What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Adult Fiction - Magnolia in Title? Ghosts and mystery in the th bayou. Read in papaerback format around 2004-2005?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Faith (new)

Faith | 19 comments I am looking for the name of an adult fiction book, which I believed had the word magnolia in the title. The book is set on a plantation in Louisiana, I think. There is definitely a bayou involved at some point. A woman moves to a small town and sees ghosts there. The story centers around a mystery, which I believe involves a murder. There is definitely a significant scene in a swamp. I also think there is a focus on returning the main house to its original state. I read the book in paperback format around 2004-2005. There may be a J in the author's name, but not sure about that. Thanks for your help.

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) Is it...

Magnolia Moon (Callahan Brothers, #3) by JoAnn Ross

message 3: by Faith (new)

Faith | 19 comments I am not sure. I want to say I ruled out that book before, though it does seem to fit a lot of the criteria. But, I may have to obtain a copy to double check. Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it. Once I have read at least a portion of the book, I will let you know whether or not it's the right one.

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (classyfied) | 25 comments Faith wrote: "I am not sure. I want to say I ruled out that book before, though it does seem to fit a lot of the criteria. But, I may have to obtain a copy to double check. Thanks for the feedback. I really ..."
You can go to the book's page on Goodreads and read a preview. It's under the cover and says "Google preview."

message 5: by bookwoman (new)

bookwoman | 1 comments Faith wrote: "I am looking for the name of an adult fiction book, which I believed had the word magnolia in the title. The book is set on a plantation in Louisiana, I think. There is definitely a bayou involve..."

Is it Midnight Bayou by Nora Roberts? Your question also reminded me of Carolina Moon by Nora Roberts. Hope this helps.

message 6: by Lori (new)

Lori (lhmosca) | 0 comments midnight in the garden of good and evil?
that's what immediately popped into my mind. but no magnolia in the title :)

message 7: by SandyC (new)

SandyC (sandyc88) I also thought it might be Midnight Bayou by Nora Roberts .

message 8: by Faith (new)

Faith | 19 comments First off, I apologize for my late response. Thank you all for your help. Lori, it is definitely not Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, but I do love that tale. Rachel, I did as you suggested and utilized the Google preview. I didn't see the scene I remember on the pages available, still something about the story felt familiar. Her Royal Orangeness and Sandy, I just ordered the books you suggested. Once I figure out which one it is, I will let you know and move this to the solved folder. Once again, thanks so much for your assistance.

message 9: by HeavyReader (new)

HeavyReader | 450 comments Faith, did any of those titles end up being the right one? Would love to be able to move this to a solved folder...

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
Perhaps it is Bloodroot by Susan Wittig Albert. It's part of a series about various plants and herbs. This one has the main character, China Bayles, going to her family's old home in the South.

message 11: by Faith (new)

Faith | 19 comments Needleroozer wrote: "Faith, did any of those titles end up being the right one? Would love to be able to move this to a solved folder..."

So far, none of the ones suggested have been right. They were close, but not quite correct. Feel free to move the thread, however, if you need to. Thanks.

message 12: by HeavyReader (new)

HeavyReader | 450 comments No, we don't need to move the thread if you haven't found your book. I just wanted to check in and make sure you hadn't abandoned the thread. Feel free to bump it up every so often if it ends up way down at the end of the list.

message 13: by Gini (new)

Gini (camp80) | 59 comments Faith wrote: "First off, I apologize for my late response. Thank you all for your help. Lori, it is definitely not Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, but I do love that tale. Rachel, I did as you sugges..."

This is a very slim chance but could it be: Walk of the Spirits?

It's about a girl that moves into a dilapidated plantation home and begins seeing ghosts of people I think are related to me. I don't I never read it.

message 14: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40166 comments Mod
Faith, are you still looking for this book?

message 15: by Faith (new)

Faith | 19 comments Yes. I am still looking.

message 16: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
If you bump the thread up each month Faith, you'll have a better chance of getting it ID'ed. Most people aren't as dedicated as Lobstergirl and don't go back more than a few pages when reading the threads.

message 17: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40166 comments Mod
Still looking?

message 18: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36029 comments Mod
How about Mimosa Grove by Dinah McCall?

message 19: by Arielle (new)

Arielle Masters | 252 comments bumping - Faith, any of these?

Ghost Stories: 20 Famous Modern Ghost Stories
by Magnolia Books (Editor)
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

or

[search for "magnolia" in "The New Orleans of Fiction: A Research Guide
By James A. Kaser"]

https://books.google.com/books?id=SVY...

message 20: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 20964 comments Still looking, Faith?