Catholic Readers discussion

Non Fiction > Lenten Read-A-Thon (idea?)

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by L (new)

L | 20 comments I love the idea!

message 2: by Lisa, Group handmaid (new)

Lisa | 169 comments Mod
I'm in!

message 3: by Carlos (new)

Carlos Torres (catcubano) | 22 comments I'll join in!

message 4: by Fr. Kyle (new)

Fr. Kyle (colonel4god) | 19 comments I'm up for it.

message 5: by Fr. Kyle (new)

Fr. Kyle (colonel4god) | 19 comments I have a reading blog. I can do some publicity on it for what its worth.

message 6: by Lisa, Group handmaid (new)

Lisa | 169 comments Mod
Kyle, that would be great! :)

I've made an invite for our 'event' (unfortunately we don't seem to be able to make events which last for more than one day) as part of this group.

Anyone have suggestions for a book we can read together?

message 7: by Fr. Kyle (new)

Fr. Kyle (colonel4god) | 19 comments The Science of the Cross by St. Edith Stein (it might be a little too dense)

Self-Abandonment to Divine Providence by Jean-Pierre Caussade

The Cross and the Beatitudes by Servant of God Fulton Sheen

The Dark Night of the Soul by St. John of the Cross

message 8: by Lisa, Group handmaid (new)

Lisa | 169 comments Mod
Self-Abandonment or The Cross and the Beatitudes both sound really interesting. St. Edith Stein might be, as you suggest, a little too 'involved', and I'd shy away from the Dark Night for a similar reason.

A suggestion from me: the First Part of the Introduction to the Devout Life?

message 9: by Fr. Kyle (new)

Fr. Kyle (colonel4god) | 19 comments The Cross and the Beatitudes is a pocket sized book of 91 pages. It's very short and to the point.

I've never read Self-Abandonment but have only heard good things.

message 10: by Fr. Kyle (new)

Fr. Kyle (colonel4god) | 19 comments I thought it might be out in time for Lent but it comes out a week after Ash Wednesday. :(

Although I wouldn't mind, reading Volume I of Jesus of Nazareth. His chapter on the temptation in the desert alone is worth a Lenten read.

message 11: by Lisa, Group handmaid (new)

Lisa | 169 comments Mod
Part I of Jesus of Nazareth was the book Anja and I tried reading through a couple of years ago. I don't know if she managed to get through it, but I know I didn't! I'd be willing to try again though, though I think we'd have to choose a part of it as it was a bit long to get through during Lent alone, as I remember.

message 12: by Renee (new)

Renee (bronterose) | 4 comments what about Scott Hahn - the Lamb's Supper? or Living the Mysteries

or Mark Shea (Mary, Mother of the Son) http://www.mark-shea.com/books.html

message 13: by Carina (new)

Carina (beloved121) | 43 comments Just letting you guys know that I'm in. Willing to read whatever book is chosen. :)

message 14: by Karina (new)

Karina (camomiletea) | 5 comments Self-Abandonment sounds good. There was also this book that I'd like to read over lent: Journey to Easter: Spiritual Reflections for the Lenten Season

message 15: by Fr. Kyle (new)

Fr. Kyle (colonel4god) | 19 comments So to recap all possible suggestions

Self-Abandonment to Divine Providence - Caussade

The Cross and the Beatitudes - Sheen

1st Part of the Introduction to the Devout Life - St. Francis de Sales

The Lamb's Supper - Hahn

Living the Mysteries - Hahn

Mary, Mother of the Son - Shea

Journey to Easter: Spiritual Reflections for the Lenten Season - B XVI

It might be time to start to choose one.

message 16: by Fr. Kyle (new)

Fr. Kyle (colonel4god) | 19 comments Personally my vote is for Self-Abandonment or Journey to Easter

message 17: by Lisa, Group handmaid (last edited Feb 15, 2011 06:51AM) (new)

Lisa | 169 comments Mod
I'd vote for Self-Abandonment or the Cross and the Beatitudes.

message 18: by Lisa, Group handmaid (new)

Lisa | 169 comments Mod
Oh wait...we can also make a POLL, hehe :)

message 19: by Fr. Kyle (new)

Fr. Kyle (colonel4god) | 19 comments I believe Self-Abandonment was originally written in French so was Introduction to the Devout Life. They might be the most likely to have Dutch translations

message 20: by Annie (new)

Annie | 3 comments I am in.

message 21: by Carina (new)

Carina (beloved121) | 43 comments Hi Anne, the more the merrier :)

message 22: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jgazmom) I would love to try this, but money is a big issue for me. Therefore if you picked something that is old enough to be in the public domain or popular enough to be in my community's public library it would be best for me and others who may be like me. :)

message 23: by L (new)

L | 20 comments Many libraries also have a MeLcat service that allows you to check out books from any other library around the country, the books are sent to your library for you to pick up. I use this service all the time.

message 24: by Lisa, Group handmaid (new)

Lisa | 169 comments Mod
Only a couple of days left to go folks, before the poll closes! So if you haven't already, please head over and cast your vote :D

message 25: by Carina (new)

Carina (beloved121) | 43 comments SO we are officially reading Self Abandonment to Divine Providence. The Kindle version is called Abandonment to Divine Providence.
See Link - http://amzn.to/hVgfpM

Is this version ok or do I need to order this one?
See Link - http://amzn.to/feueyV

I would much prefer to read the kindle edition. Please let me know if this is ok?

message 26: by Lisa, Group handmaid (new)

Lisa | 169 comments Mod
Let's find out asap as to whether the two titles are equal. I think they might be, but let's get out there and ask the knowledgeables, just to be sure. The sooner we know, the sooner we can all get our (Kindle)copies.

message 27: by Renee (last edited Feb 22, 2011 02:48PM) (new)

Renee (bronterose) | 4 comments for those non-kindle ereaders i have found the following links.
https://www.tanbooks.com/index.php/Ab...

http://www.christianbook.com/abandonm...

Can we confirm that these are the same too?

message 28: by Carina (new)

Carina (beloved121) | 43 comments I'm thinking we should all just go with the copy that we can get online for free -

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/decaussade/a...

message 29: by Fr. Kyle (new)

Fr. Kyle (colonel4god) | 19 comments I mentioned it to a Pauline who said they are probably the same thing. From my noticing it seems later publishing dates add the "self" to the title because the kindle version and ccel version are old publishing date

message 30: by Carina (new)

Carina (beloved121) | 43 comments Thanks Kyle, think I'll just go with the kindle version and contribute my thoughts from that version as we go through the book.

message 31: by Lisa, Group handmaid (new)

Lisa | 169 comments Mod
*taps foot*

I'm (im)patiently waiting for my copy to arrive! Lent begins in a week!

message 32: by Fr. Kyle (new)

Fr. Kyle (colonel4god) | 19 comments Do y'all have a schedule ready? Or are you waiting for the book to do the schedule?

message 33: by Carina (new)

Carina (beloved121) | 43 comments In case of emergency, don't forget that there is a free copy of the book online in PDF format.

message 34: by Fr. Kyle (new)

Fr. Kyle (colonel4god) | 19 comments Here's the link of my blogpost advertising the reading http://reverencedreading.blogspot.com...

message 35: by Robert (new)

Robert (rhlogic) Good idea. I am currently reading "New proofs for the existence of God" (I am of little faith, am I ?) by Fr. Robert Spitzer. But I Should be able to take on another one more devotional, less scientific and philosophical. Let me see your suggestions.

And Yes! I love Benedict the XVI! Long live the Pope! (I saw your little banner here).

message 36: by Carlos (new)

Carlos Torres (catcubano) | 22 comments Kyle wrote: "Here's the link of my blogpost advertising the reading http://reverencedreading.blogspot.com..."

This is awesome, Kyle! There's nothing like a little free marketing. ;)

message 37: by Robert (new)

Robert (rhlogic) I got it! I just ordered to my library "I loved Jesus in the Night" by Mother Theresa.

Is a book I've been mulling to read. But I think this is a good opportunity. Thanks!

message 38: by Carina (new)

Carina (beloved121) | 43 comments Kyle wrote: "Do y'all have a schedule ready? Or are you waiting for the book to do the schedule?"

Thinking the same thing as Kyle now.

message 39: by Carina (new)

Carina (beloved121) | 43 comments I'm OK with all 310 pages if time permits for everyone. Anja, if you think this is not reasonable for 40 days then we can maybe just do 1 or 2 books from the second section.

message 40: by L (new)

L | 20 comments I'm fine either way, I can do 310 pages in 40 days. I don't think the version I have has the second part, I'll have to check. Either way hopefully it's on the free download version.