing-wise.

message 15: by TheGeekyBlogger (new)

TheGeekyBlogger I couldn't get into the book---I am hoping it is just the timing so I am going to try and finish it at a later date. It might also be that I just got through reading the first 3 Catherine Anderson Comanche Series (love them) so I need spectacular to hook me in my Native American romance :)

message 16: by Jennefer (new)

I am just now starting this today... I'm not expecting much from what I am reading here, but I am still excited to get into it!

message 17: by TheGeekyBlogger (new)

TheGeekyBlogger It wasn't bad but I am a *moody* reader LOL I think I was in the mood for something more contemporary :) #badmoodyreader

message 18: by Jennefer (new)

I know how that goes! Sometimes its hard to tell if its a mood you will get over if you just start something else, or more of a craving that won't let you move on until it is satisfied! LOL

message 19: by Grace (new)

Grace Elliot (httpwwwgoodreadscomgraceelliot) | 24 comments Great to try a different setting though...

message 20: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (creeker) | 133 comments I really loved this book, but hated the ending. Now I gotta find the next book.

message 21: by Jennefer (new)

I'm really having a hard time getting into this... Only about 20% of the way into it and it's just not grabbing me. I will finish but it might take me a couple weeks, I'll be reading it in between some other books... but I will come back and comment when I finally finish. :)

message 22: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn Fletcher (speederina) | 131 comments I finished this book in one day. It took about 6-8 hours. A reasonable book overall, and pretty fun to read. This is the first Indian BR I've read, and it exceeded expectations.

Most of the other books we have read in this group have been set in Europe while this is set in the wild American frontier..... how did you like the setting in this book?

A nice change, I've always liked American frontier books.

How does the setting make this book different than other BR's we have read?

There's no civilized gentlemen or kings and queens around to moderate things. In short, there's no authority around to penalize the H for mistreating the h.

What was your favorite scene?
The locket and the fire. Or where (view spoiler)

Favorite character?

Gray Eagle was awesome, but I really liked Powchutu.

If you could change one thing about this book what would it be?

Get rid of the 'little did she know's and 'she would never know's. I knew everything that was going to happen 2 pages before it actually happened.

This is the first in a series (The Gray Eagle series) will you continue on with the series?

Definitely. I just have to see Chela gotten rid of. Oh, and definitely more Powchutu. And there's always more horrible mistreatment of the h to look forward to.

message 23: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jsills3) | 2 comments I just have to say I read this entire series years ago and I really enjoyed it.

message 24: by Jennefer (new)

Glad to hear it Jennifer! I struggled getting into this one, but I think I will have go back and give it another try sometime.